Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Jeta Power 15KW Generator Model MD-151815-WA

this thread has 55 replies and has been viewed 7238 times

Old 02-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Registered-I

Default Jeta Power 15KW Generator Model MD-151815-WA

I recently aquired a Jeta Power 15kw diesel generator. It starts and runs fine. I have to give it a shot of ether right now since it's 15 degrees outside. It has a 12 wire generator.

I would like to use it as backup power for my home and plan to mount it on a slab and connect it to a transfer switch. Measuring with a Digital VOM, It puts out 120v from L1, L2, L3 to L0 and across any of the 3 hot leads; 208v. On the outside, someone has even added, a 220V 50A outlet. I have a KillaWatt meter and with it plugged into the 120V outlet, it shows 60HZ give or take a half HZ. So far so good. I even get 24vdc out of another socket labeled 24vdc.

I want to know everything I can find out on this unit. I want to make sure the generator is wired properly and that I'm getting as much power out of the unit as possible for single phase since it's a 3phase unit. Plans, when it warms up, is to take it apart, renew all the external wiring, clean relay contacts, service the engine such as cleaning the injectors, fuel tank, etc. fix the broken meters and basically, just fix it up real nice.

I would like to find manuals for it and learn how to properly wire it for single phase. It may already be wired properly but I don't know without asking around and comparing it with expert advise. There is a connection panel with several large jumper bars and from reading one post, a guy (Mitch) said there is a "Mod" that has to be done to the bars to properly connect it for single phase but he didn't elaborate exactly how. There are a few other posts from 3 years ago in this forum about the same generator I have but it has not had any activity for 3 years or so which is why I'm starting this thread.

Here are specifics:
JETAPOWER
KW 15/12.5
KVA 18.75/15.6
Volts 120/208 - 240/416-120
Amps 52/26-43.4/21.7-90.5
Freq 60/50
RPM 1800/1500
PF .8
Wire 4-3
PH 3
Temp Rise Arm 75C FLD 95C
Model Number: MD-151815-WA
Serial Number 700-478

After running the unit I verifed the hour meter is working. It shows only 423 hours total time. I hope it's true, if so, this unit has pretty low hours.

I have included a few pictures as well. Inside the generator is a detailed wiring diagram that shoud be very helpful in figuring this all out

I have googled this unit and haven't found too much except for the old posts in this forum. Any help from you experts would be greatly honored.

Kelly
Attached Thumbnails
Inside of Engine.jpg   Model Number Tag.jpg   US Army Corp Of Engineers Tag.jpg   Various 027.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Jeta Power 15KW Generator Model MD-151815-WA

Looks like the predecessor to the MEP-004 generator set. An older version of the Hercules 198 engine, and very similar specifications.

I have some spare parts for this unit probably, PM me if you need something.

As to conversion, I'd recommend just pulling two of the three phases, the results will be similar (you will get 208 volts instead of 240, but that's not an issue except for a few things like motors and such). Using two phases will allow the original metering and control circuits to work correctly.

The mod that someone mentioned may not work on this old of a set (it was developed for the MEP-004/005 sets) but I do have a switch board and will see if it looks similar or not. Feel free to poke me in a few days if I don't get back on it however.
The Following User Says Thank You to nehog:
Old 02-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Registered-II

thats a (military) mb series gen. 60s vintage d198 herk. engine. theirs a write up (recent) with detail info. and pictures. of this mod. for 120/240 single phase over at steel solders. it will derate your set to about 11 kw.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Kinler:
Old 02-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Registered-I

Thanks for the reply. I will definately keep you in mind once I get started working on it. I just got it home Monday, and we are in a blizzard right now and it's just sitting outside waiting for me to start working on it. I keep reading about a Low Zigzag connection, have studied it and I'm sure I can figure out how to hook it up that way but then there is mention that the voltage regulator monitors the voltage of phase 3. Have you seen any of these threads, they are what has me thinking:

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43562
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19169

My main interest is getting as much power out of this as possible.Jim, thanks for the info, I'm at Steel Soldiers now trying to find it
If you can help me find the information, I would sure appreciate it. I've tried several search terms and get no hits at all

Nehog, thanks for the offer. I'm still learning this forum and I think I replied in the wrong place. I'm very electrical and electronicly minded, so If I have to do major rewiring to this unit, I'm game. I just want to get as much out of it as possible as I have an all electric home and plan to try to heat it if there is a power outage. My furnace has two breakers so I'm pretty sure it works in stages and each stage is around 30 amps or so. If I only run one stage it might work.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 PM

Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,125 Posts
Talking Re: Jeta Power 15KW Generator Model MD-151815-WA

I think you would be better off using a Double Delta to make your 120/240 Vac Single Phase.... on your 12 wire Genend.... YMMV
Old 02-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Registered-II

the thread is at bottom of the first page under auxillary equipment. it is titled ( how much single phase 120/240 can i get out of a mep-006 also load bank ) look at post 22 by ken_86gt .
i have a 004 and have not done it yet dont know if i wont to derate. i can dial it up to 125/215 which is close and i was going to use that 3rd leg to power some other things.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Registered-I

I want whatever will get me the most KW out of the unit. I attached a picture I found online. Is the first diagram what you mean by "double delta" ? What are the pro's and cons of the Double Delta compared to the Zigzag in the second diagram?
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring Diagram 1 Phase.JPG  
Old 02-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kinler View Post
the thread is at bottom of the first page under auxillary equipment. it is titled ( how much single phase 120/240 can i get out of a mep-006 also load bank ) look at post 22 by ken_86gt .
i have a 004 and have not done it yet dont know if i wont to derate. i can dial it up to 125/215 which is close and i was going to use that 3rd leg to power some other things.
Jim, thanks! I finally found it. I ended up here:
http://www.anoldman.com/modules.php?...article&sid=21

I'm gonna read all this and compare to my setup as soon as the weather clears. I got the unit home right before a blizzard hit and left it outside in case I needed to run it. It's supposed to be below zero tonight. Now, I need to get it inside my 30x40 shop and start the fun process of working on it. At least it's above freezing in the shop...
Old 02-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Subscriber

The most you can handle is three 5 KW stages full load with nothing to spare if you are running 240 three phase. If you stay with 120/208 three phase your 5 KW stages will draw 3.755 KW each for a total of 11.265 KW for heat leaving the balance for lighting etc. If you reconnect for single Phase you will probably give up 5 KW right off the bat. If you only have two 5 KW stages I would consider adding a third stage to use only on the generator. If you have room in your air handler maybe 3 stages added for generator use only, then you could trim them to 4 or so KW on 208 leaving you 3 KW give or take for other loads. A three pole contactor with 24 volt coil would handle the thermostat output, I think you could do without a sequencer. Lloyd H

Last edited by Lloyd H; 02-02-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Registered-II

IMHO, the only advantage of going to the various single phase hookups is the ability to get 240 volts instead of 208 volts. The amount of power you'll get is basically the same as using two of the three phases, and with three phase, you can use that third phase to power a number of additional 120 volt loads (which is what I do--I have a transfer setup that divides the three phases over six backup circuits).

To the OP, can you post a picture of the other side of the engine? I'd like to see how that engine is configured over there as well...
Old 02-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Registered-I

Here is some more pictures of the unit. It's so cold outside (10 deg) my camera kept kicking out. I couldn't resist trying to start the thing and after cranking it until good white smoke was coming out I shot a bit of ether in to the breather and it kicked a bit. I had to give it another shot and it started. So, I tried running a 110v 2 hp air compressor and it kept kicking the breaker in the control panel. I hooked a pair of 1500 watt heaters and it at least ran those. Maybe the breaker is weak. I am already envisioning removing the jumper panel and hard wiring the thing for either the double delta or zigzag. I may have to move the exciter coils around so they are sensing the right circuit. I really just want to be able to hook it to a normal transfer switch mounted on my utility pole without having to wire up a bunch of extra circuits. I don't plan on ever needing three phase, just hoping to get 240v to my breaker panel when my main power goes out. And, I would like to find manuals on it.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0153.jpg   Inside of Engine 1.jpg   DSCN0155.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to rcpilot:
Old 02-03-2011, 11:10 PM
Subscriber

Sounds like a good plan, just remember the engine is good for at least 15 KW and the generator is only good for 10 KW single phase ie. you have plenty prime mover to smoke the alternator, watch your loading and you'll be fine Lloyd H
Old 02-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Registered-II

OK, a generation older than I expected, but I still may have some parts if you need them. Yours uses a generator and not an alternator for battery charging it seems (the alternator was a large pancake unit, visually very distinctive). Also the strapping for voltages/phases is very different too...

