Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

New guy from Iowa

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1509 times

Old 01-01-2011, 01:07:08 AM
Registered-I

Default New guy from Iowa

Hello.

I am in the middle of Iowa, where the farms are. And you know what comes with farms... Barns. And what do you find in barns? Old engines.

You know the old farmers that always pack-ratted everything away. Well, lucky for all of us collectors here, alot of it is still around. Even more lucky, we are in the heart of it.

I mostly have Briggs and Stratton engines. I have others, though, too. All of this was non-running when I got it. But, that is all the fun of it, anyway, fixing it. Here is what I have so far...

Briggs Y
Briggs 5S
Briggs 6S
Jacobsen J150 (?)
Evinrude Sportwin from 1943 (Needs new coil)

I am planning to use the J150 on a bike for a motorbicycle. I will have to get a new connecting rod or fix the one I have. I have access to a mill, so I may be able to fix it. It is solid cast bronze. But, if anybody has one, I could use it. The bicycle I will use is a Columbia from the 1960's some time. The DOT guys are reasonable around here. I hope to get it registered as a Moped. I am lucky, they don't have the 50cc law here, so I can use what I want within reason.

My dad has two factory built Whizzer Motorbikes with H engines. Both run okay. We are rebuilding them, though, they look like they should have been rebuilt a long time ago. We opened one of them up and found two teeth broken off at the bottom. One tooth was broken off the cam gear. No second tooth was broken off. Who left that there? It looks like the other one had the rod break at one time. Somebody fixed it with those aluminum welding rods, though, so it is still sort of in shape.

I repair tube radios, also. I must have at least a dozen of those old things. Only a couple have I got to fixing, though. I fix them for antique stores and can make a bit of money from it. My best radio is a Philco 96 made in 1930. It has 9 tubes and push-pull outputs. The speaker is made of canvas.

I am in high school. There aren't too many people my age into any of the old stuff. All they have is their video games... ick. I hate those games. I have not touched one for a long time, nor do I ever intend to again.

But, I figured you ought to introduce myself before I went much further.

Thanks,
Brian
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Barn Bikes For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 12:39:19 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: New guy from Iowa

Welcome Brian, sounds like you're well on your way to a rewarding hobby. I feel you've found The Best forum for this hobby. The people on here are great, and very helpful for anything that comes along.
Enjoy. Mark
Old 01-01-2011, 01:48:49 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,553 Times in 596 Posts

welcome Brian !!! i live in northwest missouri and you are right there are lot's of hidden treasures in old barns ,chicken houses , etc .... you are now on the best engine site there is lots of info and dam good people willing to help you in your quest .... if you ever get near st joseph only 10 miles away or kansas city look me up i will give you a tour.......john
Old 01-01-2011, 02:19:27 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts
Exclamation Re: New guy from Iowa

BarnBikes, carefully check the crank as well as the cam. The other tooth might have come off the crank. The only other reason for the extra tooth would be that the cam was already replaced, and the repair people did not make sure the crank was free of debris (the tooth) When the engine was turned over the old tooth stuck in the gear, broke off the tooth from the new gear.
Andrew
Old 01-01-2011, 05:36:29 PM
Subscriber

Welcome Brian, and Happy New Year ! Glad to have you on the Forum. I'm pretty new here myself. Lot's of really great people here. Now, Get some pictures posted
Old 01-01-2011, 06:03:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,815 Times in 931 Posts

Welcome on Stak Brian!

Craig
Banting - Greyhound farm machinery historian
Old 01-01-2011, 06:43:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts

Brian:

I'm not sure you know what you've gotten yourself into. This hobby becomes an obsession, sometimes taking precedent over girls!

Welcome anyway!

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand
Old 01-01-2011, 08:43:28 PM
Registered-III

I started in this hobby when I was in high school also, it was helping my uncle haul engines to shows and home again. It was alot of work but fun seeing people amazed at what we had to show...
Old 01-01-2011, 10:17:00 PM
Registered-I

I am sure the tooth didn't come off the cam. It has all the teeth there. The crank has been replaced once before, though. It has rollers instead of plain as it once was. Looks like we just had a lazy repairman. Thanks for the thought.

Thanks for the welcomes, everybody. I will get some pictures as soon as I can go outside without freezing. I have been poking around the site before, I figured I might as well get in on things. I have been to the Antique Acres show in Cedar Falls (only 10 miles away or so) and the Old Threshers Reunion in Mt. Pleasant.

But, pics once it is warm enough.

Brian
Old 01-04-2011, 06:08:50 PM
Registered-I

Okay, I have some pics. But I will have to develop them first. No digital here...
Old 01-15-2011, 09:57:35 AM
In Memory OF

Welcome ,Brian, to the best antique site in the world. (literally speaking) This site puts you in the best place to meet great people who are willing to help with anything old and maybe a little greasy. I have not seen any problem here that didn't find reasonable and sensable resolution. Thanks HARRY and CREW.
WAlt