Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Stationary Steam & Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Stationary Steam & Traction Engines Antique steam engines, traction engines, their boilers and the related things that make them run.

Stationary Steam & Traction Engines

Burning Wood: Round vs Split

Was tending Marvin Troutwines 80 Case on the last day of the Western Montana Fair. There wasn't a...

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 5363 times

Old 08-20-2010, 02:01 AM
Registered-II

Default Burning Wood: Round vs Split

Was tending Marvin Troutwines 80 Case on the last day of the Western Montana Fair. There wasn't a big wood pile present and the general thought was (at 11:30) that we would be out of wood well before 6 pm. Most of the wood was short cedar post (cut up poles) rounds.

When I arrived, the fire was going with whole rounds (most around 18" long). Holding a fire at 50 lbs all day leaves time for other things, so I started splitting some of the rounds (12-15" diameter). As I started firing with this, I noticed that we seemed to have more wood and the fire was easier to keep up. In the end (6:00 pm) we wound up with a surplus.

So, the question is, will split wood fire better than rounds? Or am I guilty (and I've been accused of having "magic wood" of just getting the fire to like me? Sort of curious with what others have found.

I realize that most operators are happy to have anything to burn and when burning wood, especially on sawmills, it's probably going to be slab wood. Also certainly understand that nobody really wants to (if they can avoid it) split wood.

Michael Seitz
Missoula MT
The Following User Says Thank You to mikefrommontana:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2010, 02:12 AM

Thanked 13,584 Times in 4,242 Posts
Default Re: Wood: Round vs Split

It's a heckuva lot easier firing with "smaller" wood.
It's MUCH easier keeping the corners covered and the wood burns faster making it easier to keep up steam.
Big chunks allow a lot of cold air to get through the bed of fire too.
If (when) there's trouble it also burns down faster.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craig A:
Old 08-20-2010, 07:35 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,293 Times in 604 Posts

It depends a lot on the boiler and the firebox. A return flue will like smaller pieces of wood because more of it can be stuffen into the "firebox". A boiler which has a farily large firebox for it's size, like my Keck, can stand much larger chuncks of wood and still perform well.
"There's just something about steam!"
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyG:
Old 08-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Subscriber

Generally, I think the more finely divided the wood, the more efficient the fire. Pulverized coal and sawdust burning in suspension brings this principle to it's ultimate.

For those of us in the "woodstove" crowd, this principle may not apply directly. Cordwood Woodstoves are generally best to run "airtight" and while short periodic fire tending may lend itself to efficiency, it's a heck of a lot easier to put in a big round and go watch the football game.

On the other end of the spectrum, pellet stoves bring your divided wood thought to its closest home application. The stove measures out only what fuel is necessary to keep up the heat setting, adds fuel as necessary, meanwhile fuel being finely divided, meanwhile fuel being concentrated in a retort area that concentrates and focuses the heat. So with a pellet stove you can have efficiency AND go watch that football game.

But be prepared for when the power goes off...

Joe
Old 08-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,196 Times in 378 Posts

Smaller pieces generate more surface area for the fire to be active on. To many small pieces can choke off the air trying to come through the draft doors. It's a matter of knowing your engine and how it fires best. Larry PS-this is from a 1/3 scale CASE owner/operator
Old 08-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Subscriber

I not a steam man but, my Father always told me that Split firewood would fire a wood heater faster than non split firewood. So I always had to split all his firewood. My father could have our wood heater hot in a very short time on a cold winter morning.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Burning Wood: Round vs Split

Split wood burns faster, good for starting fires and raising steam quickly. Round wood takes longer to catch but lasts longer. Flat pieces, like slabs and scrap make it easier to keep the holes in the fire covered. The dryer the wood the better, half green slabs have to cook a while before you get heat, so you need to anticipate. Firing under load will keep you busy, no matter what shape the wood is. Except for kindling I wouldn't split any firewood that will go through the fire door.
Jack Hottel
Peerless 50
Old 08-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,813 Times in 547 Posts

to make firewood last longer you need to burn against the grain.....especially split wood....of course the bark on the wood burns a lot hotter than the rest
Old 08-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Registered-II

Hence the old saying, bark down steam up, bark up steam down! when using slab wood fresh off the saw mill.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James L:
Old 08-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Subscriber

Consider your self a good fireman!
It really is a matter of experience. Knowing your boiler and knowing your wood ( or coal) and adapting to changes in the fuel supply is what make a good fireman!

