Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Visit today from Pickers

Had a truck pull into the driveway today. They saw my 11 big oil field engines in the yard. The...

this thread has 45 replies and has been viewed 5146 times

Old 04-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Visit today from Pickers

Some of you guys don't seem to realize the Pickers is just made up for TV entertainment. These "pickins" are set up ahead of time, and prices are often worked out in advance. The prices they say they get for the stuff is often overinflated.
It all makes for entertaining TV, just like Antiques Roadshow.
Personally, I think it's good for the collecting hobby, as it exposes new people to collecting. And we sure need new people coming into the hobby.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mel Miller:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,408 Times in 1,163 Posts

Lots of utube videos on popcorn sutton. If you want to see the real popcorn, watch the johnny knoxville interview on utube and watch the large funeral procession, also on utube. Don't have much use for the revenuers. Went catfishing tonight on the river.

Rod
Old 04-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Sky

Not to change the topic but why couldnt they just left him the hell alone and go pick on them city slick crack heads. I guarntee what they do was more illigal then what popcorn did. He was just carrying on a beleif & tradition. What city slick crack heads do, i call abuse. Damn G-men.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Registered-III

I don't think that what they are doing is so bad. They are basicly just doing what every other american retail company does. Buy at wholesale prices and sell at retail. What is the problem? I guess I do not understand. I don't think they would have a show or a buisiness if they broke even on everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo:
Old 04-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Registered-II

I lump "Pickers" in the same junk-food category as "Antiques Roadshow". I cringe every time I imagine predatory buyers waiting for wide-eyed people to leave the "set" with their freshly appraised treasures.

The whole punchline of "what is it worth" cheapens the hobby. I play with antique engines because I share the values of the engineers and skilled tradesmen who crafted these machines that were designed to last a lifetime. If it was just about the money and "what is it worth", I would never have gotten into it in the first place.

-- Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to mikehelms:
Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 PM
Sponsor

Rod
Should have given those polite, hand shaking pickers directions to my place...I could have shown them some real Hillbilly hospitality ...
Old 04-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,150 Times in 304 Posts

Let me get this straight,If you were driving down the road and noticed an old tractor or gas engine out in the trees or behind a barn or garage, none of you would stop and make an offer?
I just don't see what's so wrong with what these guys are doing. Heck it isn't like they're just buying them up and scrapping them or hoarding them away like some of our fellow collectors. They're reselling them,so what if it's for a profit. At least they aren't still sitting out there rusting away. I would think that if some one asked me if I wanted to sell my engines it wouldn't make me mad even if they tried to lowball me on the price ( which has happened more than once) Everyone of you would like to be able to pick up an engine at a cheap price. You make a low bid and if they want more they'll either tell you or tell you to get lost. I just think a lot of you are Jealous!! Just my 2 cents
Old 04-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Subscriber

Cool Re: Visit today from Pickers

Just have your 12 gauge at hand when you talk to them. You can't point it at them, just sort of fondle it. It might be even better if you talk to it. That should really freak out the "casers". It shouldn't be too hard to sort out the real people from the scum. Al Wait
Old 04-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Engine Buyer

Thanked 2,665 Times in 407 Posts

Everybody is complaining about pickers trying to get stuff cheap, chances are the most of the people they are buying from have nothing in that stuff and they are or were some at some pickers themselves. I seen the show a few times and I cannot recall any deals that I was jealous of. Based on the even the potential gross profit in deals I have seen they would have trouble paying their bills let alone making a profit.
So why is no one picking on the Pawn Stars guys (the show right after pickers), looks like those are the guys raking in the cash. They are served treasures on a silver platter and they also can charge outrageous interest rates if the person pawns something.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jon Rozevink:
Old 04-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Registered-II

"""So why is no one picking on the Pawn Stars guys (the show right after pickers), looks like those are the guys raking in the cash. They are served treasures on a silver platter and they also can charge outrageous interest rates if the person pawns something. """""""""

I'm watching Pawn Stars right now. Here is the difference.
The pickers dig through your property uninvited trying to buy stuff you don't have advertised for sale and most likely don't know its true value..

At the pawn shop people bring in something they WANT to sell and negotiate a deal or walk away from it.

