Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.) Restoring, maintaining and operating Generac generators.

Generac Generators (SEARS, etc.)

Generac 4000EXL auto idle problem

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 5449 times

Old 09-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Generac 4000EXL auto idle problem

I acquired this generator from my brother-in-law @ a year ago. He said it had not been cranked in @ two years. I drained the fuel and changed the oil and plug. It cranked on the third pull. It puts out power. I finally found an owners manual and parts and wiring diagram. When I push the auto Idle switch it shuts down the generator. I tried this 4 or 5 times and it does it every time. Anyone have any solutions as to this problem?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Registered-III

Liked 122 Times in 119 Posts
Default Re: Generac 4000EXL auto idle problem

Maynard-

It may be as easy as cleaning the carburetor. That is the first place I'd look if it had set up for a long time with old gas.

When Idle Control is activated, a solenoid moves the throttle to full idle. If you manually move the throttle control to the idle stop, the engine should not cut off. You might be able to work around the problem by adjusting the idle stop screw on the carburetor, but I'd try cleaning the carburetor first.

If you don't already have it, search the web for 0C1103A.pdf. It is the service manual for several of the Generac engines similar to yours. Section 5 deals with the Idle Control system.

Fred