Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

How To Test Kohler Rectifier?

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 24080 times

Old 03-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Registered-II

Default How To Test Kohler Rectifier?

Can anyone tell me how to bench test a Kohler rectifier , model 41-403-06 . It has the three posts , 2 AC , and 1 B+ . Is there a way to test this off the unit , on the bench with a muiltimeter/ or what type tester ? What readings do I look for . Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: How To Test Kohler Rectifier ?

take the connector and put a lead from a volt meter on each

A/C lead it will not mater what lead goes where . set your

meter on A/C scale @200 volts.

start the engine set the throttle against the governor(high

rpm) read the meter should read 27 volts. if not you have

27 volts you have a bad stator. If you have 27 volts a/c.

connect the connector on the rectifier,restart the engine

(make sure it has a good ground at the rectifier to block)

set the meter on 20 volt scale D/C ground the ground lead on

the block and probe the B+ terminal shoud have 13 to 15 volt

d/c. if not you have a bad rectifier

mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Fralick:
Old 03-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Registered-III

Default How To Test Kohler Rectifier ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHC View Post
Can anyone tell me how to bench test a Kohler rectifier , model 41-403-06 . It has the three posts , 2 AC , and 1 B+ . Is there a way to test this off the unit , on the bench with a muiltimeter/ or what type tester ? What readings do I look for . Thanks
Yes, You can bench test it with a Ohmmeter! I will have to try and see if I can find the picture of your rectifier to tell you for sure the procedure, but this will get you started!

If it has three legs, two AC and one + as you indicate it would be a FULL WAVE rectifier! The +is POSitive DC output end of the rectifier!
Place ONE probe of the Meter (use the BLACK lead), (use RX1 scale) on the + and the RED probe to the AC terms, ONE at a time and compare the readings! They should read the same on the Ohms scale, either infinity (max) or both with same lower readings! Main thing is they both read the same as you leave the Black probe on the + term. Now reverse the probes (RED probe to pos+) and read as before, leaving the red probe on the + and the black to each AC term. The reading should be the same! When you reverse the red and black probes to take the readings if a or the readings stay low the or a diode is shorted! If the or A reading stays high their is a open! (their are two diodes in the epoxy with the diodes CATHODES+ tied together at the + terminal and each individual diode anode at the AC terminal! If you find it's bad we can tell you how to buy a replacement without going to Kohler Unless its a special size and mounting physically! I've cut-off the = term on shorted diodes and solder the replacements to the AC terms, drill a hole for a new+ anchor and then use HOT MELT cement glue to insulate all, etc! I'll come back if I find exact pic's of your part number and see any changes, etc!
The Following User Says Thank You to Arkie:
Old 03-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Registered-III

Fralick above gave you the procedure for taking voltage readings and would be the most user friendly way of testing your rectifier unit! I look at the pic of the $70 unit and it kinda indicates it's a 15 amps unit!
Check the input at the AC terms for ac voltage and for a DC output voltage! This is a real world test and will give you an idea also if your stator windings are OK and if it's send a DC to your rotor brushs!

Later!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Registered-II

It is a 15 Amp . I cant test it with the engine running , it wont start , NO spark . Replaced the coil , after burning out two . This is why I want to check the rectifer . Key/ignition checks OK , havent changed the condensor yet . Definitly not geting spark though . Yes I am a little ignorant wen it comes to the ingition system . Thanks for your replys and help though .
Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Registered-III

the charging system has not thing to do with the starting side of the electrial system
mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Fralick:
Old 03-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Subscriber

DaveHc; I know this isn't what you asked about but you don't say what kind of Kohler your working on. If it's a Magnum series and maybe some others if you put battery voltage to the coil it will burn out. They are a ground to stop ignition not a voltage to start.

Mark:
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Birdeau:
Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Registered-III

Dave:

I think you need to re-install the rectifier aznd forget about it for now and go to the ignition system! This rectifier should not have anything related to the ignition system, unless someone has wired the unit wrong! The ignition system is normally not related to the generator voltages!
What is the Model number on your unit?

