Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan Generator Green paint code?

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2578 times

Old 03-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Registered-I

Default Onan Generator Green paint code?

Can anyone steer me to the correct Green paint code. Preferbly PPG (omni). thanks,
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,425 Times in 1,900 Posts
Default Re: Onan Generator Green paint code?

I took a piece of my sheet metal to my buddy at the body shop & he sent it with his sales rep. to match. What I got was PPG paint. It is epoxy enamel, had to mix the hardener into it. Onan has used several “greens” over the years, got another JC couple weeks ago from late 1960s that is slightly metallic looking, original, real pretty color.
Have not paid for the paint yet, was told to expect around $100 for the gallon (won’t mix less than that) & the primer is about the same.
Max T.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,425 Times in 1,900 Posts

What I need to find now is a way to duplicate the labels on my generators. Not sure if the originals were silk screened or decals. Anyone have any suggestions for this?
Max T.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,021 Times in 807 Posts

Check with the more high tech local sign shops and if you have them graphic design shops, there have been machines on the market for about 15 years that can do fairly high quality one off labels and cut them to shape. You probably want one that uses a transfer film like the Gerber edge, not one of the myriad of inkjet machines (which are good for photos). There are probably also services online that will take your original artwork files and print them out.

Ike

p.s. expect it to cost a good bit, it has been a few years since I was in the sign business, but back then the machines were in the $10,000 range, and film rolls to go in them were not cheap either (well over $3 per foot per color, metallic foil was even more, the special printable vinyl backing was also about 3 times the cost of regular vinyl)
The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac-1:
Old 03-25-2010, 01:54 AM
Registered-II

If youre looking for a "close enough for government work" onan paint i found a color at napa that duplicolor puts out called torque n teal its number is DE1643. its 500 degree engine enamel and sells for about 5.20 a rattle can. i recently painted my RJC with that and am more or less pleased at the costs/color ratio. im not sure how much of a stickler you are for color and perhaps you are interested in the full blown restore and want the real color, personally i wanted to get something on it to keep it from rusting anymore and that paint fit the bill close enough for me, call me cheap though.

you all might criticize my lifting method though, at the time it seemed like a pretty good way to pick it up. i taped everything important off. cant really tell in the picture. when it was back on the sled everything rotated as it did before so i don't believe i damaged anything. hopefully itll all work out. used my improvised hoisting contraption too. its a real bang up operation here.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
0319001800.jpg   IMG_7015_edited.jpg  
Old 05-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Registered-III

Like others here, I just bought two cans of Onan green gen paint $9.99 ea from the guy on eBay, exact match for my '78 5kW, very pleased with the color.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:45 AM
Registered-II

lowes can match it with indutrial oil based paint cost $27 for gallon dang cheaper than $130 onan wants. Looks great too.