Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Motors General Discussion Antique Generators, Light Plants and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Motors General Discussion

Kohler K90 generator?

Im not sure, but i think this is a kohler k90 or 91, there is no kohler stamped on the front...

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1966 times

Old 03-23-2010, 05:07 AM
Subscriber

Default Kohler K90 generator?

Im not sure, but i think this is a kohler k90 or 91, there is no kohler stamped on the front cover,on the generator it read craftsman alternator, it has a batter charger(i have the cables) a 20 amp glass fuse and two 110 volt outlits. the id tag (very bad conditiong) says craftsman and reads model 143-614102 serial #3212? i dont think this engine was ever ran, the spark plug with the paint overspray looks new inside, the inside of the combustion chamber looks new, the inside of the gas tank looks new.. it defanatly sat somplace where it was exposed to light weather for some point,and had lots of furry and 8 leg friends ill post more pics later but here is what ive got

it has no spark, right now, ive got the cover off and ill clean points tomorrow.

My main question is after i blow it all off and clean the carb will it hurt the alt to run so i can check it with it being unused all these years? should i take it apart first and clean this and that?????

there is a box on the side pic that has a cable from the gen to inside of the engine, the box is badly corroded, i have no idae what it is/???

thanks in advance any help or infor would be very cool and valued.

Thanks Joe
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Kohler K90 generator?

That is a Tecumseh engine. It is a 3-1/2 hp H35-45133H. I had the same 1250 watt genset come thru my shop for repair a while back. The 143.614102 number on the shroud converts over to the Tecumseh numbers I give above. The unit I repaired dated to 1974 by serial number. Yours is a 1973 model. Your machine does look like it did more sitting than running. The paint is still on the muffler!

Last edited by Brian Lynch; 03-23-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: more info
Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,418 Posts
Exclamation Re: Kohler K90 generator?

The engine is a Techumpseh, not Kohler. The air filter should still be available. if you could give us a pic of the box, we might be able to tell you what it is for. You might take a look at the brushes and commutator, and make sure they are clean of corrosion before starting, you don't want to tear them up.

You might find a series of numbers stamped into the engine flywheel housing, either in the top or on the side, next to the carb, that will give you a code to tell what HP and year. A good mower shop should be able to convert the sears numbers to regular Techumpseh numbers for you.

Brian and I must have been typing at the same time! H-35 would have been my guess. The engine tag looks like it is under the fuel tank, pretty badly corroded. I would have a close look at all wiring before starting, due to the corrosion I see. make sure there is no free rust within the generator housing.
Andrew
Old 03-23-2010, 01:44 PM

Thanked 1,684 Times in 1,121 Posts
Talking Re: Kohler K90 generator?

The Box on the back, with the transformer on it's top is part of the Exciter Voltage Feedback, and Voltage Regulation System.... I had one very similar, and it was my FIRST Genset... Gave it to a friend for his Motorhome back in the day... Cute little Unit....
Old 03-24-2010, 02:21 AM
Subscriber

Well if it was ever ran it was at the factory to test fire it, nice shiney bore you can still see the machining scratches and the exhaust valve looks like its brass. i got lucky and dident break any rusted bolts or nuts in the process

Old 03-24-2010, 02:27 AM
Subscriber

few more pics