Wood that does not burn well to start with will burn a lot better when it is split. Large pieces of poor wood just sit in the firebox unless you have something else to keep them lit or a good draft. If your boiler has a large exhaust nozzle or does not draft real well you may tend toward smaller wood. Then, what works on one engine may not work so well on another! Firing really is an art. That’s part of the fun!

-DA-
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steamrguy:
Old 08-21-2010, 02:24 AM
Registered-III

We make jokes about his "Magic Wood" but there is no one I'd rather have on the deck in a cut. It was like the loaves and the fish on the wood deck and we put ourselves out of a job. Best idling day we've had in awhile.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,140 Times in 1,925 Posts

I usually keep an axe on whatever one of my engines I'm running at the time-I prefer to burn smaller split wood over big chunks any day. Only time I like to throw any really good sized chunks is when we're taking a break for awhile, and I want to throw something in there that will keep the heat for awhile and I can shut the damper and not worry about the fire going out.

Last weekend at Wilson County, we were cutting good dry stuff on the mill, (Cedar, Oak, Walnut, and Buckeye) and after a good size pile of slabs built up, out would come the chainsaw and I'd have a new supply of fuel. Fired most of the day on the stuff. I had some small rounds (dry) to fire up on first thing that morning that I'd brought from home-a little bit of Hickory and some (gasp!) Elm.... That's all I had, and someone had told me awhile back if Elm is dried properly it WILL burn...he was right!

I really have to say my favorite fuel of choice on a steamer on a sawmill is good DRY slab wood. That stuff you've got to boil the sap out of before it will burn will work you to death, though, unless you have a really monstrous firebox where you can pack enough in there to be drying while you've got some already lit off and burning good. You can't smother the fire with it, though. I HATE that green stuff!

Mike M
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKnight:
Old 08-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,438 Times in 944 Posts

I get my firewood from a local mill works. It has been kiln dried and it is drops or pieces that they can't use. When I go there, they even cut the long stuff for me to the distance requested. They have to pay for the dumpster, so they like it when I show up because it saves them money. They use many different types of wood, but they mill one species on day "x" and then a different species on day "y". I like to get there on the days that they mill maple because that seems to be the hottest burning wood of the species that they mill. I also get poplar, it is great for my boys that have more energy than I do because it burns about as fast as they can throw it in the firebox.............................

I always enjoyed firing on green slabs when I was younger on my friend's steam sawmill, it was like trying to solve a puzzle to keep steam up with green wood. Sometimes I would stack wood on top of the boiler and it would start the drying process, other times I would place it under the ash pan. I was always trying something to help dry it so I would not have to split the slabs into twigs.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0508.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Smith:
Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Registered-II

Well, didn't expect quite so many responses. One bonus in the pile was some really odd and wet mystery wood (Elm, Willow?) but it was perfect for working on the sides and corners to keep them from burning out so quickly. Except for one one long unsplit round (about 9") the fire burned out within a half hour of ending firing. Should the situation arise again, I'll be back at the axe.

Thanks!

Michael Seitz
Missoula MT
Old 08-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Registered-III

When I was a lad (not that long ago) we preferred to heat the house with elm. It is a pain to light, that's what the other hardwoods are for, but once a good bed of coals has been established, it will hold a fire all night long.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,184 Times in 2,563 Posts

Split wood has a lot more surface area to burn and will give a hotter faster burning fire that can be controlled with the damper if need be to slow it down and make it last longer. Bigger chunks or rounds have less surface area and a bigger 'heat sink' that needs to be heated up before it burns good and will last longer with normal draft and likely need more draft to get it burning good and hot.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Registered-II

Lightbulb Re: Burning Wood: Round vs Split

And also split wood is better for steaming up because it alows more air through, so you have a bigger fire. And round is better if you have steam and are sitting around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Case-d: