Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel Engines

Continental Diesel

CONTINENTAL DIESEL Can anyone here help? I was given an OLD continental diesel engine. Its red,...

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 3103 times

Old 02-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Registered

Default Continental Diesel

CONTINENTAL DIESEL
Can anyone here help? I was given an OLD continental diesel engine. Its red, with chrome molley stamped in the block and both heads. The tas is against a wall and I cant get a good look at it. It is a metering fuel pump similar to the ambac used on the LDT465 but the lines come out of the back instead of the top. The injectors are in the side of the head @ a 90deg angle. There also is a tag that says red seal on it. Is this thing woth keeping or is it woth more for scrap? I have never seen this and cant find it on the web any where.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: continental diesel

O. K. Is this a 4 or 6 cylinder engine? Judging by where said the injectors are it has a Lanova combustion chamber which Continental used for years. I would say it has a Roosa Master Injection pump. Need more information. Do you think it is military surplus? When I was in the army we had some generator sets that the engines were either 602 or 802 cubic inch displacement (don't remember which. They also made some small engines of less than 150 cubic inches.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Continental Diesel

Cont'l made a number of diesels; can you get a little mirror on a stick to read any part of the tag??
Only specs/info I have is one page in an old Thompson 1950/51?? "manual". Poor illus seems to show lines from rear of a pump, inj's at 90 degrees under a water pipe, rear inj's buried under something round and two large oil filters on a shelf bracket (diesels are not my thing, as you can tell). Illus not ID'd;design could be typical of all Cont diesels.
Page covers KD6330, RD6572, TD6427, lists Bosch PSA, APE, Excello KB,KD,KF pumps.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Registered-III

Bud: That is an interesting statement about those injection pumps!.The Bosch PSA was listed on the HD 4 cylinder diesels as used in the M-H 44 diesel tractors right after World War 2. However Bosch had problems with the PSA pumps and they were taken off the market and later replaced by the Bosch PSB pump. Those fuel lines on a PSB all go out the top of the pump in a circle. I think the Army engines were SD 802 engines. The 350 Farmall diesel were a GD (D for diesel) 193 engine. I also had a call once on a ZD Continental diesel. The Z engines are the little engines in the Ferguson tractors.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Registered

Default Re: continental diesel

ITS A HUGE 6 CYLINDER. iM 6'5" AND STANDING NEXT TO IT, ITS ALMOST TO MY CHEST IN HEITH. IT HAS THREE OIL FILTERS, I THINK... THERE ARE 3 BIG CANS JUST LIKE THE MILITARY LDT ENGINES. IT WAS GOING TO BE USED AS A POWER UNIT FOR A SAW MILL ON A FARM IN THE 40'S OR 50'S FROM WHAT MY GRAND FATHER TOLD ME. THERE WAS A BELT DRIVE MILL THAT HAD A 6' BLADE ON IT. DONT KNOW IF THAT HELPS ANY. ILL TRY TO GET SOME #S OFF THE TAG WITH A MIRROR. THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO GAVE THEIR KNOWLEDGE. ILL TAKE ANY OF IT
Old 02-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Registered-III

John: Yes, looking at my illus with a mag'fyg glass lines do seem to come up out of top toward back of pump, and do make circles...
I did have an SD802 on my Cont'l list, which hadn't been in any of the 30+ catalogs I'd indexed so far, but just found it in a 67 Fel-Pro gasket catalog recently acquired but not yet indexed....
That same catalog also shows the ZD129 (the only ZD I list) that hadn't been in any of those 30+...unfortunately that catalog has no b/s/cid info.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Registered-I

I would be interested in a Manual for this engine. I have been working on a 1941 Whitcomb Locomotive that has one of these in it. I just recently rebuilt the injection pump, and have found ONE head gasket for it at Gasket City.
The motor is SD802.

I could used information for the head bolt torque flbs etc. Would be nice to have.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Registered-III

For gaskets there's gasgetstogo.com, a sponsor here (click on "sponsors" at top of page and scroll down) and olsonsgakets.com (Port orchard, WA).
For the manual, there's a .gov site with a lot of online military manuals; can't find my note, but should show up on Google. Also, for manual and/or parts, have you checked with saturnsurplus.com, steelsoldiers.com or other military eqpmt forums?? Granted, the mil version may not be exactly the same, but the mil manual should still be helpful...
Don't know if Whitcombs called Yard Locomotives or Switching Locomotives or something else, but should be some owners/enthususiasts groups on Google; if nothing comes up try Narcoa, the Railcar group.
Oh: can you advise the model and tonnage of your Whitcomb?/ Many thxx!! Bud
Old 03-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Registered-I

It's a Whitcomb 44 ton switching locomotive.
The motor is actually after market - they were originally built with a Hercules.
I'm 100% sure the headgasket is blown, I can literally see it.
The two links you posted aren't correct...I would like to make sure I'm not getting ripped with the gasket price of $75. I'm only replacing one gasket.

What was the name of a military truck or something that had a Continental motor?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Registered-III

Try thishttp://www.gasketstogo.com/
Old 03-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Registered-I

I found it at Olson for $125, which is ok.

Still no manual.