If it's eating the ignition coils, you may have a bad ignition resistor if it has such! This is a current limiting resistor in series with the + terminal of the coil, or if it's electronic ignition we need to know the Model number of your unit! A bad condenser normall would not ruin coils, just points!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Registered-II

Mark , Good point , should have mentioned that . It's a 14 HP Kohler on my unknown year Economy tractor . Battery start , no starter/gen. just starter .
Old 03-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Registered-III

Send us a Model number
AND I'm sure I seen a real good Kohler ignition system site awhile back showing their different ignition systems and how to test such! If I find such I'll post! Try a google search for Kohler ignition systems and see what you find!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Registered-II

Far as I can tell there is no model number left on it . I changed the dash ,[ which I understand is where the model/serial number is ] , because the one that was on it was all cut up . I have an Economy repair manual with the electrical , and matched it up as close as I could with the way mine is set up . I got this about three years ago , played with it some then , with no problems . This winter got around to redoing it and it wouldnt start . Changed the coil ,[no spark] , and was fine for about two hours of pushing snow , and then the same thing again , no spark . Now trying to find out what is going on .
Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts

Need the MODEL NUMBER of the engine. If it is a true 14 HP K-series Kohler it should be a K-321. If this is a K-321, As stated by others this will not cause the engine to eat coils. The coil used by a K-series Kohler are normally coils with an Internal resisiter. If you were using a NON -resister coil, you have most likely also burnt to point so they are also bad. Replace the coil with the correct one and also install a new set of points to get your engine running. With the correct coil, you should not have any further problems unless the rectifier/regulator is bad causing the battery NOT to charge.

Kent
The Following User Says Thank You to K D Redd:
Old 03-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Registered-III

Dave:

Here is a Kohler link for FREE download manuals and info! I stumbled across this in my SAVED engine stuff while looking for something else and remember your thread!
Somewhere at this link I think I seen a real good Kohler igniton system info for the different systems!

http://www.kohlerengines.com/manuals/landing.htm
Old 03-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fralick View Post
the charging system has not thing to do with the starting side of the electrial system
mark
it does when the charging system has stopped working and the ignition system is battery ignition. in that case you can test the engines ignition system by connecting up another battery with a set of jumpercables. i had to do this with my 1977 john deere garden tractor. the alternator's stator coil had failed. so we had to run the engine with good charged up battery until we put a good stator coil on the engine. keeps the lights on and battery charged these days!
Old 06-15-2014, 01:50 PM
Registered

A few years ago Arkie said that you could bench test a 41-403-06 with a ohmmeter. Perhaps you can. However, the 41-403-09 cannot be tested using the procedure Arkie recommended since it is not a simple diode bridge. If you try the ohmmeter test, the results will make you think the rectifier regulator is blown, but it isn't. Here are the results of the Arkie test on a good 41-403-09

Positive (red) lead to B+ and negative (black) to AC.

B+ to AC1 0 ohms
B+ to AC2 infinity

Flip the polarity, that is, negative (black) lead to B+ and positive (red) to AC.

AC1 to B+ 0 ohms
AC2 to B+ infinity

That is, you would have the same readings regardless of polarity. You can also check resistance from the AC lugs to ground (to the metal case of the regulator rectifier). It's always infinity no matter the lug and no matter the polarity. Since these readings don't match Arkie's suggestion, you'll likely throw away a good regulator rectifier, buy another, throw that one away, and so on until you finally realize they can't all be bad and dig them back out of the garbage!

A proper test requires AC on the input and a good ground on the case since the ground is the sink for excess voltage. The best way to achieve this is to leave it mounted on the motor and follow Mark Fralick's testing suggestion. Make double sure the regulator case is grounded to the engine block. Sometimes it's mounted on a plastic shroud and must be grounded with a short strap or wire going to a screw holding the shroud to the block.

If your motor doesn't run or your stator produces no power, and you need to check a stand-alone regulator, find a Kohler regulator tester. It costs more than $100 so don't buy one. Instead go to a Kohler shop and ask him to test it for you.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Registered-III

The Kohler Regulator/Rectifier tester works the best. I was able to buy one from a friend with some other small engine tools. You just plug it in and follow the instructions sheet based on what type Amp system you have, I have found this is the easiest was to test these units.

Also if I remember correctly you should have like 26VDC come off the stator and most regulators brake it down to like 14.3 volts.

~ Jonathan
Old 06-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Registered-III

That's a regulator not a rectifier, and the correct way to test it is to have the engine running. You should have AC-probably 18 or more volts to the AC terms, and DC battery voltage to the DC term. Should see voltage on the DC side gradually rising to at least 13 vdc or more(if the battery is discharged it could take hours to charge up to 13 vdc, so best to start with a charged battery, but generally if voltage is steadily rising, it's OK. No AC voltage, the stator is open. No DC voltage and there is a broken wire between the battery and regulator. Voltage but not charging the regulator is fried.

I had a ground wire fall off my mower once, and I Mistakenly connected it to the battery terminal. Fried two coils.
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto:
Old 06-17-2014, 08:03 AM
Registered

That's my point. The 41-403-09 is not merely a rectifier, but a rectifier + regulator and cannot be bench tested as if it were just a bridge rectifier. I'm amazed as how many people view this thread, and I was concerned that quite a few would try the ohmmeter test on a 41-403-09.