Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

Yazoo 26" self-propelled walk behind - need current value

I have a Yazoo 26" self-propelled walk behind that I inherited from my dad. It is model number...

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 5867 times

Old 06-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Registered

Default Yazoo 26" self-propelled walk behind - need current value

I have a Yazoo 26" self-propelled walk behind that I inherited from my dad. It is model number SV26B-3, serial number 6A976586. It has an 8.5 hp Briggs & Stratton I/C engine. It is in excellent condition and has some brand new spare blades. Since I have a Snapper riding mower I don't need the Yazoo. I plan on putting it on Craigslist. Any idea on what it is worth?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Registered

Default Re: Yazoo 26" self-propelled walk behind - need current value

I'd like to see a photo of it. I am interested in buying such a mower. Thanks
Old 09-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Registered-I

I know where a similar 26" is in a boneyard here in Alabama. The guy says it runs. It is missing the hood, which is what I was looking for. He said he would take $50 for it.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Registered-II

I have owned literally dozens of Yazoo mowers over the years. They are great mowers but due to parts availability dont have great value. I have seen them priced on CL at crazy prices but in all fairness i would say if the mower is in very good shape and no missing hood etc and looks very good 100.00 to 125.00 is a fair price. I only paid 40.00 for my Yazoo RER and looks and runs perfect.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Registered-I

I recently turned a part for my neighbor's Yazoo clutch after discovering that it is apparently impossible to buy new parts for these. Now it seems that he wants me to weld the small sprocket directly to the shaft. Were these originally swaged to the shaft? It freewheels regardless of whether the clutch is engaged or not.

From what I've heard, these are pretty good mowers, but hard to get parts for.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Subscriber

[QUOTE=CountrySquire1953;561022] Now it seems that he wants me to weld the small sprocket directly to the shaft.

Can the shaft be removed ??? I would cut a key way in the shaft and broach a key way into the sprocket. Drill and tap the sprocket for a set screw. No way would I weld the sprocket to the shaft.

Jim
Old 09-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Registered-I

Yes, it can be removed. It's hard to explain how this thing is made without having it in my hands. The shaft is hollow and has another hollow shaft running through it that has a flange to hold the sprocket in place. Both the sprocket and the shaft it rides on have what appears to be some kind of copper residue on them that makes it appear that it was sweated on with some kind of copper based solder. I can't see how that would have been strong enough to withstand the torque generated by the engine. The sprocket was obviously not keyed to the shaft nor welded and there's no evidence that it was shrunk on, unless the copper residue was some kind of lube used in the process. I don't believe there's enough thickness in the shaft to cut a keyway, though that would be the best way to stick it on. Besides, the lathe/mill I have is one of the cheaper types and even though I might be able to cut it (I would have to devise a better work holding system than what I have), I'm not set up to broach the sprocket. It took a lot of thinking for me to figure out a way to hog out the notches in the plate I turned. (This is the plate that the clutch engagement linkage hooks into). I'm limited as far as equipment and abilities go, so I'm open to any suggestions. This is the first Yazoo clutch I and my neighbor have ever seen. Thanks for your input and I eagerly await any more that you might have! I'd surely like to find another way other than welding it.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Registered-I

My neighbor gave me the sprocket and hollow shaft today to play with. There's not enough metal there to do anythig with but maybe sweat it on. I'm going to take measurements of the shaft before I do anything just in case I need to turn a new one. This one has a broken flange and a crack anyway. Looks like I'm in for an interesting little job.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Registered-I

Got it fixed! Was able to braze the sprocket on. Had some other issues with a broken flange that was torn loose by the chain. I saw that it had a piece missing and was cracked, but the owner said not to worry about it. He put it on the mower and it worked fine except the flange (it holds the spring in the clutch) got hung up and was stripped off allowing the spring to loosen and the mower wouldn't roll backwards (freewheel). I machined a washer and brazed it on and turned the excess off. Looks like we might have her if she don't jump!

Apparently the sprocket was originally shrunk on. But short of turning a new shaft the only way to fix it was by brazing (or welding).
Old 09-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Registered-III

It sounds like it was copper brazed.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Registered-I

It may have been. Anyhow, it's brazed solid now with good old brass. I had to make a new flange to replace the one that holds the spring in its notch too. My neighbor just dropped by and picked it up. Hope it holds up.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Registered-I

You can still buy parts for these if you look around. Yazoo Kees has been bought by Husqvarna. I found a dealer that was able to look up some parts.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Registered

Do you still have this mower for sale? If so, what are you asking for it. I would arrange to pickup.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynew View Post
You can still buy parts for these if you look around. Yazoo Kees has been bought by Husqvarna. I found a dealer that was able to look up some parts.
I'll check that out. My neighbor still has the mower. I welded an adjustment rod for the wheels last week and he told me earlier that he managed to break the driveshaft that went through the clutch somehow. Need to look at it.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Registered-I

I saw the mower in his yard with a For Sale sign on it the other day then it disappeared. Reckon he got everything else fixed on it and sold it. Looks like my clutch job lasted after all.