Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units Waukesha, Buda, Climax, LeRoi and others.

Multi-Cylinder Stationary Engines and Power Units

Hoof - Pierce governors out of business

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 5467 times

Old 02-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Banner Sponsor

Liked 114 Times in 107 Posts
Default Hoof - Pierce governors out of business

I'm unsure of the correct forum for this. Checked on some parts this morning, and found out that the parent company has shut down this line. Parts are limited to what's on the shelf or on order. It's sad as we know of no other replacements for these units. If someone knows of another company supplying similar units or parts, we would appreciate a PM or email. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Registered-II

Liked 86 Times in 65 Posts
Default Re: Hoof - Pierce governors out of business

I remember the day when mechanical governors were all that was used. Now it seems that everything is electronic. The problem is, I could purchase parts or replacements a few years ago for many governors going back into the 30's. Now when a company decides something is obsolete, which many times is less than a decade, everything incorporated into the electronic control is unusable. I guess at least an industrious person can repair a mechanical device whereas many electronic devices have chips that are designed for a specific purpose and not generally available after production ends. Just my thoughts
Old 02-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Registered-III

Liked 884 Times in 728 Posts

Haven't been in the dealers sites for some time, but my notes (2-3 yrs old) show foleyengines.com and mandmsurplus.com had Hoof-Pierce on their sites.
ATHS has a "parts and services" section that might have some sources; sounds like a good time to pick up any spare parts that might be needed...
Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Registered-I

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I have only had seen 2 of these hoof Governors come into a shop, and after tearing it down and pricing it up. I found it to be cheaper for the customer to buy a new one. Electronic Governors and Actuators are out there and yes you will see more of Electronic due to the EPA. Woodward makes an SG and PSG governors that are Hydraulic. Cummins make a adaptor that is self contain and is belt driven. I also belive that Allis Chambers Diesel engine also made a belt drive to run a hydraulic governor. These Governors are more costly, but can be over hauled the SG uses Droop to Stablize the governor, and the PSG use a needled valve and Droop it also has a buffer system in it. Problem is trying to get one to work on the prime mover that you have. What is nice about the Electronic Governors is on the panel you all ready Have Stable, Droop, Gain, plus if you using it on gas you can adjust your ramp time. All of this helps when you trying to Hold your 60 Cycles. Eletronic governors are easy most of them are throw away when it breaks. Barber Coleman were trying to help out the smaller customer family customers with there elecrronic governors, but woodward governor brought them out and only kept some of the models. There are a lot of Hoof governors out there and you might be able to buy them. Also Check other Governor Shops see if they might have an old one laying around if you need help finding one please contact me I will suggest some companies that might be able to help you all out. Ed