New Server!
Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Johnson Utilimotor

I need to get educated on the Johnson Utilimotor Model U. Are they a hit&miss engine? What is the...

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2416 times

Old 10-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Registered-III

Default Johnson Utilimotor

I need to get educated on the Johnson Utilimotor Model U. Are they a hit&miss engine? What is the fuel mixture? I am running it on 16-1. It smokes real bad to the point the crud runs out of the exhaust. I tried to lean the fuel needle to the point it kills. It still contiues to smoke real bad. It doesn't hit&miss. It contiues to fire every time. Is possible that it is an ignition problem? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!! Arlie
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Johnson Utilamotor

I use the same mixture as the maytag engine take as far as fuel
the fuel adjustment screw is very sensitive just like the upright maytag engines
The engine should hit more often than a 92 maytag but not every time I will try to post a video of mine running I know that mine is correct
You can check the governor and make sure it is moving freely through the inspection cover maybe also your spring is to tight
they do have a different sound than the maytag motors good to hear that you have a running engine
Old 10-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Registered-II

Arlie, In addition to the governor ring spring being too strong, you may also have the governor nut too tight. It should be loose enough to let the governor ring move away from the points tripper with pressure from you finger. I have attached a pic of the WICO mag version so you can see the governor ring with its weight( in the pic the weight is towards the bottom) the govenor nut is directly across from the left coil and the points tripper is at the top of the ring. The governor rings pivots on the screw that the nut is on. Sorry for the explanation if you know this all already. Your engine should run very smooth using the 16 to 1 mixture. Does you carb have the choke lever that can be moved when the engine"warms up". If it is running rich, the choke needs to be open. www.bser.com has a manual for this engine. Send him an email and let him know what mag you have so he can send the correct manual. Let us know what you find as the problem. Kelby
Attached Thumbnails
Engien Pics 025.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to kelby:
Old 10-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Registered-III

Well I really did not find any problems. I checked the gas tank for excessive oil. I did not find any problem there. I drained all the gas and poured in some 50-1 mix from my stehl leaf blower. It runs much better and still smokes a little. I plan to run it for a longer time and see what happens. I will keep you posted. Thankyou for the Ideas. Arlie
Old 10-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Johnson Utilimotor

I think that 50 to 1 is to lean and would not run leaner than 20 to 1. These engines run like a Maytag twin about 1500 rpm. What kind of flywheel do you have? Cast iron or aluminum, there are two types of ingition systems. If your serial number is below 9000 it will have aluminum and above 9000 it will be cast iron.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Registered-III

Check the rings for wear and free movement.They could also be weak.Exhaust port clear?
Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Registered-II

no its not an ignition problem it is either a 2 stroke or 4 stroke and if it smokes real bad then you might need to replace your rings because it is burning oil along with the fuel.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Registered-I

Any ideas where a guy could find a service manual for a Johnson Utilimotor? I havn't done anything with the motor and would like a manual.
Worth99
Old 10-31-2011, 08:51 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Johnson Utilimotor U 14

I am looking for parts for a u 14.The whole flywheel assembly.All I have is the engine.Need somthing to put on shaft to make it run.Thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,788 Times in 2,435 Posts
Exclamation Re: Johnson Utilimotor

The 2 stroke engine uses 16:1 ratio. Do not cut the ratio as the bronze bearings (manis and rod) will starve for lubrication if you cut it. 50:1 is way too lean! These engines smoke as part of their nature, you can not stop it. Just stay down wind!
Andrew