Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Greetings From East Central Indiana

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1429 times

Old 01-21-2011, 11:56:52 PM
Registered-I

Default Greetings From East Central Indiana

After being told about the Smokestak Website from a few close friends of mine that are assocaited with steam engines, older tractors, hit and miss engines, etc. and are perhaps members here I wanted to join mostly to read and learn about the various types of farm machinery that everyone collects and takes to display at various farm equipment shows. I caught that bug about three years ago and I guess it's something that I'll probably be involved with for the rest of my life.

Anyhow, I currently just own one tractor which is a 1952 Ford 8N. I get teased all the time that the Ford N series tractor isn't really a tractor, but it works for me. Also, I'm in the process of saving the money to purchase a John Deere 630 Wide Front two cylinder John Deere tractor, and saving aluminum cans is one way that I am working toward this endeavor. Which if I might add several folks from our steam engine club have been helping me along the way.

I look forward to reading and learning more about everyone's preferred choice of farm equipment, and about the various experiences that each of you have attending the various farm machinery shows that take place around our great nation each year. Last but not least I hope to meet some of you at a farm equipment show sometime.

~Bryan Johnson

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2011, 12:14:29 AM

Thanked 11,669 Times in 3,589 Posts
Default Re: Greetings From East Central Indiana

Bryan,

Welcome to Stak. I know you'll enjoy yourself....it is addictive too!!!

If you like steam, come on over to my forum-STEAM!!! You'll be reading for days!

Come on up to National Threshers in Wauseon, OH that last weekend of June and you'll see even more! The News are always about and plan to bring their Gaar Scott portable. Sam Ertel will be around and about with his Gaar Scott collection too. You'll feel right at home!

Beth
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 01-22-2011, 12:56:02 AM
Registered-I

Thank you for the warm welcome Beth! I will be sure to check out your forum. Also, some of the names that you have mentioned I know that I have at least heard of Sam Ertel, and the News. I do somewhat know Andy New, and was thinking that they do have a Gaar Scott. However, I am not sure if I am correct on that.

I would like to make it to the, "National Threshers in Wauseon, OH" in June. I'll have to wait closer to that time to see what my schedule and finances are like. However, I am sure that you guys have a great event and a great turn out too.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:23:12 AM

Thanked 11,669 Times in 3,589 Posts

Bryan,

Yes, the News have one of the oldest Gaar portables. It has a wrought iron boiler. They debuted the Aultman Star at Wauseon for the Aultman feature. Neat engine, but one that can make you seasick!....they've also brought their Kitten and the Kitten separator...and the Russell tractor....Andy runs my 24 hp Port Huron for me also. He does a mean spark show with it too!

You'll find that the steam gang can be gypsys...meeting every weekend somewhere with our engines. NTA begins the season and then on to Greenville, then Charleton Park, Mason, Findlay or Rushville (same weekend), then on to LaGrange, IN; Buckley, LOTS of choices for Labor Day weekend (Hesston, Pontiac, Mt Pleasant, Rollag, Rock River, and beyond); then Wellington.......

Beth
Old 01-22-2011, 06:48:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,815 Times in 931 Posts

Welcome to the stak!
There are always interesting on any forums.
Here are my thread forum.....

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52900

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49305
Old 01-22-2011, 08:19:23 PM
Registered-I

Beth,
It sounds like you all have a great time at the various events that you all attend. I have a lot to learn when it comes to steam engines that is for sure. I still haven't learned all of the makes and models to be honest with you. The only event that I can personally say that I have ever attended out of the different locations that you have listed is Rushville.

I spent most of the day today there at our club's grounds helping out on the line shaft building. Dale and Mark did 95% of the work though, that I will have to admit.

More importantly though I have seen Andy operate a steam engine three or four times and he is a great steam engine operator to say the least.

I hope to be able to attend more steam engine events in the future and meet more people that own and operate them. What little that I do know about steam engines (which again isn't much) I have learned from Brian Vaughn and Tracy Porter.

From the antique tractor side of things Dale Sorber and Mark Dieckmann have both taught me a lot in regards to Allis Chalmers (especially Dale's favorite unstyled WC tractors) and Mark's being McCormick Deering - Farmall-IH.

I do love to view a great spark show. To me spark shows are really neat. I hope I get to meet you in person at a steam engine show someday soon.

Last but not least, thank you for welcoming here at SmokStak!
~Bryan

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Greysteam,
Thank you for welcoming here to SmokStak. Also I really enjoyed reading Greyhound gas tractors. I will have to do some more reading about them too! Again thanks for the welcome. I really do appreciate it!
~Bryan
Old 01-27-2011, 09:18:37 AM
Registered-I

Default Old Threshers come to Life !

I currently own a Hand Feed Waterloo Threshing Machine # 981 built in 1891, Waterloo Ont and it runs great ! Also own a Joseph Hall Thresher and 5 team Horse Power from the Charlie Batt estate , built in 1877 in Oshawa Ont. To be restored this year . Also own a Birdsell Clover Huller built around 1898 also from the Batt estate. Looking forward to displaying these fine machines this year. Lincoln Mueller
Old 01-27-2011, 09:36:43 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts
Default Re: Old Threshers come to Life !

Bryan:

Don't let Beth brainwash you with steam! Look into the I.H.C.C.A., the Intergalactic Hoyt-Clagwell Collector's Association.

Dedicated to the Hoyt-Clagwell fine line of "Dependable Tractors, Mostly", we have, so far, held one meet for our group at an event in Kentucky and had perfect attendance. Both of us were there!

Butt-Buggy owners UNITE! Help stamp out those smoky steamers with our irritating little tractors!

All in fun! Welcome to the Stak!

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand
Old 01-30-2011, 05:01:41 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Old Threshers come to Life !

Thanks for the welcome Elden. The, "I.H.C.C.A." seems to be a very interesting group. :-) I like many sectors of older farm machinery myself, steam powered equipment, hit and miss engines, all fuel tractors, etc. I hope to be able to make more shows this year to see more machinery, but more importantly to meet more great people like yourself! Again thanks for the welcome!

~Bryan