Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hot Air Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hot Air Engines Stirling engines, Rider-Ericsson and others.

Hot Air Engines

Lehmann M1867 model is back to life

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2989 times

Old 02-14-2011, 01:07 AM
Registered-I

Default Lehmann M1867 model is back to life

Enjoy the Lehmann model hot-air engine (possibly made by Hubertus Raab, Zeitz, Germany) now in restored and good running condition. Better image in hi-res? Check the "Engine-of-the-Month" on my homepage www.stirlingmaier.com. Sorry, no video.
Click image for larger version

Name:	0786-05x.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	100261
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Lehmann M1867 model is back to life

It is a beauty, Gerd. You have every right to be very proud of it. Good for you!

Best regards,

Orrin
http://users.moscow.com/oiseming/lc_ant_p/pic_Pr10.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Orrin For This Post:
Old 02-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Registered-II

Gerd,
It seems strange to me that such a Raab model could end up in Australia. Why not a model by Bailey in the UK who sold hot air engines in Australia (they also made a Lehmann style engine) or a scratch built model?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Registered-I

Brent,
that's because Hubertus Raab actually built Lehmann miniature engines and offered them on adverts
that's because Raab sold thousands of his engines (fans) to the Empire and close business connections did exist
that's because the only original Bailey model we know looks different
and a scratch-built model of such a quality?
It is always difficult to make statements as long as one hasn't seen the engine. By the way: The place where you find an engine must not automatically be the place of origin.
Of course there is no definite proof but as long as the appearance, the details and the rated dimensions match to Raab's leaflet illustration it was made in Zeitz - in my view. Nonetheless, I put a question mark on it.
You will find a lot of information about this model and Lehmann's and Bailey's and Ericsson's M1858 and other early hot-air engines in the "comp-02" digital booklet (300 pages) available soon. Just check my website.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Registered-II

Gerd,
Can you post the Raab advert here for us? Of course we both know that no Raab fans were sold under his name in the British empire--most were sold as Jost fans from that company in Bombay, although at least one example is known from Australia which was sold with the brand name of a local importer. And we should not underestimate the abilities of 19th century model makers--there are many, many examples of scratch-built models of this quality or better. Of course I do not believe it must be Australian because it was found there, but it's always an issue when there are no trademarks or other identifying marks. Very nice restoration by the way. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Registered-I

Brent,
In fact there were four German companies authenticated as makers or wholesalers of Lehmann models: Ernecke, Gerhardt, Kohl and Raab. Raab's small image depicted on a contemporary leaflet matches best to the enigmatic model. That's why I attributed it to this company in the 38-page article about Lehmann engines published as chapter 5 in e-booklet "comp-02". Only attributed to, mark you. The headline of a Gerhardt No.10 catalogue page (attachment) documents that in the late 19th century German companies sold their stuff even to British colonies. So in my view it seems to be somewhat more probably that this model is of German origin instead of being the product of a skilled Australian craftsman. Design details of the model show particularities only an insider would know. It's hard to imagine an Australian workshop having easy access to German patent files in those days, and we also should not overestimate the abilities of these guys. As long as we haven't seen their results. Can you post some of the "many, many examples of scratch-built models of this quality or better" for us?
And while a Jost fan sold to Australia was a most useful device in those days, making a hi-quality engine model was a waste of time and labor and money. Would you agree that people in Down-Under in the 1880s had more important things to do than building tiny to-scale Lehmann engines? But I'm no missionary and beauty as well as quality are always in the eye of the beholder - in fact we will never know the truth so let us stop a useless discussion, okay? Gerd
Attached Thumbnails
ernecke-lehmann.jpg