Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

GM Electronic Service Information

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 4248 times

Old 01-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Subscriber

Default GM Electronic Service Information

Bought the above service manual on CD from an ebay seller with a good feedback rating. It was supposed to cover vehicles from bumper to bumper, however, I was able to see only minimal info listed and nothing pertaining to "Service Airbag" message on our 2004 Malibu message center.

I had assumed I would be able to use the CD by simply installing it in my computer but apparently had to install a VMware Player that came with the CD. It appears the VMware Player isn't up to date and possibly why the expected manual contents aren't showing up. When I try to update the VMware Player I get a message "The Virtual Machine needs to have a Virtual CD/DVD Device to install WMware Tools".

I'm not familiar with VMware Player but is beginning to look like I might have to purchase an expensive software program to make use of this manual on CD. In that case I might as well have bought a paper version of a service manual.

Anyone have experience with VMware? My Kaspersky antivirus indicated it had detected a PDM Logger when I uninstalled it. Not sure what that is either but must be some kind of problem if it was mentioned?

Bill
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: GM Electronic Service Information

You probably got ripped. The service manual for one car wouldn't fit on a CD anymore, and sometimes they don't even publish books at all-one car would take up a whole shelf in every model year. You most likely will need a factory compatible scan tool to access airbag diagnostic info

this is a list of OEM service info websites, for a fee, you can access your cars manuals here and see everything the dealer sees.....

good luck!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:47 PM

Thanked 14,550 Times in 4,494 Posts

Not that it really matters but is it a CD or a DVD?
It's not at all unusual to use higher means of compression to minimize file sizes.
Some are proprietary and some are not.
I don't believe the Vmplayer with which you are dealing is.
Try that>>>>> http://www.google.com/search?client=...hannel=suggest
Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I should have looked at the disk a little closer, it is a PC DVD-ROM. Not that makes any difference to my computer at the moment as haven't been able to access the info it's supposed to contain.

Maybe I should have got a little suspicious when I printed the installation instructions before I tried to install the disk. It said if you get a porompt about "Removable Devices" select "Do not show this hint again" and click "OK".

If you get another prompt about "Software Updates" select "Always do the same action" and click "Do Not Download"

When you see the "Blue - OS/2 WARP - IBM" boot screen, the database is loading. *Note: If you see a bar at the bottom of the screen about "not up to date", click "Never Remind Me".

I would imagine a legit software program would expect you to update to the latest version??

I notice the DVD was designed for Windows XP but is stamped compatable with Windows 7. My new computer uses Windows 7 ( a retrograde step to Windows XP as far as I'm concerned) so maybe that's why I'm unable to access the info the disk is supposed to contain?? Or is the VMware software a pirated older version hence the notations "Do Not Download" etc.?

I checked the link Craig provided but looks like it's slated towards a business/commercial use judging by the information you are requested to supply, so I would have to do a lot of fudging. It's also just a 60 day free trial so imagine if I wanted to use it after that would be a substantial cost involved even if I could get the trial version.

I'm waiting to hear back from the ebay seller to see what he has to say. He couldn't understand why I couldn't access the info or print from the program when I first contacted him through ebay.

Bill
Old 01-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Subscriber

Well, I solved the problem with the electronic manual on DVD. Purchased a 2 volume paper manual set on ebay from another seller. Should have done that in the first place!

Bill
Old 01-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Registered

Bill,
Yeah, you bought a bootleg. I'm familiar with it.
VMware means Virtual Machine software.
You can download the latest VMware player on their website (sign up), it will want to update the tools on the Virtual Desktop. (add a virtual cd drive with the new VMplayer)
The bootleg uses Win XP Pro which does not connect to the internet so updates and AV are not needed. Though you can add firefox but IE will still load on its own.
The xp desktop uses YASU and Daemon tools to mount the cd and bypass Safedisc.
It also uses startup killer to kill the windows start button and mask the windows load screen with something else. Startup killer can be killed with the taks manager then you can uninstall it.
Basically someone made a virtual desktop with all of that pre setup so others wouldn't be troubled.

You can buy the latest GM Service Information DVD at helm Inc for $400 dollars. It contains exactly everything you get in 1 shop manual except it contains every shop manual for every GM vehicle from 1998 until the date it was released. Rather pointless to pay $140 or so dollar paper shop manuals for one platform.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sherlock View Post
I had assumed I would be able to use the CD by simply installing it in my computer but apparently had to install a VMware Player that came with the CD. It appears the VMware Player isn't up to date and possibly why the expected manual contents aren't showing up. When I try to update the VMware Player I get a message "The Virtual Machine needs to have a Virtual CD/DVD Device to install WMware Tools".
I forgot to specify, you don't need to update the tools if you dont want too. The Icon to load GM SI takes some time to load on the virtual desktop because GM SI temporarily installs on the fly from a dvd (which is emulated). You just have to give it time to load.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Registered-I

If you have a lot of miles on your car usually what happens are the wires in the steering column wear through or the conductors in them break from constant flexing.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,439 Times in 908 Posts

I would be contacting * bay about a refund- selling bootleg is illegal. Bet Helm or whoever the legit publisher is would like to know about that guy. Copyright infringement.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

PS - Bill watch your A** with airbag stuff. Be sure to disconnect battery and go thru airbag system discharge proceedure. Mechanics have been killed from bags going off in their face.
Besides, if it discharged and you were not hurt, it will cost almost as much as the car is worth to buy a new one.