[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]
Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps, washers and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Need Information and Parts for Box Corn Sheller

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2239 times

Old 04-07-2010, 10:16 PM
Registered

Default Need Information and Parts for Box Corn Sheller

This corn sheller came off my family farm in Virginia. I know it is over 100 years old because my Grandfather, born in 1902, told me his Father used the sheller before he was born. It has some writing on the side that says "Bethtown PA" and "No. 3". There is a word that looks like "Rachs" or something like that.

I am looking to see if anyone knows anything about the sheller's manufacturer and if parts are available.

It is missing the turn crank handle and the kernel shoot is split and would like to replace.

Not interested selling, but was interested in the value.
Thanks to anyone with any information
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Corn Sheller.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2010, 10:48 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Need Information and Parts for Box Corn Sheller

The brand of manufacture is "Buch's" and the No. 3 size was pretty common. The wooden hand crank handles are nearly always gone or damaged and most people end up having to make their own on a small wood lathe but some claim to have had success using handles for files. There are no reproduction replacement parts available other than those you make yourself. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Registered-II

The town would be Elizabethtown, PA.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Registered-III

Hello,
Looking at your picture that one should clean up really nice with all of that original paint it has!

Thanks!
Richard
Old 04-10-2010, 05:52 AM
Registered-III

Shellers are addicting........so be careful. These guys have chimed in and given you excellent tips. Make your self a handle with a piece of broomstick or something and put that thing to work.

As far as value goes; they'll go at auction for 50 to 150 dollars for a single holer like that one and up to maybe 200-300 for a two holer depending on condition of course.

My three cents,

Bruce