Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Deadbeat Buyers!

this thread has 36 replies and has been viewed 3912 times

Old 11-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Registered-II

Liked 265 Times in 62 Posts
Default Deadbeat Buyers!

I have sold many engines but have never ran into people not following through with what they say they are going to do. Now it has happened to me twice in a row! I have a 2HP Famous that is on Harry's for sale right now that has been on there two other times since mid September now a third time due to non payment both times. The first time was deal from Canada, he called me and said I will take it. Never heard from him again! Wouldn't answer phone calls or emails. The second time was a deal in VA. which did keep in touch but never followed through! All of the years that I have been in this hobby I have never had this happen. Usually you never meet a stranger and people are good for their word. Thanks for listening to me rant!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Registered-III

Liked 114 Times in 99 Posts
Default Re: Dead beat buyers!

i had this happen to in my other hobby of black powder shooten the last guy was finaly honest he said the economy and his wife said NO but i get this answer till a month later
sounds possible but true or not who knows for sure
buying and selling on the internet sure opens a lot of doors but it also opens more cans of worms
The Following 4 Users Like This Post:
Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Sponsor/buy,sale,trade

Liked 646 Times in 138 Posts
Smile Re: Dead beat buyers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim l kesler View Post
I have sold many engines but have never ran into people not following through with what they say they are going to do. Now it has happened to me twice in a row! I have a 2HP Famous that is on Harry's for sale right now that has been on there two other times since mid September now a third time due to non payment both times. The first time was deal from Canada, he called me and said I will take it. Never heard from him again! Wouldn't answer phone calls or emails. The second time was a deal in VA. which did keep in touch but never followed through! All of the years that I have been in this hobby I have never had this happen. Usually you never meet a stranger and people are good for their word. Thanks for listening to me rant!
Hi neighbor Tim, we've all been through this a few times & have learned from this. I don't mark anything sold until I receive a deposit or payment for the item I have forsale. When someone contacts me & says"I'll take it, mark it sold",
I give them a couple weeks to send their deposit or payment.
If I don't receive the payment, it sales to the next person that contacted me. There are a few "window shoppers" that are wasting everyones time. "Just my 2-cents" on past experience.
The Following 4 Users Like This Post:
Old 11-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Subscriber

Liked 1,987 Times in 876 Posts

I suppose it would open a "can of worms" to publicize the names of these deadbeats?
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 11-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Subscriber

Liked 3,592 Times in 926 Posts

Had this happen to me too. About a year ago I put a 1 1/2 IHC M on here and a guy from California wanted it. Told him it could sit at our place until the summer when he could get up here and get it, well, its almost winter and nothing yet. (dont know why on earth you would drive from southern California to Oregon to get a IHC M in the first place )

I have had dead beat buyers benefit me as well though. A guy here in Eastern Oregon had a twin cylinder steam engine, boiler and big whistle that a guy from Texas "bought" from him, even sent half of the money in advance. Well almost 2 years went by and he never showed up to get it, so the guy sold me the iron for the remaining price. Worked out ok for me
Old 11-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Liked 6,642 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kimball View Post
I suppose it would open a "can of worms" to publicize the names of these deadbeats?
Yes it would, but your email is your email and you can do there as you will.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Subscriber

Liked 1,913 Times in 802 Posts

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a 2hp Famous today. My guess is they didn't start off not wanting to pay. Maybe they had buyers remorse.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Subscriber

Liked 4,408 Times in 1,163 Posts

Times are hard and wills are still strong. I have bought and paid for many items i should have thought out a little better but right is right. Is i say i do, i will.

