Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs Model L1

Went to an auction on Saturday and pick up a Model L1 Briggs and Stratton where they made before...

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 819 times

Old 04-22-2010, 06:51 PM
Subscriber

Default Briggs Model L1

Went to an auction on Saturday and pick up a Model L1 Briggs and Stratton where they made before the Model Y they look alot alike and they are both rated at 1/2 hp I know the Y's were made from 1931-1939. My next question is I have not seen many L1 around and was wondering if they are a little scarce. I also picked up a Model Y with a gould water pump it will make a nice little display
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Briggs Model L1

Before we go further the model Y was made into 1940 with 44 being made that year. It is the lowest production year except for 1939 in which 47 units were built.
The L,L1,LA were built 1930 to 1932 so I suppose it is a bit scarce. At least scarcer then the Y which one sees for sale at all the shows. Total built of the Ys were 338332.
The L was built as a washing machine engine but then the Y took its place and the LA was discontinued.
The LA was the same as the L except for a modified cam gear. Cut on a helicle. I don't know much about the L1 as I never owned one.
This info comes from a book that I have.
Hope this helps BILL
The Following User Says Thank You to hitnmiss:
Old 04-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Briggs Model L1

Steve

You can get the mfg date from the Antique small engine collectors club from the serial number. Go to http://www.asecc.com/data/briggs/data2.html

My L1 is a 1930 and my y is a 1935.

Pierce
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierce Roselle: