Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Horse Drawn Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Horse Drawn Equipment Old iron designed for the purpose of hitching up to a horse or a team. This old iron machinery may be used or demonstrated while hooked to an old iron tractor too.

Horse Drawn Equipment

Horse drawn snow plow? Manure spreader?

Is there such a thing as a horse drawn snow plow? Because I have horses, and I have a lot of snow,...

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 5945 times

Old 02-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Registered-I

Default Horse drawn snow plow? Manure spreader?

Is there such a thing as a horse drawn snow plow? Because I have horses, and I have a lot of snow, and it's tough to get people to move it for me! Also, it would be just sweet justice if I could get them to spread their own manure. Is it feasible to find an old horse drawn ground driven manure spreader out there? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2011, 12:20 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Horse drawn snow plow? Manure spreader?

I've seen pix of horse powered snow plow but can't remember where. They were set up with the plow ahead of the horses similar to a few binders and the hay forks that were used to stack loose hay. Another possiblity is a horse drawn road grader, there is one in my neighborhood as yard art and I've seen a few in the last few years pulled by a tractor for grading private roads. As far as a horse drawn spreader, they show up on craigs list with some regularity. Also possible to use a tractor pull ground driven by putting a set of wheels under the front.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,335 Times in 2,648 Posts

Depending on how creative you are....

You could find or build a horsepower treadmill, mount it on a friction drive chassis, or with a trasmission so you can gear down the ground speed even more, & make a SNOW BLOWER, "Rube Goldberg" style.

That would make one heck of a u-tube video.

Old manure spreaders are out there, but most anything you find would need a complete rebuild to make it usable again. Been a few of them scrapped locally when the prices went up again a couple years ago.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Registered-III

There's a good article in the current Small Farmer's Journal about a snow scoop, complete with enough dimensions and drawings to build one.... well worth the price of the magazine and especially if you are working with horses. www.smallfarmersjournal.com

Horsedrawn spreaders aren't that tough to find, and usually not too pricey. They'll probably need a bit of rework, but they hold their value when kept up.

JH
Old 02-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Registered-I

We used to use a V-plow with the horses. Stand 2 wide, heavy planks on edge and brace them forming a V that is 8 - 12 feet wide at the open end and 12 or 14 inches high. Put a platform on top for the driver to stand (and for additional weight to hold the rig down), hitch the horses to the point of the V and off you go. Not so good for big snowfalls, but moves 4-8 inches pretty effectively. Home-made and handy.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,088 Times in 249 Posts

here's one
Attached Thumbnails
horse drawn snow plow.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to David Hoover:
Old 02-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Registered-I

I have used a road grader to plow my driveway before when my tractor had caught fire. It worked OK, I had the blade turned as sharp as I could to keep the weight down for the two Fjords that I had. Once I got started it was great. The problem I ran into was once I had a bank built up I didn't have enough weight with the grader to push it and the snow just slid the grader over. I know my wife took pictures I will see if I can find one.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Registered-III

Tom pretty well said it...simple and effective. Dad used an A-frame that was about 3 planks high (2 X 10's ?). A hefty team of draft horses moved it pretty well over gravel or grass (be careful on pavement).

For a first pass around the barnyard and down the lane, the whippletree was set low so the plow would ride up a little and Dad walked behind...taking the the top 10 - 14 inches of snow.

If a second pass was needed for drifts or deeper snow, raise the eveners and ride on the bracing in the A-frame.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Registered

Locally (zip code 24588) have a 1928 New Idea 4-steel wheel manure spreader that has been used as tractor drawn and barn stored until the last couple years. Seat's still on it, looks like it all works, lot of the original paint on it. Guy's wanting $700 or trade for firearms !
Old 02-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Registered-I

Being located in Iowa, go to the waverly midwest horse sale March 22 or Kalona sale in April and buy all the spreaders you want. Also might even find a snow plow or roller at these sales.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Registered-III

look up owensborow ditcher and grader co. owensborrow ky.
they made a reversable ditcher/grader called the martin, that worked very good as a snow plow, i followed the ditcher as close as i could and made one for use on the farm, it is still behind my house, it wooks very well! and closes up for easy storage.
Attached Thumbnails
BETTER-DITCH-2.jpg  
Old 03-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Registered

The V-plow can work pretty well in clearing out driveways etc but more challenging with the more intricate stuff. Here's a link with pics of a friend's V-plow he uses behind his HD forecart.

www.picasaweb.google.com/mulemandonn/SnowPlow09#

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

That Martin ditcher is awesome - they have one at Tiller's International in Kalamazoo and we used it to .... redig the ditches. Very cool. Never knew there was a "seat" - we just stood on the main beam and shifted our weight to "fine tune" our grading. Without a seat it's a 2 person job.

Thanks trowel.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Registered-III

you're welcome, there were many types made under the martin name, this one is a very useful, and compact tool, i will pull out the one i made next year, and re-dig the ditches. i drew up plans to make a slightly bigger one with replacable cutting edge, but got busy with life. maybe someday i'll bring it to a plow show.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Registered-III

i figured why not, the way gas is going up i may not be able to show my grader/dither, so here it is, all hand made from drawing,
Attached Thumbnails
S5000329.JPG   S5000330.JPG   S5000331.JPG  
The Following User Says Thank You to trowel:
Old 04-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Registered-III

i only use it every 5 years, so i re-paint it every 5 years, i will use it this year,
trowel
The Following User Says Thank You to trowel:
Old 07-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Registered-I

Wow guys, thanks for all the replies! Not sure why I checked out, maybe I thought I was going to get alerted in email and thought I had no replies. I am back asking different questions, and I am reading all of your posts. Thanks much!!