Rod
The Following 6 Users Like This Post:
Old 11-19-2010, 08:04 AM
Subscriber

Liked 1,503 Times in 300 Posts

I have listed a few things on Craig's list and have had the scam artists going crazy, wanting to send and deposit extra money in paypal for shipping if i will send them the money on ahead for the shipping. To stop deadbeat buyers I have said in my recent ads, I will not respond to any questions with out a full name, address and phone number, that stopped that monkey motion in bud. I told the last interested person before adding that line about sending me their information. I might have been born at night but not last night.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Registered-II

Liked 155 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim l kesler View Post
I don't think DEADBEAT BUYERS is the proper term to use. That infers that they stiffed you out of some money. You're not out any money as you still have the engine. You didn't spend anything on shipping, you didn't drive a few hundred miles to meet the buyer somewhere or any such scenario.

You need to define your terms better. Once the deal has been made tell the buyer he has a few days to get you the money or you will relist it. Or whatever terms work for the both of you.

Nobody is a "DEADBEAT" if they have second thoughts about a purchase. Of course they could tell you that they changed their minds but some times we are a bit too proud to do so.

Let it go. Relist it with terms that you are comfortable with. Life is too short to get so worked up about something you are doing as a hobby.
The Following 3 Users Like This Post:
Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Email NOT Working

Liked 356 Times in 182 Posts

Before the Deal is complete I always follow 3 simple rules :
1. Get your Money first.
2. Get your Money first.
3. Get your Money first.
After these rules are met. Then the item is Sold.
Sometimes these 3 rules are hard to complete.
Also I make my living in sales and I would be Rich if all my Deals became Sells!
Merton
Old 11-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Subscriber

Liked 1,987 Times in 876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Will View Post
I don't think DEADBEAT BUYERS is the proper term to use
Definition of "deadbeat": Someone who fails to meet a financial obligation

If they say they'll take an item for sale I'd say they are "obligated". I believe deadbeat is the correct term.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kimball View Post
Definition of "deadbeat": Someone who fails to meet a financial obligation

If they say they'll take an item for sale I'd say they are "obligated". I believe deadbeat is the correct term.
I take it that you have never changed your mind before you signed on the dotted line? If I called my customers that have changed their minds "deadbeats" I wouldn't have any left.

Find something bigger to worry and rant about. This is an everyday occurrence in the real world.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Registered-III

Liked 149 Times in 65 Posts
Default Re: Deadbeat Buyers!

I have to go along with Doug, IF YOU DON"T FOLLOW THRU YOU ARE A DEADBEAT !! ( First thing a buyer needs to do is think about if he really want's the item before telling you he will take it. After that if he doesn't follow thru, guess what ! You got it DEAD BEAT ! )
The Following 2 Users Like This Post:
Old 11-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Registered-III

Liked 433 Times in 192 Posts

I've had the opposite happen to me, I found a nice complete sawmill for sale along the road. All factory made steel with a top saw for large logs and a huge carriage. I thought this would be great for our show so on a Saturday drove home to call cause my cell wasnt getting service in the area. I told the gentalman that I'll take the mill but had to wait till Monday to send the check out. By the time he got my check, he sold it to someone else. Too bad a man's word isnt worth squat anymore... But I guess its always been that way from the stories heard from many years ago...
Old 11-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Registered-III

Liked 224 Times in 156 Posts

A man is a man that does what he says he's gonna do.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Registered-III

Liked 1,459 Times in 573 Posts

i've had more trouble with sellers than buyers.....wether your selling or buying and you agree on it you should stick with it no excuses on either side.....buy from me i'll treat you right sell to me you will sure as hell get your money as fast as the us post office can carry it...or as fast as i can pull it out of my pocket and either way i will tell you thanks.....john
Old 11-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Email NOT Working

Liked 356 Times in 182 Posts

I think what most of the preceding posts show, is that the power of the bond of a "promise to buy or sell" is not as strong as it once was.
Merton
Old 11-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCanady View Post
I think what most of the preceding posts show, is that the power of the bond of a "promise to buy or sell" is not as strong as it once was.
Merton

The 1950's are over, Ward.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Subscriber

Liked 2,862 Times in 1,290 Posts

When you're dealing with me, it's STILL, the 1950's!!!!!