Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 75.0ENT - maintenance tips needed

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 2887 times

Old 01-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Onan 75.0ENT - maintenance tips needed

Hi, I'm an engineer at a TV station and we have a generator for emergency power. It's a Natural Gas powered 75kw Onan with a turbo Ford 460.
Model: 75.0ENT-15R/19566A
Serial: K860853081
Engine Model Number: LSG-8751-6005-A

Long story short, its now my job to service it and I have no information to go on. I need help with:

1) Oil Type. The unit is outdoors with a circulating coolant heater/pump.
My understanding is natural gas powered engines should only use a straight weight. Is this true? Because I'd really like to use an HD 5w-40 (New England weather....)

2) Grease. Are there any zerks for bearings or the governor or what not? I haven't spotted any yet, but there must be some right?

3) Manual. Does anyone have one they could provide/e-mail me? Eternal gratefulness would ensue.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2010, 01:11 AM
Subscriber

Liked 1,030 Times in 811 Posts
Default Re: Onan 75.0ENT - maintenance tips needed

I can't help you with your specific questions, your generator is a little too new for any of the manuals I have. However I can tell you a little basic information based on your model and serial numbers. As you already know its a 75KW Natural gas powered generator, the voltage code -15 means it is a 12 lead reconnectable generator end that can be set for most common 1 and 3 phase voltages, and was built in November of 1986. If the generator onboard gauges are analog dials it is most likely equipped with the popular and long lived "Detector" controller which was introduced in the mid 1980's.

Ike
Old 01-29-2010, 08:20 AM
Registered-III

Liked 3,304 Times in 1,514 Posts

One of my "offices" has a similar sized
Kohler using a turbocharged 460 on propane. We use 15W40 in it, and
have had no oil related issues other than a valve cover leak. Assuming the coolant heater is functional, the engine will be somewhat warm at startup anyway.

BTW, the 460 in that application really likes fuel. If you run it very much, expect a substantial bill from your gas supplier.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Registered-III

Liked 970 Times in 535 Posts

Have ran 10W30 Shell Rotella and Valvoline Fleet in many of these for outdoor application up here. Use the 15W40 if an indoor unit.

As for the governor, if you're talking belt-driven mechanical governor, there are no grease zerks. It carries a small amount of oil internally. There should be a 1/8" npt plug on top for filling, and one on the rear of it for checking level. Kind of a pain in the butt to get both fingers in there to loosen it up, but you back out the rear plug until it just about falls out, should have oil seeping from the threads. If not , pull top plug and add small amount of 10W30 until it starts flowing out the back, then slap the rear plug in quick. Governor has to be removed from engine to drain the oil out of one of the holes for changing oil. Most never get the oil changed. I check the level at every inspection, and change the oil in them when the belts get changed. Make sure the drive belt for that governor always has 1/2-3/4" slack in it to. Run it tight, and it will literally "explode" eventually.

As Wayne mentioned, ensure coolant heater is operating correctly.

What books are you looking for? I can get you the Operators Manual if you like, and possibly the others. PM me with a good email address and let me know.

eric
Old 01-29-2010, 10:00 AM
In Memory Of

Liked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts

I do not know if you will find this info. relevant, but during a ice storm caused power outage, I ran a LP fuel small engine powered generator. This generator, a 11 HP Briggs/5000 watt for six days shutting it down only four times for checking the oil. The oil I used was Mobile ONE 10W-30 synthetic oil. Briggs does NOT recommend 30 weight oil below 40 degrees F.
If I were you I would go to a Ford Industrial Engine Dealer to find out what range of oil viscosity's are recommended for this engine. I think a 10w-30 oil will be in there somewhere. I also think the higher stability of a synthetic oil would be a good match for the heat generated by a turbo. This would be especially true in the turbo bearing area to limit COKING of the oil if the turbo is not run through a cooling cycle before engine shutdown. Coking in a turbo, if you have never heard of this, Is when the engine the turbo is on is shutdown immediately after loading with the turbo at a high temperature causing the oil in the turbo bearing area cook turning to carbon. This will cause the oil passages to become compromised leading to improper bearing oiling and failure of the turbo. This has been long known the the trucking industry. Most heavy duty turbo-charged diesel trucks have a warning label instructing the driver to idle the engine 2 to 3 minute before shutting the engine down.

Kent
Old 01-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Subscriber

Liked 8,482 Times in 4,023 Posts

It is for the most part just a truck engine. There are no grease fittings on it. Keep the block heater working and run it once a week. Most of the engine parts you can buy at any auto parts house. Onan did change a few things to make it a generator engine,fan drive,gov,sensors. But tune up stuff,starter,water pump. Is all Ford.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

So multi viscosity oil is no problem in this Nat. Gas engine?

Also, the grease zerk thing, I meant are there any on the generator section.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Subscriber

No Onan used a sealed for life bearing. Used to see them on the old gensets and still see them on some. But Onan no longer has them.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:27 PM
In Memory Of

Liked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts

The only thing that is a little different with a gaseous fueled engine than a gasoline fueled engine is when exercizing the generator. If you do not run the engine long enough for the oil tempature to get above 212 degrees F, there will more combustion generated water found in the oil. If you run it long enough for the oil to come to temapature you should not have a problem. Watch the engine cololent temp. when exercize to be sure it hit around 190 degrees F and you run it there for sometime, you should not have a problem. Watch the dipstick for moisture near the top. If you find moisture there you need to run the engine at either a higher temp or for a longer time.

Kent
Old 01-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good to know. I think the only reason it has survived 6 years of neglect is that it is set to run every 2 weeks for an hour.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I got working on the generator today and got a lot done.
New belts, some hoses, a new block heater, oil and coolant change.
Ended up using 5w-40 Rotella T6.

I spent a ton of time cross-referencing part numbers, so for the next SmokeStak-er here's the list:

Oil Filter - Wix 51459 (original was a 51452, but plenty of room for the oversized)
Air Filter - Wix 46037

Belts-
Fan - Gates 9470
Governor - Gates 9463
Alternator - Gates 9365

One last issue though, I found a broken sensor that was bolted to the cyl head. According to the parts manual (thanks E.W.!), it's a LOW temperature switch. Onan PN 309-0269.
I found it online for $67, seems like a waste of money because everything is running fine. Anyone got a source for a cheaper alternative?

Any danger in just leaving it alone? What does it do? Out of curiosity, I grounded the wire that was connected to it, no lights or gauges changed.
Attached Thumbnails
Part 1.1.jpg  
Old 02-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Subscriber

That is a low engine temp switch. Tells you when the block is cold. Used mainly when you have a remote warning panel. I wouldn't worry about it unless you need the alarm.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Registered-I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thats good news, because there is no remote warning panel. Spare parts! Thanks!