Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Witte Diesel

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 6873 times

Old 12-27-2002, 09:45 AM
Tony Leonard

Default Witte Diesel

I would like to solicit the opinions of any who would like to comment on the worth of a certain Witte Diesel engine.

Here are the particulars:

1935 Witte 6 Hp Diesel, Hopper cooled, S/N D87.

According to Wendel's Notebook, the first Diesel produced by Witte was S/N D76. If this is correct, this would have been the 11th Diesel Engine Witte produced to sell. The engine is in excellent physical condition with no breaks, welds or repairs and it runs great.

Thanks for your opinions and have a Happy New Year!!!

Tony Leonard's PoP Engines
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2002, 09:51 PM
Ken Majeski

Default Re: Witte Diesel

Hi Tony: Well I would geuss a Witte this early would be a rare find, most I have seen have been tank cooled. I recently purchased a 5 hp Witte Diesel and generator No D 687 I think. This one was tank cooled I believe (has no cooling system now). I paid 1000 $ and it didn't take much to get it running. It runs well although the fuel system is still a mystery to me. Do you know of any source of info on these early Witte Diesels ? Thanks....
Old 12-29-2002, 02:46 PM
harvey teal

Ken, i DID promise you that i would send you the Witte engine info after it was scanned. Finally got everything scanned and now I'm reducing the image file sizes to e-mailable size. Sorry for the delays. Tony, I havent been able to locate the diesel picture on your site....am I looking in the wrong place??? Harvey
Old 12-29-2002, 11:42 PM
Tony Leonard

Ok fellers, I have some more info now to add. I went over to check out this Engine yesterday and I now realize that it is a 5 Hp Hopper Cooled Horizonal Witte Diesel and not a 6 Hp as I earlier thought. It looks to have an older restoration on it as the paint is still good but is showing some age and wear. It has a 4 v-belt clutch pulley on it that works and it is easy to start even in 30 degree weather. Again, it has no breaks, welds or repairs on it and it shows very little wear. I do not have a picture of this engine to post as of yet. I do realize that this engine has a very early serial number (D87) but I have been told by other collectors that the rare/early serial number Diesel engines do not bring the high $$$'s that the rare/early serial number gasoline engines bring. Also, Witte produced a lot of Diesel engines over a 20 year period so I really wouldn't consider a Witte Diesel engine anything real rare. However, I am very interested in this engine but I need some input on what the fair market value is on an engine like this. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 12-29-2002, 11:49 PM
Ken Majeski

No Rush Harvey, It's on the back burner until I figure what type cooling system to use. I wonder what type of flywheels the one Tony's looking at has. I don't think there are too many of those out there... Thanks...
Old 12-30-2002, 12:01 AM
Ken Majeski

Hi Tony: Mine is 5 hp also, I think mine is tank cooled because of the generator and long service hours. Does this one have the heavy solid 3 hole flywheels or are they only on the generator models ?
Old 12-30-2002, 09:28 AM
Tony Leonard

The flywheels are solid with the 3 small holes just like the generator sets have. The man that has this 5 Hp Witte also has a 6 Hp and a 12 Hp Witte generator set so I got to compare them all. I noticed on the 6 & 12 Hp that the injector is mounted at a 45 degree angle but on the 5 Hp it is mounted straight to the side. Also the 6 & 12 Hp models have what looks to be a valve cover whereas the 5 Hp does not and the rocker arms are exposed. The 6 & 12 Hp models had a crankcase breather cast into the crankcase cover but the 5 Hp does not have this. These are just a few differeces that I noticed otherwise they all looked about the same. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2003, 10:21 AM
Gus Simms

Not sure about the value, but my pal Donnie has a 5HP horiz. genset with a fan cooled radiator on top and I've seen others cooled this way, I think this was probably a standard. I have a Stover diesel that came with an advertising brochure which shows tank cooling as standard, and radiator cooling as an option. I can't resist saying that Donnie's was starting easy and running, but smoking . When we tore the piston out we found it only had two of the four compression rings, and no oil ring at all.
Old 01-01-2003, 12:02 PM
Ken Majeski

Hi Gus; Well mine is a 5 hp horisontal (1937) with the generator and all it had when I got it was the empty pipes sticking out. It doesn't have the provision for the condensing radiator like the later BD plants only the tapped holes for the pipes. Is there any chance you could send me a pic of his. Mine starts easy but needs a little help when it's gets cold. It holds compression well with hardly any leakage. Maybe there were options as far as radiator, tank or Hopper ???? I could put a quick picture of it on a quick website if you guys would like to see it... Thanks
Old 01-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Tony Leonard

Here is a picture of the 5 hp Witte Diesel.

I would still like some opinions on it's worth.

Thanks.

Old 01-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Johnboy

Diesels of any type are hard to find. Like many have said it is worth what you are willing to spend. I would like to purchase it for $1,000 if I had the chance and could hide it from my wife for a while.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:51 PM
Ken Majeski

Hi Tony. Never seen one like that. My next bid is 1200 $ .... But I never seen one like I have either. No Wife.... No Problem. ... Looks like the injector is similar to mine. I put together a five minute webpage with a pic of mine... See the link below.... If this works ????

My 5 HP Witte
Old 01-07-2003, 06:24 PM
Tommy Stojanov

Possibly the reason for the prices on Witte Diesels- especially with generators- are that they are still a useful tool today- especially for someone who needs to remotely produce electrical power. I have, or will have in my possesion, a somewhat odd Palmer Bros. RND- 1 diesel, maybe 3 1/2ft. tall, big red solid flywheel, and out of the 1930's, was a test engine at the University of Rochester. A few different injector paterns, pumps, pistons, rods, etc. Neat engine and has all the paint. The operating manuals are scattered with other literature within my desk. Have to pick it up someday soon.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:51 PM
Simon Thomson, Scotland UK.

I have a 1930's 43 bhp 2cyl vertical Dorman diesel that stands at about six foot tall which I'm going to use to drive a 3 phase alternator. I wouldn't part with it for the world. there are some poor quality pics on my website. The flywheel is solid 2 foot in diameter and 6 inches thick.

My home page
Old 01-07-2003, 09:38 PM
harvey teal

Tony and Ken, looks like you boys have a couple of KD's. The hopper cooled engine is indeed interesting, most of the KD's I have seen are tank or ext radiator cooled and it looks like this hopper engine was also externally cooled. They do generate heat under load and Witte had some specifics on operating temps; they wanted to see between 160 and 180 degrees F for best engine performance, tank cooling was detailed in the early manuals and radiator cooling was added later. They are fun to start and watch for 3 or 4 minutes, then the noise starts getting on your nerves. Mine had been installed in its own masonry building, far from the resort that it powered. Real powerhouses, but disgustingly smelly and noisy. There are still many of them in service, powering farms and ranches. The Arrow Engine Company in Tulsa OK makes the modern counterparts of these engines. Parts are getting scarcer than hen's teeth, but can still be found if you want to pay for them. I have the MD, which is the 12/14HP brother to these engines. Definitely not the same breed as a gas hit'n'miss.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:41 PM
john webb

Looking for information for witte model 120. horizontally opposed 2 cylinder, 28hp. Actually I'd really like to find a water pump
Old 01-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Joe Steele

John I will send the pages from the shop manual as an attachment to an email if you will send me an e-mail also name and address of a company that I buy parts from. Joe