Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Horse Drawn Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Horse Drawn Equipment Old iron designed for the purpose of hitching up to a horse or a team. This old iron machinery may be used or demonstrated while hooked to an old iron tractor too.

Horse Drawn Equipment

Horse Drawn "Standard Oil" Fuel wagon on auction.

this thread has 39 replies and has been viewed 13822 times

Old 10-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Horse Drawn "Standard Oil" Fuel wagon on auction.

Sure Tom, I will have to dig out some disks since the computer at the time has "passed away". The serial number is under the seat on each side painted between the two rods that sandwiched the tank between the seat and the frame. Both of my tanks came from Kansas and were prop of Standard Oil of Indiana so I am not sure all of them painted them there. In the 20s the early truck tanks had the number stamped on a plate and welded on the tank with three tacks so dirt always got behind it and rusted it out. I will try to find some pics, Aaron
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Registered-III

I got one of both sides of the front under the drivers seat with the serial numbers but I will have to download if onto the computer again. I took plenty of pics if there is anything else you need, its just how it looked after sand blasting. Hope this helps, Aaron
Attached Thumbnails
oil 2.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avery22x36 For This Post:
Old 10-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Registered-II

I need help. I bought a tank like these two years ago on eBay.
I paid for it and never heard from the guy again. I needed the address or lat/long to find it. It is near Ft. Pierre, SD. It is an old WNAX fuel tanker tank. They were able to sell fuel really cheaply by delivering in bulk.

If anyone near Ft. Pierre knows where this rascal is sitting I would be MOST grateful to find it.

I don't think the seller was malicious or anything, we just lost contact and I was undergoing some cancer fun at the time so my attention span was not the best! Fine now, or at least a lot better than I was.

Most respectfully,
Mike Rock

It was doing duty as a water tank when I bought it. Bottom is rusty but holds water. I want to make a water tanker on running gear like it was... water for horses when working away from house.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Registered-III

Mike, those oil wagons are pretty valuable you know? They are also compartment wagons so they don't make the best waterwagons.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Registered-III

Mike, you might post your inquiry over on draftanimalpower.com
I know there's some guys from SD there, and they're into horsedrawn stuff, so it may be a good chance they'd know of that wagon.
Good luck!!
John
Old 04-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,461 Times in 2,711 Posts
Photo Re: Horse Drawn "Standard Oil" Fuel wagon on auction.

I found this neat Cabinet Photo picture on eBay showing a Horse Drawn oil tank. Location unknown but apparently the Photographer or photo developer was from Rock Island Illinois, so presumably the oil tank was from there or near by as well.

It's a bit pricey at $35.95 for a 4x6 picture on a 7 3/4 x 9 3/4 board, but it is a pretty neat old picture.

Auction number 300599963804 has 16 days left on it, so it looks like it's a 30 day listing and will likely be relisted if it doesn't sell, so the number should be good for a while.

I downloaded and sharpened the picture a little to post it here. The original SHOULD be even sharper yet as most cabinet photos are, but the shot that was uploaded to eBay and then downloaded by me is a bit grainy and there's only so much you can do with that.

Interesting to see that even though it should have been relatively new in the picture, it has a pretty good sized dent in the side of the tank. Also has a Convertable Buggy Top for the driver, as seen a little better in the cropped picture.

Figured I'd post it here and update this thread, along with checking to see if anyone was able to help Mike locate his as mentioned in post #23.
Attached Thumbnails
Horse Drawn oil wagon in Rock Island Illinois.jpg   Cropped Copy of Convertable top.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Registered

I have an old fuel wagon tank at home. It is a different shape than most though. It isn't as round as all of the ones I have seen. Has anybody seen one like this before?
It has almost a flat bottom and straight sides with a slight round top. Also has 3 seperate compartments. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC09888.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to ranks23 For This Post:
Old 06-06-2012, 05:43 AM
Registered-III

Ranks23, I believe there is one like this in Liberal Kansas, its been a while since I saw it but think it had an oil company plate on the rear axle? I will look through my pics and see if I can find it for you. I only remember it because it was unusual and pretty neat all around.
The Following User Says Thank You to Avery22x36 For This Post:
Old 06-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Registered

Avery22x36, Thanks for your reply. Any other help on my fuel wagon would be appreciated. It is also for sale if you know of anybody that may be interested.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Subscriber

Got to watch Another One sell at auction today.

This one, the tank itself was in good shape, and it had most of the running gear under it, though one back wheel was busted up pretty bad. Other back one was somewhat rotted. I didn't look at the front ones that close, other than to notice that they seem a little big compaired to other ones I've seen.

This one also had the box with it, though it was setting on the ground in front instead of hanging on the back.

Sold for $1050.00

Auction also had a 5hp Monitor Saw Rig that sold for $1750.00 an old flour mill that had some damage and parts missing but was still pretty nice overall that sold for $60.00 and a neat old wooden horse drawn water tank that I didn't stick around long enough to see what it sold for. There was also a neat little Dog Treadmill power unit, but I wasn't paying attention to hear what it sold for.

Got to see some of my Dad's handywork on an old 1907-1909 Deere & Mansur 5-10 horse power-unit that sold for a whopping $5100.00 with a telephone bid sending it to Montana. The power unit (or a couple parts of it anyway) was bought by Robert Lamm back in 1979, and My Dad welded some of those parts back together, and then fabricated all of the missing parts that I snapped several pictures of just to compare his parts with the originals. Had to look pretty close to find some of them.

