Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Mobile Home Metal Frame Trailers

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 5067 times

Old 01-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered-II

Default Mobile Home Metal Frame Trailers

i am needing some ideas for trailers built from mobile home frames. i have some from where we tore down a trailer. i intend to build these and sell them as i own a shop in GA. havent decided wether i am gonna get truck axles or if i am going to get all new DEXTER Axles with the 3yr warrenty.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Mobile Home Metal Frame Trailers

You need to be very careful about building trailers from that metal. It is not intended to be used for that much activity and you could run into liability issues. It is usuallly cheaper to buy trailers now than to build them. That is what I found out last time I needed one for hauling my backhoe.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Registered-III

I second the earlier opinion. The frames of mobil homes are brittle steel. Had a brother in law that made a farm trailer out of one. Had cracks in the frame as a constant problem. He junked it and bought a real trailer
Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,593 Times in 505 Posts

Really depends on the frame in question. I have a trailer built out of an old mobile home (1950's) and it has the dropped axles and heavy bearings and takes a six lug wheel, not like the newer mobile homes. It has double jr I beam frame rails and I have used it for 20 years without any issues at all. But that was back when they built stuff to last...
Old 01-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Registered-II

ok thanks. i dont need my business getting sued over a trailer accident. this is a 1990s trailer house and the frame is lite. ill just scrap it.