Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

OLD Yazoo Mower

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 13596 times

Old 04-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Registered

Default OLD Yazoo Mower

I have an old Yazoo lawnmower, that was my Dad's. Before we bought it, I remember it being used by a priest to cut the grass at a school and church. We got the mower in around 1962. I was born in 1955, but remember it being used by the Reverend. I want to find pics of a mower of this vintage so I can make the unimprovements of later years. I do remember that I could see the blade turning while I was using the mower, and I do recall being able to use it while men..MEN could not. If anyone has pics of a mower likely built or sold in the late 50's or early 60's, please let me know. I want to rebuild the one I have. I have an old Clinton running now, that would be similar to original. Original did not have a recoil, the one I have does. This mower was the best balanced mower that I have ever used, and I intend to completely rebuild it for use, but need to see a pic just in case I do not remember the deck exactly.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: OLD Yazoo

I have an old Yazoo 24" mower of that vintage that has been updated once and is about to receive another. When I got it from the original owner, it had a Lausen engine on it. Engine was green with rope start pulley in alum; dont recall the hp but it was a smaller engine I replaced the engine with a 6hp and have rebuilt the front spindle. Another engine is due when I can find one that will fit it.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Registered

A 24"? With a Lauson? As far as I know, all the old ones used Clintons, and about mid 60s, started using a few Briggs on the vertical shaft engines. The unimprovement I have to do first, is to remove the 6 HP Briggs that my Dad put on it. The mower is completely out of balance with that engine. Is your a vertical shaft or horizontal shaft. The 24's had both for a few years. I remember working on them in my Dad's shop when I was 11 to about 17 years old. Are your rear tires pneumatic or semipneumatic(some call them solid)?
Old 09-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Registered-I

Here is a picture of my Yazoo S-24. It is a horizontal shaft engine with the flat deck. It is missing the hood and deflector. It is all original and runs and mows great.

This is my S-20. It is a vertical shaft engine with a tunnel deck and is complete and runs.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 AM
Registered-II

I have two Yazoo mowers. One is a 24" from about '85 and the other is a 30" from '91. Dad bought our first one in the early '60's, wasn't self propelled but with the big wheels it was fairly easy to push on level ground. Wish they still built them.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Registered-II

The 24" Yazoo I have (that had the Lausen) is horizontal shaft with double belts as in the one pictured above. All the framing is of round tubing, not flat bar as in picture. I think it is a very early 50" vintage; when I had to replace the shaft in the spindle, the parts man mad reference to an early "D shaft". I do have a couple of the 24 that are later models that are self propelled.

mickeynew, does that 20" have a double blade--one mounted at right angle to the other? I have a 20" that has that configuration.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Registered

Default Re: OLD Yazoo Mower

The one I am trying to rework also has a tube frame. Memories tell me that there were no shields from the top of the deck down, either in front or on the sides. The top of the deck was open so that you could see the blade between the front wheels, but the tubing extended from the rear wheel all the way around to the other rear wheel. The mower had a straight blade, discharged in basically any direction that wasn't clogged, but usually to the right.
I have not had a chance to work on it as yet, and it still needs to have the 'improvements' removed. As soon as that can happen, I will post pics of the frame. I will likely have a friend of mine roll a new tube frame for the front, and weld in new mandrel supports, or, I may be able to make necessary repairs with a wire welder.
The mower was a walk-behind bush hog, with a 5 HP Clinton. One could cut grass several feet tall with it, and, if you knew what you were doing and walked slowly enough, could run it out of gas without having to restart because it choked itself to death.