If someone stopped by uninvited and wanted to dig through my buildings they best be able to run fast.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,691 Times in 1,214 Posts

If you don't wantem diggin in yer stuff, just tellem no. I ain't seenem force anybody yet.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HBurk:
Old 04-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Engine Buyer

Thanked 2,665 Times in 407 Posts

Quote:
pickers dig through your property uninvited trying to buy stuff
Everyone watch out, the pickers are out to get you and there it nothing you can do about it LOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Rozevink:
Old 04-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Sky

The whole point that everyone's upset with is them buying stuff for low ball, selling it double price and BRAGGING about it. THAT is what gives collectors a bad name. I dont consider myself a collector as i USE old machinery and work them becouse i find most modern equipment inferior but TO the collector, this will give a bad name, such as "the pickers". Nope, nothing wrong at all with stoping to visit an old timer who might sell that tractor for 500 or so, nore do you hear of a true collector buying it, selling it for 5 grand and BRAGGING about it. And then maybee there is, but that individual would have to be pretty bent. Not only that, would be a disgrace to a perfectly good respectable hobby. Then again, maybee my thoughts are just meaningless. But my thoughts are right up there with the old timers views so i dont think im too teribly off. And i've talked to ALOT of them.

Last edited by Sky; 04-23-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:28 AM
Registered-III

i dont think theye stop all the time uninvited and just go through your junck , because i know that theye are going to be in pana illinois on may 1 at my sons father in laws house
who are avid colectors of old motorcycles ,cars, and cushman scooters . so some of these people know theye are comeing a week or to in advance. also steve and bob know what there stuf is worth also , if the pickers leave with any thing it will cost them . ron brown in central illinois
The Following User Says Thank You to Brickman:
Old 04-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Registered-III

I knew Popcorn Sutton well. He was not going to prison for making moons

hine. He was being sent to prison as a convicted felon for posessing a gun. He spent 3 years in prison for attempted murder. He and another fellow cut a mans throat, kicked him out of their truck and left him on the side of the road to die. He survived! Here in our county where he lived he was considered an outlaw by everyone who knew him. His image only as an inocent moonshirer is a huge mith!
BILL BIRD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bird:
Old 04-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Subscriber

Most collectors who want to work their way up to the better grade of stuff has done some buying and selling. There are three golden rules to always keep in mind, and they are:
1. You make your money when you BUY. If you don't buy right, you are not going to make a profit.
2. It don't eat nothing. Unlike livestock, old iron can sit and wait for a willing buyer to come along.
3. You can't jew up. Price it right and be ready to settle for what you asked, don't cry that you didn't get enough out of it, because you set the price. When I price something, I ask myself "What would I like to pay for it?" and try to leave a little profit in it for the next guy.

I liked watching American Pickers. I sort of questioned their judgement in paying what they did for some of the stuff I have seen them buy, but they know their market. They don't trespass, and they don't hold a gun to anyones head to get them to sell.

Years ago I had a mentor named Don Bobert. Every saturday morning we would pile in the truck and go knocking on doors and looking for iron. If you just walked up to a door and asked someone if they had any old gas engines, they would get suspicious and clam up. So, as we pulled in the yard, old Don would turn to me and say " I think this place might have an old gas engine". I could then walk up to the door and look them in the eye and say "I heard you might have an old engine." And it worked.
The fact is that most of the stuff that we collectors hold dear has at one time been "picked". If it hadn't, it would still be in a dirt floor shed with the roof leaking on it, until you found it. Then you'd be a picker, wouldn't ya?
Joe
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Joe Prindle:
Old 04-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Subscriber

My great, great, grandfather was devil anse hatfield of the hatfield and mccoys. He killed 3 men and everyone considered him an outlaw. Sometimes justice doesn't come from a corrupt government. What did the fella do to popcorn. I'm sure he didn't do it for laughs.

Rod
The Following User Says Thank You to Rod Fielder:
Old 04-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,032 Times in 254 Posts

Hi Rod--Its a small world--My great grandfather James McCoy moved his family north to Dayton Wash. in the 1890's from Kentucky to get away from the fighting. I kind of like the American Pickers TV show--maybe they should go down to Kentucky and visit the Hatfields and McCoys to see if there is any good pickins! lol
The Following User Says Thank You to John Merry:
Old 04-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Subscriber

Hey john

ever get back to the hills to the old homestead

rod
Old 04-23-2010, 05:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,010 Times in 336 Posts

The last place I "" Picked "" I was met with a shot gun carried by a guy in a scruffy cap wearing white gloves and PJ's
But it all worked out and I was able to deal for an engine.