Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Lawn mower solid rubber tires

Hi all and Happy New Year. I have several lawn mower wheels, the kind with solid rubber tires. The...

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 3561 times

Old 01-01-2003, 11:05 PM
Al Steppich

Default Lawn mower solid rubber tires

Hi all and Happy New Year. I have several lawn mower wheels, the kind with solid rubber tires. The tires have some cracks in them. Anybody have any ideas as to how fix the cracks and make them serviceable again? Thanks for your suggestions. Al
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2003, 11:48 PM
Monte

Default Re: Lawn mower solid rubber tires

I don't know how to repair them but I have replaced them. I find new wheels the same ID and OD. Put them in the oven on a piece of cardboard. slowly heat it to 150-200 deg. They will become pliable and you can slip them off the new rims and onto your old ones.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:37 AM
Engine Nut 1

If they are completely cracked (like a letter "C"), my dad used to take a piece of bailing wire and run it through the center and twist the ends down inside and cut the tail. The crack is still there, but the tire stays on. New tire is by far the best idea, though. On a simular note, Inflatable tires with weather cracks can be fixed by filling the cracks with black RTV silicone (spell?) gasket sealer. I've done it on my B john deere rear tires, and it works great....as long as you jack up the tire and let the sealer set all nite to dry. Otherwise the weight of the tractor will squish out the sealer (I found this out the hard way After a little time the sealer color blends right into the tire and is not all that noticable.

David
Old 01-02-2003, 03:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,636 Times in 985 Posts

Al: Just find better used ones at the flea market , or use that bad 3 letter word, "BUY", new ones . Paul
Old 01-02-2003, 03:53 PM
leonard keifer

There may be a source of the solid tires but I haven't found one. You can usually find a wheel/tire assembly that fits an old rotary mower but it will have a plastic wheel. Old reel mowers are another matter altogether, it's hard enough to find one mower of some models, finding a second with good tires is often impossible.

At one time I was given an e-mail address for someplace that claimed to have the solid tires for reel mowers but my e-mail messages went unanswered (that was before I found this site so it wasn't one of harry's advertisers).
Old 01-03-2003, 09:49 PM
Al Steppich

Thanks to all for your thoughts. If anybody knows of a source for new tires, please post. Regards, Al
Old 01-04-2003, 03:47 AM
Monte

Ya, at any hardware, farm, surplus, home, etc. store that sells solid rubber wheels. Most new ones are hollow with thick walls but they still work. Measure the ID and width of the rubber part or the OD of the rim on your original. Then whenever you go to one of these stores. Look for a wheel that has just the rubber part you can use. It dosn't matter what the rim is made of. They very in ID size alot from brand to brand. Then replace your old tire part of the wheel with the new one the way I describe in my previous post. I have fixed two early fifties reel mowers this way, even altered the tred to look more period. Worked for me real well. Good Luck! Monte