Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Greetings from Meridian Idaho

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1261 times

Old 08-10-2010, 02:55:34 PM
Subscriber

Default Greetings from Meridian Idaho

Hello,
Greetings from Meridian Idaho. Glad to see such an active community of collectors and enthusiasts of old engines \ tractors.
Not sure what I will end up collecting but old engines have always been one of my favorite things. I Grew up in Iowa and spent quite a bit of time with my father and grandfather wandering through the back roads. I was always fascinated about with my grandfathers stories of life on the farm. My grandfather started farming in the late 20s and actively farmed up through the early 70s. During his life on the farm, he lived through an amazing transformation with respect to the tools he had available. When he first started farming, his primary source of power was Mule power. I have a couple of old photos of him standing next to his mules. They certainly were massive animals. I hadn’t realized how large a mule could be till I went back through his photos. It was always fascinating hearing about all the different types of farm equipment he had worked with or around. His house was full of bits and pieces of the farm. Not to mention all the old tractor calendars and books.

Because of my grandfather, I have always had a fascination with the old engines, tractors and equipment from his farming days. Perhaps it’s because that’s one of the ways I could related to him. I am a software engineer and am part of a world that was so foreign to him. He had a hard time understanding what I do and there is no way to relate what I call work to what he called work. So we talked about him and his memories of life on the farm. We also did visited shows together. As often as we could, we would head to the Albert City Threshermans show and he always had stories relating to many things we came across.
My personal favorite thing at that show is the Corlyss steam engine. I think I could sit back at watch it all day. Grandpa loved the tractors.

Since he died, life has been so busy. With working my way into a good job to getting married to raising my daughters to and all the little things we convince ourselves as important, there is just so little time left. Its hard to find time to just sit back and remember.

Things are starting to change now though. I have been ... bored. This boredom has left an opening through which the sickness could find me. Its a genetic thing and it has finally caught up to me. Its the collecting sickness. My father has it, he has been collecting railroad antiques for over 30 years and has a basement crammed with lanterns, brass locks, keys, china and countless other railroad items. My brother has it, he has been collecting old woodworking tools and post cards. My mother has it, she collects toothpick holders and fostoria. And now, I may have it.

I have been having this compulsion to buy things that make no sense...old things...and put them on display ... I considered going to auction. I have not been to a flea market so there was hope for a little while. Then, a couple of weeks back, I was going through my photos and I came across a bunch of photos from the Albert City Threshermans show. They came from a trip to the show that my brother and I went on shortly after my grandfather died. I had taken pictures of just about everything ... from multiple angles. And I thought, I want to collect motors, and make them do things like make ice cream or spin wheels for no purpose other than to spin them. I want a antique motor.

And so, I have been looking for something. I may have found a motor that would be fun. A 2 hp Cushman and I can afford it. I told my dad about it. He was excited and then he let it slip, "I was always a little disappointed that you had never started collecting something" Egad.

Anyway, I am finally to a point in life where I can start thinking about collecting something. I have been through a number of things but nothing triggers my fascination like older motors and tractors. So I thought I would try to get a smaller motor.

My first problem, I have not been able to find much in the way of affordable antique motors in Idaho. I moved out here for a job and love it. There is tons of stuff back home, the motor I am looking at is in MN. Luckily my brother lives in St. Paul and my dad still lives in north west Iowa (Spencer). That gives me a sizeable area in the Midwest that I can include in my searches. Dad still loves auctions so I bet he would bid on stuff for me.

I guess I need to make some local connections.
Well, here I am, spilling my guts to a bunch of strangers, looking for help and a little guidance.

...Nice to meet everyone
...If you made it to the end of this post, thanks for listening.

-Steve
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigGoomba For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2010, 05:06:06 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Greetings from Meridian Idaho

Welcome to the hobby, or sickness as some refer to this madness. Good luck in your search.....you'll find engines, you'll see.
FL
Old 08-10-2010, 07:00:45 PM

Thanked 1,746 Times in 1,158 Posts
Talking Re: Greetings from Meridian Idaho

I went to school (College) in Southeastern Idaho, so if your in that country, look in old Spud Barns and Tractor Storage areas. In Northern Idaho, look for old Mining Equipment, engines, ect in old abandon mines. North of Boise, it is old Logging Gear, and Ranch Power stuff. Lots of old things, and engines, in that country. You just have to get out and scrounge around. I just can't place Meridian, but there are lots of places to look...
Old 08-11-2010, 11:58:41 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Greetings from Meridian Idaho

BTPost, Meridian is right next to Boise. Its actually hard to separate the 2 because they have grown into each other.

I was thinking about mining and the likelyhood that there might be some items left over from that period. There are numerous ghost towns around Boise.

When you say scrounge around, do you mean traveling to different cities and looking for sales \ auctions? Antique stores? Driving through areas and looking for stuff in a field? All of the above?