Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Pulley-Driven Bench Grinder

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2655 times

Old 03-09-2003, 02:55 AM
Drew Meng

Default Pulley-Driven Bench Grinder

I know that this isn't an engine question, but, was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a grinder set-up that attaches to your workbench and is pulley-driven from an electric motor??? My grandfather had one of these, basically - the way I remember it, it had a horizontal shaft that held two grind stones and a pulley. The frame was a flattened U-shape with bearings for the shaft. The pulley was connnected to an electric motor by a V-belt. The reason I'm looking for this is that I want to set-up a grinding wheel that I can regulate the speed by changing the pulley sizes, most of the bench grinders on sale today turn way to fast for what I need. If anyone has any ideas about building one, please respond also. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2003, 09:45 AM
Guy Doucette

Default Re: Pulley-Driven Bench Grinder

DREW;your memory serves you well!! i have a set up on my bench the same as your describing.the only diff.is i have 2 buffing wheels on it for oilers and such.it is like a Y with a pulley in the centre.It was cast in one piece.Get a couple of pillow block bearings (they have set screws on them)a piece of shaft threaded both ends,pulley off anything,insta-grinder!! check pulley size for speed.GUY.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:09 AM
Al Hettich

I have seen those in farm/home stores, I think Sears still has one in the catalog. They are real handy for polishing as the motor is not in the center taking up all the room for getting in the tight spots. When I was a kid we had one with the motor under the table, with a step pulley on the motor. The motor was mounted on a sliding shaft and you could move it sidways and jump the belt to any of 4 steps. We used grinding wheels-wire wheels-Buffing wheels. The wheels stuck out in the open and you could really work around them. It was a bit noisy, Quite ugly, but very practical. Al
Old 03-09-2003, 11:32 AM
Ken Majeski

I have one of those I use all the time. Put it on a stand when I was in Grade school and that was a long time ago... Much better than the new Chinese ones that turn too fast and vibrate You might try Farm auctions also. I like about 1500 to 1700 RPM, about half the speed of the new ones

My Old Engine Page
Old 03-09-2003, 01:15 PM
David Bacon

Friday eve there was a auction at Garnavillo auction Co. in NE Iowa. I do not think they could get a bid on it otherwise it was $2.00. Just to keep the sale going --www.garnavilloauction.com
Old 03-09-2003, 01:31 PM
Paul Hokanson

I have two of them and use them all the time. I see them at flea markets all the time also. Paul Hokanson
Old 03-09-2003, 01:50 PM
KBeitz

Please put a guard around the stone... A strong one...

You would if you seen what I did...
Old 03-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Warrern Hudson

Remember that the thread on the left end of the shaft is left handed.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Harvey Teal

Drew: I have several of these, some flat belt and some vbelt drive. Send me an email & let me know what size/speed you need.....Harvey Teal
Old 03-09-2003, 05:14 PM
Ralph Leonard

Hi Drew, I bought this one in mid 50's at Montgomery Wards, has ball bearings and use regular. The one from box is nos from yard sale, Dayton Electric Co. Chicago. Right is double shaft Dayton with diamond wheel, motor in back has wire brush.

These tools make lots of mess, so pull out wooden handles and roll outside. Good Hunting Ralph in NC

Old 03-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Engine Nut 1

My Dad still uses his grinder of this type (sears) and also has a simmular Mini Drill Press. He told me once that it was an old jewelers drill that he got when it was no longer accurate enough for the local jeweler. It has a V-belt the goes around the pulley on the chuck shaft, back around 2 more pulleys on a small horizontal shaft mounted to the back of the press, then down to the motor mounted under the bench (makes a looped "L" shape). It's not over 1 1/2 foot tall (actual drill press height), and is great for small stuff.

David in KCK