Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

Adding an inline electric fuel pump

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2968 times

Old 01-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Registered-I

Default Adding an inline electric fuel pump

I have a 1938 Dodge D8 coupe that has always been tough to start after it has been parked. I purchased an inline electric 6 volt fuel pump that I would like to use as a booster to prime the carb and still keep the mechanical pump in place.

I have read in some cases that you can just place the electric fuel pump in line and use a push button switch to activate the pump temporarily. Once the car has started then the mechanical pump is able to draw fuel through it you no longer push in the switch. That seems like it would put additional strain on the mechanical pump, if it even would work at all.

With that in mind, I would be interested in hearing from others on the best way to plumb this into the line?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,589 Times in 491 Posts
Default Re: Adding an inline electric fuel pump

If it's a pulsating diaphram pump it has check valves just like the mechanical pump. If the mechanical can pull fuel through it's own checks it should be able to pull it through the electric also, but it will slow down the volume. It would be able to push it through more efficently, but this would put the pump in a more conspicuous place. A tee in the line between the orginal pump and carb would allow the electric pump to charge the system agaqinst the mechanicals checks but would require more plumbing, 3/16" line would work. I would try it inline at the back first, you can run a volume test after to see how much fuel it pumps.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.B. Castagnos:
Old 01-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Registered-III

We did something on our Case loader that might work for you. The fuel tank on our loader is lower than the diesel engine and the fuel would flow back to the tank when it set for a few days. We mounted a fuel pump off a Ford V8 with the arm out in the open. Now when we start the loader, we give the pump a few pulls and it builds pressure in the injection pump. When the engine is running, it pulls fuel through the Ford pump. It can't build up too much pressure because the spring inside the pump is what pumps the fuel.
The Following User Says Thank You to heins:
Old 01-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Registered-III

If it's a diaphram pump like said, shouldn't have problems (diaphram pumps go tick-tick-tick-tick normally), but in worst case, you can leave the pump on while running the car. The new ethanol fuels, while not quite deserving of the other hatred it gets, is certainly more prone to vapor lock. Having a electric pump as CLOSE to the tank as you can get, is best. Which means put it as close to the tank as you can make it!

Robert
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto:
Old 01-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,827 Times in 2,468 Posts
Exclamation Re: Adding an inline electric fuel pump

one thing you must watch is outlet pressure of the electric pump. Too much pressure may damage the rubbre mechanical pump diaphram. The new E-10 crap fuel will also degrade the diaphram, making it suseptable to breakage. The electric pump should deliver no more than 2 or 3 PSI to the mechanical pump. a good auto supply should have regulators to limit fuel pressure.
Andrew.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey:
Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Registered-I

electric fuel pumps, you could get a one of the electro mechanical type about the size of pac cigarettes as mention-by Robert mount as close to the fuel tank as posable and it will prime the fuel system pump work better pushing than sucking and they only pump and cut out when carburettor is full
The Following User Says Thank You to oldtom:
Old 01-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Registered-I

I really appreciate all of the prompt responses. I am planning to install the electric pump back by the tank and use a tee fitting to plumb it in. All I need now is another delightful break in the weather like we just had to head out to the shop.