Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Timing a Villiers Engine

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 10638 times

Old 01-23-2010, 04:19 AM
Registered-I

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Timing a Villiers Engine

Can someone please advise how to correctly time a villiers singlr cylinder engine please. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 06:24 AM
Registered-III

Liked 281 Times in 205 Posts
Default Re: timing a Villiers engine

OK,sorry don't know your first name however that will come out,firstly I need to know what model you have as some are timed a little differently,(3/16 inch against 1/8 inch BTDC).They are easy to do if you take the head off oh and when you have them timed right and running well mark them for yourself.NO oil on shaft of flywheel as they will slip if they backfire.Tell me your model and if I have the book I will send you the page.Very important that you set the point gap before timing as changing the gap changes the timing----12 to 15 thous is good,Keep cranking and let us know how you are going,Norm
Old 01-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Registered-I

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Timing a Villiers Engine

Hi Norm,
Thank you for your response. I am not sure of the model as it has no identifying marks but I attach a couple of shots which may assist you. It is on an Allen Oxford Scythe. Hope you can assist.Regards George. PS first time I have tried to load pictures so hope they are attached!!Click image for larger version

Name:	P1270099.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	72413

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1270100.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	72414

Name:	P1270101.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	72415

Name:	P1270102.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	72416
Old 01-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Registered-III

George,received your PM,be aware that the engine you are running is in fact a 2 stroke.I am sorry I don't have any info on them but will be seeing a Villiers wizard tomorrow at an auction sale.Until we can get some more info run her at 25 to one or better still wait until I can find someone who knows what the mix is and what oil as some of these old girls ran on 30 weight engine oil in the fuel.Will be on this means tomorrow night,bye for now,Norm
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 01-31-2010, 02:44 AM
Registered-I

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hi Norm,

Thank you for your response. I am running a mix of 1 part XL30 to 20 parts petrol as marked on the fuel tank. The spark seems to be the problem.

Regards

George
Old 01-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Registered-III

George,sounds like a good mix to me.I stuffed up today as I forgot to ask my mate about the timing----when I got to the auction a slinky young thing in hot pants quite took my attention and I forgot to ask the questions.Will call my mate tomorrow when both of our hearts have settled down and get some info.Running too lean can cause backfireing. Norm.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Registered-III

George,finally got the info from John.Points 12 to 15 thous,as I said when you described the way it is cutting out may be running lean---to fix this there is a screw in the top of the throttle slide turn this ANTI clockwise 1 turn this will allow the needle in the slide to open further and this will richen the mixture.Keep us in the loop on how you are going,all the best,Norm
Old 02-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Registered-III

George,further to my previous posting don't run her for too long without the cooling cowls on as she will seize and "snatch" the rings,Norm
Old 02-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Registered-II

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi,
Your Allen Scythe has a Villiers Mk 25c two stroke engine.
According to the "Working Instructions" booklet
The spark plug gap should be .015 of an inch.
The spark is timed to take place 5/32" before tdc
Fuel- 16:1 (30 grade oil)
Your engine has a governing device.
At approximately 2,400rpm the ignition cuts out for one or two revolutions
(this can be adjusted)
If you have trouble obtaining a spark, it's usually a faulty coil and/or condenser.

Lets know if your require any further information.

cheers
Alan
Old 02-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Registered-III

Alan,good info from the land of the long white cloud,(used to crack sheep jokes about you guys till I found out Grandfather was born in Opaho).If you have a copy of the operating manual can I buy or beg a copy on my PM as no one here appears to have one.As an Australian soldier I was last in KIWI land in 65 teaching your tankies to drive Centurion Tanks,at Wairou god it was cold for a lad who was used to sunshine and beaches.Keep up the good work,I don't bowl underarm,Norm.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:00 AM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpickett View Post
Hi Norm,
Thank you for your response. I am not sure of the model as it has no identifying marks but I attach a couple of shots which may assist you. It is on an Allen Oxford Scythe. Hope you can assist.Regards George. PS first time I have tried to load pictures so hope they are attached!!Attachment 72413

Attachment 72414

Attachment 72415

Attachment 72416
This is a model TS[minus its tyres!] All info you have been given [Norm, Alan]good. I am probably too late on the scene but the following might help someone else. If capacitor[condenser-changed name in 1941] coil and points are OK and timing set right you should be able to get a nice blue spark off a bare plug lead shorted out on the stator back plate at least 1/4" long if you spin the engine over with a cordless drill. Remove the starter cord pulley block;put a bolt in the drill chuck with a head that will fit a 3/8 drive 7/16 socket,and drive engine on the rotor/flywheel retaining nut on end of crankshaft. Check capacitor OK by connecting AVO/test meter to plug lead set to resistence 1KOhms
+lead to end of plug lead - to the stator back plate. When setting flywheel rotor you are trying to get max mag flux change just as the points open to callapse the primary circuit. Set the points 16 thou on points cam high spot. Now set the engine to TDC.Then set the flywheel. Some hand books say set arrow on flywheel rim to mark cut on the boss on the back plate;BUT some engines were set differently -- they have groove cut into one side of the end of the crankshaft and this must be set to the top verticle position which is TDC and the flywheel arrow set in line above it.[This is a significant no of crank degrees retarded and reflects changes made to the position of rotor mags in manufacture] This change in timing procedure is in the machine hand book if you have the right one! Oh and yes don't run with cowl off - especially in hot climate. Handbook available to copy on www.rescuingthepast.co.uk. Tyres on www.villiersparts.co.uk Happy Scything
Old 06-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi i have allan scythe with villiers engine noR41275 this might sound like a silly question but how do i get the cover of so ican get to set the timing and the points has i have no spark as this machine as been left outside in all weather with no cover on.I have just bought it