It almost appears that you have the ability to either create three phase 120 only (delta?) or perhaps single phase. It is not totally clear from the diagram that I see in your picture. The conversion to a zig-zag wiring setup would have to be totally custom (IMHO) because the various instructions assume a MEP-004/MEP-005 selector board, which is very different from what you have.
The Following User Says Thank You to nehog:
Old 02-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Registered-I

Nehog, thanks for the hope in finding some parts for it. I have included two more pictures of the wiring diagram. I took these two pictures at high res, cropped out the diagram and then inverted the colors so it would show up better. They are still hard to read. But I have to make them small enough for the site so they probably won't be of much use. I can email the originals to anyone that wants to look at them. The resolution of the originals is high and they can be zoomed in on to see the wiring rather well. As I read more about wiring these up it seems like the double delta is the most balanced method of wiring it for single phase 240 volt power. I'm open for pros and cons of it compared to zigzag. I'm sure this will be an all summer project getting it restored, wired up, mounted and connected to the house. I really hope someone will see the thread with manuals. You mention that the straps are different than others. I'm considering stripping all that off, hard wiring it for whatever the final concensus is whether it's zigzag or double delta. I can build my own terminal setup and might get a bit more out of it simply by removing all the excess wiring. I think the main breaker might be weak as it kept tripping when I tried to start a 120v 2 hp air compressor. I realize the compressor draws around 3 times more of the running current when starting so maybe it simply exceeded the breaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiring Diagram 2.jpg   Wiring Diagram3.JPG  
Old 02-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Registered-II

This might be easier than I realized. I went out and looked at the bits and pieces of the generator stuff I have and though the connection panel to set voltage and phases is visually very different from yours (square, not long and thin) it appears it may have been wired the same way. If that is the case, and yours actually is like the one I have here, then it can produce 120/240 single phase just by putting the connect boards in the right positions.

I'll look at your images, and see if I can make heads or tails of them. My board was removed from the generator set by someone else, so I don't know where all the wires went, but I might be able to work it out. Let's see what happens

Could you send me those pictures as images in a PM? Seems I can't save them as they are and I need to enlage them.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Registered-I

Sure, I will give it a try. Also, my email is rcpilot_at_rollanet.org substitute an @ for the _at_ if you want to share yours with me and as I progress with this project maybe we can share notes, etc.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered-II

Location: Auburn, CA. in the Sierra-Nevada Foothills on the way to Reno

rcpilot: I only have the parts manual for your plant and if you are interested in purchasing a copy, please send me a PM.
Thanks, Don
Old 02-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Registered-I

NeHog, have you had any time in the last few weeks to poke around your Generators? It was nice out today so I spent the entire afternoon pressure washing the inside of mine out (many mud dobbers and bird nests) and am starting to think about how to wire this thing for 120/240 single phase. From what I read, I think I understand the exiter coils may have to be moved to other stator widings after all this so it puts out properly. I ran it for about an hour today, I guess just to hear it run and charge the batteries. It also helped to dry it out. The fuel tank has a few leaks in the top where some solder connections are broken, looks easy enough to fix. This thing has an Oil heater on it that heats the oil pan and the battery box. I think I will try to get it working for cold weather starting. Also, in the bottom of the battery box is a 300 watt electric heater pad. It's made of red rubber with two wires going to it. Looks like it runs on 24 volts.

Here are some links to HI Res pictures of the wiring diagram. The first is the actual picture as it is on the genset. I inverted the colors on the last two so the wires show up black instead of white.

http://ozarkmountaintechnologies.com/ebay/diagram1.jpg
http://ozarkmountaintechnologies.com/ebay/diagram2.jpg
http://ozarkmountaintechnologies.com/ebay/diagram3.jpg

I'm open for ideas how to make this put out normal house current as the plan is to connect to my home with a transfer switch for E-Backup power.

I would rather spend the whole summer fixing it up and get the 120/240 volts out of it instead of the 120/208 three phase it can do right now.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Registered-II

Have you tried strapping it for the 120 volt three wire configuration, and measuring the voltages on the three output lugs?

I dug into the parts I have here for the model that came after yours. There were just enough changes since that I can't quite figure out what wire is what (your set has more logically marked wires, mine are not logical!) but they appear to be similar in how they are strapped. (My board appears to have the two pieces like yours, but are arranged differently...)

I'd start with the 120 volt three wire setup, and see if you in fact have 240 between the two live wires, and 120 to neutral from each live wire. I'd be very surprised if you didn't...

Now if someone could come up with manuals for a SF-15-MD genset, that may clear things up a bit. (These were made in the mid to late 1960s.)
Old 02-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Registered-I

Good Idea, gotta start somewhere. I will do that tonight and report back