Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Raising serial numbers

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 3957 times

Old 03-06-2003, 11:53 AM
Eugene Borsoff

Default Raising serial numbers

The serial numbers on my Baker Monitor appear to have been worn or filed or ground off. Other monitors I have seen have had the number stamped in the raised area on the water hopper. Does anyone have any suggestions how to raise the serial number. I understand that crime labs can raise the serial numbers that have been removed from weapons, etc. When the original serial number is stamped the surrounding metal is distorted so the number can be raised. Stopping short of taking my water hopper to the Department of Justice and asking for their help, what do you suggest that has worked for you. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2003, 02:07 PM
Franz

Default Re: Raising serial numbers

First, try a 5% solution of citric acid in water, saturate the number area and apply heat from an oxy/acet torch. If that doesn't provide a readable number, you can get the lab kits police labs use from this source. You'll find the listing for serial number restoration kits half way down the page.

Lab kits
Old 03-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Eugene Borsoff

Please be advised that I purchased this engine from a reputable club member who has owned for many years. He purchased it from another club member who is now deceased. To the best of my knowledge this has been purchased legally.

Thank you Franz for your information. I have found similar products at CSI type supply co's. I have also heard that Murine eye wash and a black light may also do the trick. I will let you know what I find out.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Tim Claremont

Even though you can't see the numbers, I would try placing a piece of paper over the area and rubbing a pencil over the paper to see if that reveals the number.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:21 PM
Doug Wilson

Eugene, I wonder if magna-fluxing would give you a positive reading. This process is used to find cracks or flaws in engine blocks and heads. Doug.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:46 PM
Maurice Weiler

Eugene, Check the ends of the crank shaft .Sometimes the ser. no. is stamped there.