Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

Cub Cadet riding mower - the blades won't run!

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 9914 times

Old 05-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Cub Cadet riding mower - the blades won't run!

I have a 2004, 1527 model cub cadet riding mower, it has run only 106 hours, the engine runs great but the blades won't run, when I engage the PTO switch to turn on the blades the engine cuts off, I'm not sure what is causing it ???
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Registered-II

Liked 264 Times in 161 Posts
Default Re: cub cadet riding mower the blades won't run!!

Maybe the seat safety switch is not working right? I think there might be another switch that shuts off the mower when you put it in reverse. Check that one too if there is one.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Registered-II

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

I'm not real familiar with Cubs, but I'm sure there are some safety switches on there. First, are you sitting on the seat when you turn on the blades. Then, is the tractor out of gear. Especially reverse. On some JD's, The brake must be pushed in or locked. Good luck, I know there may be other things that could cause that problem.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 05-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The safty switch is under the seat, you either have to be sitting on the mower or have it in park with breaks on in order to start, it starts fine. I'm not 100% sure but I think may be the PTO clutch is bad.. thanks for your help guys.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Sky

Default Re: Cub Cadet riding mower - the blades won't run!

Best thing to do with them saftey switches is pull'em out and throw'em away. aside from safty switches making it a "safer" machine, it's just another way for dealers to grab whats in your pocket book. I doubt your PTO is bad although it *MIGHT* be. I'd look for a switch being bad.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Subscriber

Liked 2,637 Times in 1,358 Posts

You say
"....when I engage the PTO switch to turn on the blades the engine cuts off...."
Does the engine coast to a stop or does it come to an instant stop - Like it hit a brick wall?
Coasting to a stop would likely be a safety switch killing the ignition. Stopping instantly would lead me to think that the mower spindles may be locked up. Can you turn the blades by hand? With the engine OFF, of course! If they are stuck, you might get them free if they have a grease fitting on them. Pump them full of grease and work the blades back & forth by hand until they will twirl freely. If that doesn't work, it is time for new spindles.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 05-06-2010, 07:35 AM
Registered-III

Liked 801 Times in 505 Posts

Don't count on because a safety works for one fuction it works for all-some switches have more then one set of contacts, so they can partially fail. I don't mind safetys too much on a rider-they came in handy when I hit that ground bee nest. I quikly decided that top speed on the rider was NOT gonna cut it, my mower would of been in the next county by the time I was done with the bees! Tho the safeys on the new ones that won't let you mow in reverse are annoying...

Robert