Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler Generator - 4CM21 High Voltage

Hello, I just acquired a Kohler Electric Plant model 4cm21 with the following numbers 10214A3-44B....

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1360 times

Old 12-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Registered

Default Kohler Generator - 4CM21 High Voltage

Hello, I just acquired a Kohler Electric Plant model 4cm21 with the following numbers 10214A3-44B. It's a 4 KW unit. The guy I got it from said he burn up two air conditioners with it. I did a little maintenance on it like oil change and carb work and she fired right up and ran fine. But the voltage output was 179 volts at idle and on an engine rev the voltage jumped to around 205.

I can see why he lost those AC compressors with that kind of high voltage. I don't have any type of manuals or paperwork on this thing and I really don't know what to check on it to get this voltage down to 120.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and certainly used.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Kohler Generator-4cm21 High Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerleg5 View Post
Hello, I just acquired a Kohler Electric Plant model 4cm21 with the following numbers 10214A3-44B. It's a 4 KW unit. The guy I got it from said he burn up two air conditioners with it. I did a little maintenance on it like oil change and carb work and she fired right up and ran fine. But the voltage output was 179 volts at idle and on an engine rev the voltage jumped to around 205.

I can see why he lost those AC compressors with that kind of high voltage. I don't have any type of manuals or paperwork on this thing and I really don't know what to check on it to get this voltage down to 120.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and certainly used.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Hi Tim,
Check your engine speed. Engine govenor should hold engine RPM at 1800+/- 10%. At 1800 RPM, alternator should produce 120 volts.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Registered

Default Re: Kohler Generator-4cm21 High Voltage

Thanks for the info Randy. I was finally able to dig around deep enough and acquire the info on rpm = voltage regulation. She purrs like a kitten now and produces a nice steady voltage around 119 to 124 under a pretty good load.

Now my next task is building a frame for it with springs attached to compensate for the vibration. With it just sitting on blocks or whatever it will tend to walk off whatever is holding it and this thing weighs a ton. My plan is to build a frame with wheels for easy transport to where ever I need quick and quiet power.

I will say one thing about Kohler Engines. They are stout. I had a Kohler on a John Deere Mower and you could bush hog the field with that thing and not bog it down.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Kohler Generator - 4CM21 High Voltage

I have the 4-5ckm service manual, the 4-5ckm operators and install manual, and the 4.5 RV service manuals on 3 pdf files which I can e-mail. let me know. marcushenning@zillacomm.net