Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Midwest Shows

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1603 times

Old 08-30-2010, 08:48:45 PM
Registered-I

Default Midwest Shows

Hello, I do not have a collection, but I enjoy going to steam and engine shows. I have been at the Baraboo Wis. show and several other smaller ones. I am thinking about going to the Rollag show this weekend and have never been there before. Because it would be a several hour drive, I would like to know what the show is like in size. It appears to be one of the larger shows - is it?. Further, what are the largest Midwestern shows?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2010, 09:38:47 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Midwest Shows

I am probably a bit biased, but I would certainly highly reccomend taking a trip to Rollag. There is a little bit of everything for the steam/gas engine and tractor enthusiast. If I remember right the show grounds is about 250 acres. Yes it is one of the larger shows. I would think it would not be possible to really see everything in one day, especially if you took anytime at all to watch the different demonstrations going on. There is a parade 2 times a day, at 10 and 2 and it takes quite a while to finish each one, and that is often having equipment go up the hill in pairs. Food is great and in my experience the people are great. There is a world class exhibit of Otto engines, many stationary steam engines, two full size locomotives, miniature RR, steam carosel and of course the best part, many operating steam traction engines. Oh and I almost forgot, three operating steam powered sawmills and one miniature steam sawmill. Don't forget to take a swing through miniature land. I do not think you would be disappointed. I will be on the 20hp Minneapolis traction engine #8702 most of the weekend so introduce yourself if you make the trip. Take a look at http://www.rollag.com

Darren
The Following User Says Thank You to Darren Gunderson For This Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 09:39:24 PM
Subscriber

No way would you ever be disappointed in Rollag. One of the best shows, period. Gas tractors, lots of steam, buildings full of special gas engines, hot air engines, miniature steam, models etc.,etc. Great food ,good entertainment. Definately worth the drive no matter how far it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan Baalman For This Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 10:17:19 PM
Subscriber

PZ,

I have never been to Rollag, but was going to go there this year. There was a change as Mt Pleasant as it is there 60th Year....going to be a big blow out this year...Rollag is at their 57th year...

www.rollag.com

www.oldthreshers.com

Both seem to be large events....

Hope this help....off to Iowa in the morning...

David
The Following User Says Thank You to MaytagRepairMan For This Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 10:20:21 PM
Subscriber

Trust me PZ 1, the show is worth the drive! As Darren mentions, the exhibits are world class and the grounds itself is beautiful with the woods and lake. The large engines such as the 600 Snow are a thrill to see and all the demonstrators enjoy striking up a conversation. Get rested, go early and stay late! You cannot see it all in one day.
Fred
The Following User Says Thank You to FArmstrong For This Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 10:22:38 PM

Thanked 11,672 Times in 3,590 Posts

Rollag is a great show-went last year for the first time-and had a ball.

I'd still vote for National Threshers Association in Wauseon, OH. We held our 66th show this year and have a reputation for being one of the most active. Check out our website: www.NationalThreshers.com

BTW, it pays for us to visit all of the shows and take back the great parts to our home shows! Several of the Rollag guys came to NTA and really enjoyed themselves.

Then there is Five Points Steam Threshers; LaGrange, IN; Mason, MI: Wellington, OH; Rock River-Edgerton, WI; and the list goes on!

Beth
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 10:39:26 PM
Subscriber

Labor Day Weekend is a great time to see a show. Others in your neck of the words during that time are Edgerton, Wisconsin, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, and Pontiac, Illinois. Not for the weak, but taking in Mt. Pleasant and Pontiac or Rollag and Edgerton within the three day weekend can give you an iron fix that will leave you buzzing for weeks!
The Following User Says Thank You to FArmstrong For This Post:
Old 08-30-2010, 11:20:31 PM
Administrator

Thanked 9,007 Times in 1,480 Posts

And then there's this...

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/calend...5&day=2010-9-9
Old 08-31-2010, 06:40:20 AM
Registered-III

I know one stacker that does do the three and or four run here in the upper midwest on Labor Day Weekend. He does this about every year.
Terry
Old 08-31-2010, 11:39:10 AM
Registered-I

Okay - Rollag, here I come !

Thank you all for the help.

One other question - how is it pronounced - rah lug?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:56:38 AM
Registered-II

It is pronounced roll-log. Named after a village in Norway that is called Rollag.
Great to have you come up! I've lived here all my life and I've never missed a show. You won't be disappointed. There is lots to see - 1 day won't do it justice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Defsim For This Post: