Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Decal placement

Now that I have my 92 running, and it already got nice paint, where do the decals go? Its a long...

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1371 times

Old 08-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Registered-I

Default Decal placement

Now that I have my 92 running, and it already got nice paint, where do the decals go? Its a long frame model from Dec 1935. I have a set of the 3 decals, the round, rectangle and red Maytag extra. Since mine has the place I'm sure I don't think I need the round one but where does the rectangular one go? I've looked at lots of photos and have not found a common placement.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Decal placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm M View Post
Now that I have my 92 running, and it already got nice paint, where do the decals go? Its a long frame model from Dec 1935. I have a set of the 3 decals, the round, rectangle and red Maytag extra. Since mine has the place I'm sure I don't think I need the round one but where does the rectangular one go? I've looked at lots of photos and have not found a common placement.
Malcolm,
From about April 1 1933 to late 1936 Octoberishhhhh the engines sported Two Decals. The main one is the Maytag Script with all the patents and dates. This one goes on the top of the block centered between the cylinder mounting flange and the block part number. Oriented so that the top of the decal is towards the ignition plate.
The "Notice" decal is the other one to use. It goes on the tank but the location varies depending on the tank. If you have the S-279 tank it goes on the carburetor side of the vertical face of the tank itself. To the right of the fuel fill. If its the S-284 tank it too goes on the carb side of the vertical face of the tank directly under the fuel fill plug. If its the S-231 long tank it usually goes on the left side of the tank between the fuel drain and the segment spring mount in the side. But you also see it ahead of the spring mount location. A 1935 engine will not take the round Caution decal as the engine came with a Caution plate. That decal seems to have came late in 1936. The caution plate disappeared from regular use ((but it returned just for the model 19 engine)) about the time the notice decal arrived, so did the pinned points ignition plate. The date the decal arrived is not recorded for sure. We can only get an idea of the time period from SURVIVING unmolested original paint engines with decals still showing. Mark PS: The red Maytag is just decorative to use on a skid or box. PPS: I know this is all more info then you asked for but figured it was a good time too repost as new folks may be watching now. I may read this again in the morning and see a glaring error I made due to lack of sleep, its late. Night!!

Last edited by Mark Shulaw; 08-19-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Registered-I

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. The second Model 92 that I have that will be the harder restoration has its original paint (or what is left of it) and I can see the original decal remnants of the top decal and the round side decal but this motor is a very late (June 36) model 92. This engine that I just got running had been restored in the past as it had older but still very nice green paint but no decals on it.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Subscriber

Thats good info to have, you have a late June 1936 with the caution decal. Would you pass along the serial number? Does it have a Caution Plate? Anyone else with earlier serial numbers and the caution decal? Only unrestored original untouched by us engines can give us the most reliable data. Truely barn fresh, not even just cleaned up. Thanks Mark