New Server!
Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps, washers and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Meyers Hay Unloader

I am beginning to restore a Meyers OK Hay Unloader. The plan is to make a functional display for...

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 4793 times

Old 03-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Registered-II

Default Meyers Hay Unloader

I am beginning to restore a Meyers OK Hay Unloader. The plan is to make a functional display for the shows with a short piece of track and some hay to pick up with the fork. Does anyone know the proper color for the hay trolley? I found traces of silver paint but don't know if that is correct. Also, this trolley uses a double rail system made of two T-shaped pieces of metal. I have tried to find the dimensions of the rails but have been unsuccessful. I would like to know so I could find suitable track. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Meyers Hay Unloader

I have one with traces of silver paint too. I would have to say that is the original color. If I get a chance I will try to get you the dimensions of the track. Jesse
Old 03-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Registered-II

UGH! The one I have is a Ney. I am sorry about that. I do have the dimensions of my track. I do not know if they would be the same as what you need. It is 3/16" thick. the legs on the angle are 3/4" by 1 and 1/16". The wheels ride on the 3/4" wide part. Every 24" between the the track there is a 3/4" (wrench size) square nut that is riveted. I hope this helps. Jesse
The Following User Says Thank You to JBdairy:
Old 03-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Registered-II

Hi Scott
I have a 1949 Myers hay unloading tool catalog; I have a pic of the track and hardware, I will try and send it, i can't make it any smaller???
Your car should be adjustable for 2 1/2" for myers track, or can be set for 2" track from other makes??? Adjusting bushings are inside or outside the frame on the wheel axles to set spacing???
Yes, silver color is a good color. If I were to do it, I would paint the lettering Black to give it that little extra show???
My book shows 2 models of O K cars
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
scan0001.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Whitney:
Old 03-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Subscriber

There is a complete system still in our main museum building which was formerly a dairy barn. I could get the dimensions for you within the next couple of days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne Riedlinger:
Old 04-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Registered-II

Here is a picture of a myers from my collection I won't say that it has been restored 100% original, as the wheels would have been silver as well, but everything else is correct. (for the record don't get too hung up on restoring carriers to 100% original, they aren't tractors you can have a little more fun with them as most carriers only got a plain coat of silver, gray, red, or blue depending of company) As for track width for the myers I can't recall off the top of my head for the double T track but it is the standard wide guage which is I'm pretty sure 2.5 inches (that is the gap between the track wheels)

Old 04-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Registered-III

Covert,

How did you go about painting the raised lettering on your unit? I'm getting ready start thinking about painting raised lettering on a bone cutter I cleaned up recently and I want as many opinions as I can get. One fellow spoke of using a hard rubbber roller like a printer might use. So far I see that as being the best idea.

http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/s...Bone%20Cutter/

Bruce
Old 04-03-2010, 06:06 PM
Registered-II

The way that we do it is after we get our base coat/primary color on, we use a very fine bristled paint brush and a very steady hand.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Meyers Hay Unloader

cool i just found all that in the yard. track. the stopers. the fork. and the Meyer that runes on the track.