Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

"A" Frame Engine Hoist pics or plans?

Hi. i was looking for plans or pictures of an A frame type engine hoist chain fall combo that could...

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 22474 times

Old 05-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,291 Times in 512 Posts
Default "A" Frame Engine Hoist pics or plans?

Hi. i was looking for plans or pictures of an A frame type engine hoist chain fall combo that could lift a ton or so, allow my pickup to back under it and be able to be dissassembled and transported in my pickup along with the engine. Any ideas or companies that make them ??
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: "A" Frame engine hoist pics or plans ?

Years back we had no engine hoist.Me and my brother went to the wood's,cut 3 tree's,lashed them together like a teepe,hooked on the rope block and line,pulled the engine on our 1962 chevy impala.Worked good for what we had to do that day.Take apart,cut up....firewood!!
The Following User Says Thank You to grub54891:
Old 05-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Subscriber

You are looking for a gantry crane.. Northern or Harbor Freight should list them in their catalog...Good Luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to WildIrishman52:
Old 05-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Subscriber

I built the very kind of thing that you ask about but I have no photos yet. I have lifted in excess of a ton with it. It all unbolts and I can stack the pieces all in my truck. There is a minimum of welding on it and that is done in a manner to not compromise the component pieces.

Most of the thing is built from various types of box channel and it is not an "A" frame but similar. I can erect it around my truck or I can erect it and then drive my truck under it but it is a chore to erect it and it takes some time.

I built it when friend was scrapping a rather rare marine engine and vee-drive reduction reverse gear and I had to pick it up, stick it in my truck and then unload the thing by myself with no crane. I have kept the rig for about 15 years now.

If I find time in a timely manner, I will assemble it and take a few photos along the way. Upon evaluation, others may have some better ideas, but mine is a proven commodity. I erected this on the sloping bow deck on a large super seiner tuna boat and used it to disassemble, move pieces around, then then reassemble a rather large anchor winch (size of a pickup truck only mostly solid steel). I've taken it to various places and picked up all manner of engines.

To keep it simple and interchangeable, I used all 1/2" bolts for fasteners. It was all cut with a Sawzall and drilled with a hand held electric drill and hand filed. All similar pieces were carefully measured so they interchange with each other and a minimum of thinking is needed to erect it.

After the rig had proved itself, I went back and drilled all the holes out to 17/32" so the bolts wouldn't be so dang hard to slip into place. I'm real glad I made it and I had to design and build it in a hurry. I can adapt it. Like I said, well over a ton- maybe 2500 pounds without any sign of an overload.

I haven't seen the Harbor Freight stuff but it is hard to imagine something as heavy capable of mine being available for less than a tidy sum.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidDynamo:
Old 05-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: "A" Frame Engine Hoist pics or plans?

Had and used often a simple homebrew rig made mostly of pipe. A three piece design. Both end or verticals were inverted "T" of 2 3/8" tubing with a bracing in angles; at the top was 8" to 10" long section of larger pipe---id large enough to let one section of top cross bridge slip into it. Top cross piece was bridged of two lengths of tubing==prob 4" between 2 pieces; also had an arched strap brace across the top.

It worked very well, was portable, could be set up by one person, and didnt cost much to build. Decided a tilt bed trailer and good come-a-long were easier---and I decided to down size on the toys.

Paul
The Following User Says Thank You to ar2stp48:
Old 05-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Registered-III

Here is a drawing of a gantry I borrowed from an old timer years ago. Liked it so much I made this drawing of it should I ever wanted to build one. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Hoist 001.jpg  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lornes:
Old 05-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Registered-II

Here's another alternative to consider. You won't have to assemble & disassemble it all the time.

http://www.beacontechnology.com/gant...truckjibcrane/

I've also used a "cherry picker" type engine hoist. The legs will fit under the rear axle if you back up to it after you've picked up whatever you're loading. Only problem I've had is sometimes not enough lift...in this case, I've lifted stuff part way, set it on blocks, and reset the attachment point to lift it high enough to load.

Cherry pickers are readily available and can be easily disassembled.

Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to KEB:
Old 05-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,334 Times in 2,647 Posts

I've used a standard 'cherry picker' engine hoist several times moving engines and my little Delta Shaper, and after loading the engine(s) or shaper, simply loaded the hoist and then reattached the hook and put a little tension on the hoist to help hold engines upright and secure the hoist at the same time. This was with car & truck V8's where the legs of the hoist could stradle the load in the truck, but if need be, it's just a matter of undoing about 8 bolts and sliding the pieces in where ever they fit.

I have one of the swivel mount cherry picker hoists that we used to use for mounting heavy tooling fixtures at work, but have been leary of mounting it in the truck. Where ever you mount one of those it has to be good and solid which means sandwiching plates between the truck bed floor and the frame if you want to pick up anything even remotely heavy. If you just bolt it to the sheetmetal floor, don't expect it to hold anything without either bending up the bed or ripping out the bolts. I might mount that to one of the front corners of my trailer one of these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer:
Old 03-01-2012, 06:40 AM
Registered

anyone have planes for making a cherry picker
Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Registered-III

This is similar to something I used to have. My top connection was just a small loop of chain bolted to the pipe ends, then we just hooked a chain hoist to that. We had some old pipe that was a railing at one time. No sections but we didn't need to move it, seems that would be easy to work out.

The cost of materials is the deal breaker. If you need to buy all new material the portable hydraulic one at TSC doesn't seem so expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
fall-arrest-safety-tripod-704449.jpg  
Old 03-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Subscriber

Here's the one I made last fall. My new shop across town doesn't have electricity yet , so I needed to make a bolt together hoist. I didn't have room at my small garage to weld this all together. I guess it came out ok, all 4 wheels were hitting the floor when I put it together.
Attached Thumbnails
dcp_1828.jpg   dcp_1830.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott: