Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

parts/carb cleaner/solvent

this thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 2894 times

Old 11-30-2002, 02:16 PM
Marty

Default parts/carb cleaner/solvent

Hey all, I'm on a roll this week since the snow is flying and the wood cooker's a cookin. It's time to get my hands greasy after gathering up all the winter projects over the warmer months. I don't have a parts washer since I don't work with volume parts and couldn't justify buying one. I've always used GAZ-O-LEEN for cleaning and the times I did use KER-O-SEEN, would remove the oil film by spraying it down with starting fluid or rinsing it with paint thinner. (outdoors of course) In all the years I've been playing with these engines, I have never used a cleaning solvent that was sold for the purpose of cleaning parts. Recently it was suggested to me to try a product sold by Auto Zone that comes in gallon cans called "Chem-Dip". I bought a gallon and it certainly didn't do what I expected it to do. I refered to the archives on this topic but found nothing satisfactory to help me find something better. The most responses I found were concerning solvents to use in a parts washer and I'm strictly wanting small volumes such as what is sold in gallon sizes. Might there be something out there that is outstanding but within a working mans budget ?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2002, 02:41 PM
allen lapage

Default Re: parts/carb cleaner/solvent

Marty I have been using plain old paint thinner for years with very good results. You dont even need a reg parts washer, just get a 5 gal plastic bucket with a lid, throw in a couple gal. and your in busness. There are better and more expensive products out there , but personaly I would rather use the cheap stuff and change it more often.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:39 PM
Eugene

A buddy of mine swears by spray on oven cleaners available from grocery store. However if you are trying to save the original paint this may not be the way to go. Using rubber gloves and eye protection is advised. I have had good luck with one gallon cans of Gunk and a siphon sprayer attached to my air compressor. I stay away from the water based solvents. Despite their claim of being "safe" they are not much better than a garden hose with a pressure nozzle. Spray cans of carb or brake cleaner are great for small jobs but not cost effective for large jobs.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:47 PM
leonard keifer

You don't want to use oven cleaner on carbs or other parts made of pot (white) metal, it can dissolve them.

I just use kerosene in one of those little red "parts washer cans" that harbor Freight sells. I don't work with anything very large. I follow that with a wash using Simple Green, water rinse, and air drying in the sun.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:08 PM
Marty

Default Re: Am I perhaps lazy ?

Before this thread goes any farther, maybe I should have specified that what I am hoping for in affordability and effectivness is a solvent that will do 90% of the work... eating off the crud/gunk while I'm going about working on something else. I detest washing parts by hand due to the mess and time. Leonard, I most often only do small stuff too so I like to "soak" parts and walk away. The solvent removing paint would be good since one can start from "scratch" that way.
Old 11-30-2002, 05:52 PM
Chris Kirk

Marty -

I also bought the bucket solvent at Auto Zone, and have not been impressed with the results. I'm going to go out on a limb here despite everyone's comments on water-based degreasers. Home Depot sells a water-based degreaser concentrate especially made for industrial-type grease. It's made by Zep, and it costs about $8 a gallon. I've used it straight or slightly diluted, and it works very well. You do have to do a little bit of scrubbing with a brush, but even years-old grease comes off quickly. This is not weak stuff. It will burn your hands if you use it without gloves. You might want to give it a try.

Chris
Old 11-30-2002, 06:11 PM
RICHARD L. BROWN

i have had good results with a cleaner by castrol called super clean. full strength this stuff will melt grease off overnite need to use rubber gloves. it will tell you about a scratch on the finger i buy it at wally world . wal mart about 7.00 a gallon. works for me.

DICK BROWN
Old 11-30-2002, 08:01 PM
David Greenwalt

Most carb dip is designed to take off the varnish that builds up on small carb parts and not to remove years and layers of grease and grime. I have no problem using the chem-dip with small carb parts, just drop them in the basket and let them sit overnight, rinse good with water and blow dry. Bigger external parts that have accumalated grime I clean with a brush and diesel or kerosene. Some parts, if I know I'm not going to get to it for a while, I will just drop in a bucket of diesel or kerosene and leave it there for a while. Softens everything up. David.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:49 PM
Jim Tremble

Chris

You are correct on this one. ALL Zep products do exactly as they say it will.

I tried an Aluminum Clearer (from Zep) for my Service Truck (on the box) and it amazed me. What a shine.

Don't disregard the Zep Products for degreasing, cleaning and such.

Jim
Old 11-30-2002, 10:28 PM
john w

i used the oven cleaner on an engine that had about an inch of grease and crud built up on it and was amazed. just spray it on and let it work for about 15 min. then work it around with a brush and hose it off. works better that any degreaser that i had tried. probably hard on paint, definately hard on skin.
Old 11-30-2002, 11:10 PM
Marty

I keep hearing about oven cleaner, oven cleaner, oven cleaner. I went out and bought me a can of the HEAVY DUTY grade "Easy-Off". ( 30 cents more than the regular ) I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow. I keep tripping over all this old iron sitting around in the shop so I can probably find a greasy, dirty "guinea pig" to try it out on. I hope I don't start hearing about mop-n-glo, mop-n-glo, mop-n-glo !
Old 11-30-2002, 11:53 PM
Franz

mop-n-glo, mop-n-glo, mop-n-glo ! That's only the beginning of what you'll hear if you track Easy Off in the house. NEW FLOOR will be the next thing you hear!
Old 12-01-2002, 09:00 AM
john w

i think they have a lemon scented easy off, might try it, it would clean up your old iron and make your shop smell "lemony fresh" at the same time. just an idea. john w.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:00 AM
Marty

I hear lemon scent drives off mosquitoes. Anybody have mosquitoes in their shop during the winter months ? I only get mice.
Old 12-01-2002, 10:37 AM
leonard keifer

Maybe you use Mop-n-glo for that final shine without the elbow grease!!
Old 12-01-2002, 02:09 PM
BobRR

I have had good luck with chem-dip cleaning carbs. doesnt work that good on heavy grease but if there is any paint left on that carb there wont be. One other thing, I had one can that ate a hole in the bottom So now I keep the can inside a plastic bucket! I have used Zep products and everyone I Have tried works GOOD. BobRR
Old 12-01-2002, 03:46 PM
Kid Dynamo

Default Self- holing container !!?!

I had a bottle of Castrol Superclean develop a crack while hanging untouched. The contents leaked onto empty floorspace. Could be trouble... I have 2 more gallons of the stuff. I like it for some uses, kind of like a heavy-duty 409 spray, but I wonder about the other containers....
Old 12-01-2002, 06:21 PM
Marty

Default Re: Self- holing container !!?!... mousetrap?

Maybe I'll try that to keep the mice out of my shop
Old 12-01-2002, 11:40 PM
monte

Default Re: Am I perhaps lazy ?

I have had verry good luck with oven cleaner on iron and steel. The trick is to put the sprayed part in a plastic bag or wrap it up with plastic. Let it set over night and then wash it with warm water and a little soap or TSP. It's the fumes that break down the crud. Works for me.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:17 PM
Dick Fisher

Buy the original EAZY OFF oven cleaner when you can find it. The good smelling stuff just does'nt work as good. As usual the new improved type of most any good product is not as good as the original product. Lots of the time the formula is changed to playcate the dreaded EPA! Please government leave the good products ALONE!!!!