I might post some pictures of some of the other stuff later in another thread and try to keep this one on the oil tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
4-13-13 Picture 001 (24).jpg   4-13-13 Picture 001 (25).jpg  

Last edited by OTTO-Sawyer; 04-14-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Had wrong date on the Deere hp unit
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 04-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Registered-II

Drat,
Was yesterday THE auction down there?

Mike
Old 04-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Registered-III

That was a nice tank! I'd love to have one like that to rebuild.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Registered

There is also an Antique Horse Drawn "Premier Gasoline" Wagon selling by Unreserved Auction on July 6th in Wainwright, AB, CAN.
Attached Thumbnails
GEDC3066 (800x600).jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevin351 For This Post:
Old 06-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Subscriber

That's a pretty nice looking one.

Keep us posted on what it sells for.

I haven't seen any restored ones sell yet.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Registered-III

OTTO-Sawyer, That had to be the deal of the century on the Standard Oil Wagon! Did you happen to get any other pics of the box that went on the back? I have never found an original one to copy so I just use old photos to get close. I have redone several just like that one and none of them were that nice of shape to start with, wow, just wow.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:20 PM
Subscriber

Avery:

These are the only other pictures I have showing the box.

Sorry..... I forgot you were looking for one of them, or I would have opened it up and taken some shots of the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
4-13-13 Picture 001 (26).jpg   4-13-2013 Picture 001 (20).jpg  
Old 06-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Registered-II

Yeah, he told me about the sale the following Monday!!!

Mike
Old 06-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rock View Post
Yeah, he told me about the sale the following Monday!!!

Mike
Awe, come on now Mike.....

I appoligized to you on Sunday (via PM), not Monday, for failing to tell you about it.

I posted it on here Saturday as soon as I got home from the auction, which I had seen the sale bill on a couple weeks earlier & meant to tell you about it and then lost track of it, only to end up riding along with a friend and going to it hoping that it had been advertized well enough that maybe I would have run in to you there. And I was walking around scanning the crowd looking for you, (hoping that you had seen it listed somewhere) and commented to my friend that I should have let you know about it. And YES, I do feel bad for not telling you. (at least I did let people know about the one in the opening post ahead of time)

Then of course I got the phone call Sunday morning about my Mother passing that kind of put things on hold for me for a while. Already knew she wasn't doing well a couple weeks before that, and had that in the back of my mind as well, but as she had recovered a couple times before, I hoped she would hold out till summer time in hopes of maybe getting down to see her if I was in better traveling condition myself by then.(which I almost am at the moment, but that can all change at the drop of a hat). When my Sisters went down to be with her, (after one of them got a call from the nursing home) they never even tried to contact me to let me know ahead of time. They just called & told me about it after the fact.

I still need to get some of the other pictures from that auction posted in one thread or another. Flour Mill, Wooden water tank, dog treadmill, horsepower unit, etc. I'm debating on whether to start another thread this late after the sale, (sidetracked and forgotten about till now) or just include them here even though they don't fit in with this thread.

And by the way...... in responce to your earlier post:
Drat,
Was yesterday THE auction down there?
THAT (Sale Barn, Spring Consignment) auction Was the same day, and I had that sale bill laying by the computer and Would Have let you know about it, but I had gone out to look at stuff there the day before and there wasn't ANYTHING Interesting there to let you know about. Their Summer Consignment sale is coming up July 6th and usually has more stuff than the Spring sale does, though it's still too early to know what will be there. Not sure yet what the date will be for the Fall sale, which also brings out some good stuff once in a while.

Later.....
Old 06-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Registered-II

Hey guy,
How are you doing!

Got a good laugh from your note.

Years ago I bought and paid for a tank wagon on eBay. It was near Ft. Pierre, SD. Good price too. Well, I never got out to pick it up for one reason another... So, if anyone near there knows where the WNAX tank still sits, I would love to hear. I WOULD like to get it.

WNAX was a radio/oil station/company that delivered fuel to that area at very low prices. I hear it was a well run outfit and profitable as heck.

Take care, 'Otto'!

MOST respectfully,
Mike

How's the shop cleaning project going? This out to result in another cool note... Folks, if you haven't seen this shop you owe it to yourself to visit. There is more cool stuff per square foot than I have ever seen before..or since.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Rock For This Post:
Old 06-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rock View Post

How's the shop cleaning project going? This out to result in another cool note... Folks, if you haven't seen this shop you owe it to yourself to visit. There is more cool stuff per square foot than I have ever seen before..or since.
Thanks for the "more cool stuff per square foot" comment, but........

It's still about as full as when I showed it to you and sold you a couple pieces. I scrapped out several of the parts cars and trucks that were probably still setting around the yard at that time, but still trying to hang on to as much stuff as I can while selling or scrapping as little as possible to keep the bills paid.

Like most Hoarders.... The FEWER people that see it, the better. Yes there are some very cool things in there, (and out in the yard yet), and some odd-ball items that you won't see anywhere else, which is why I bought them, but again, the fewer that see it the better , plus a lot of it is buried under other not so cool stuff.

Even though I maybe should be ashamed to let ANYONE see it, (with the piles of 'not so cool' stuff), I have no problem showing the building to some people, but once again..... the fewer the better, especially if I don't know them. It ain't exactly a Museum, (though with some selective cleaning & disposal it maybe could be a small one), and it ain't open to the general public.