Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Rebuilding Oxygen / Acetylene Regulators?

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 17382 times

Old 03-09-2011, 02:29 AM
Subscriber

Liked 1,480 Times in 727 Posts
Default Rebuilding Oxygen / Acetylene Regulators?

Anyone know anything about rebuilding regulators? Is it easy? Hard? absolute pain in the @ss??? Will welding supply co's carry the parts? Do I need to order kits? Or should I just send them in for rebuild, or buy new ones?

Trying to help a racer friend get set-up with a cutting torch, I have a box full of old mystery regulators, I'm assuming they don't work, a few Victors, a few Harris, a few odd ball names, wondering if any of these are worth fixing. Cheapest new Victor set I can find is the Victor Performer at $231, which honestly does not sound too bad, past that its its the Victor Contender for $338, and I think the Journeyman series is more than she needs, and out of the budget.
Attached Thumbnails
regs 1.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2011, 03:43 AM
Registered-III

Liked 938 Times in 642 Posts
Default Re: Rebuilding Oxy / Acetylene Regulators?

personally id just buy new ones. im not sure if they are even re buildable or not. good luck
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 03-09-2011, 04:10 AM
Registered-I

Liked 65 Times in 51 Posts

The Harris are rebuildable and I think that the Victors also. Just check with a good welding supply and they will give you quote.
The Following 2 Users Like This Post:
Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Registered-II

Liked 151 Times in 104 Posts

I've had a few rebuilt over the years, and every time the bill came I'd wonder why I didn't just buy new ones, works out too close to the same. Have switched to Walters zip blades for most cutting needs. Ya, ya I know you need a torch, but the price of gas and tank rental will kill you. It's hard not to reach for the torch just to heat a stubborn bolt etc. but torches are a luxury that come with a high price tag, buying the torch set is the cheap part of this deal.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Registered-III

Liked 656 Times in 302 Posts

As have been stated, unless it is one of the heavy duty industrial regulators. It is cheaper to buy new since most LWS know don't have the people that can rebuild them correctly.
Now they aren't making parts for the older ones, like they used too.
You will find the first question is do you do it in house or send them out for repair/rebuild.
Wrong material for O rings/seals/diaphragms and you have a potential catastrophe on hand. And since it is for a friend, his insurance won't pay,he will be looking to you for damages.

You have to remember "No good deed goes unpunished"
The Following 4 Users Like This Post:
Old 03-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Registered-III

Liked 1,459 Times in 573 Posts
Default Re: Rebuilding Oxygen / Acetylene Regulators?

i have sent them out to be rebuilt through a welding supplier they work fine. but its not cheap. last time i did it they were 50 a piece and new ones were in the 125 range and that has been a while..i would not try doing it myself for myself let alone someone else as i would not want that liability...i have had people come to my shop wanting me to weld on brush hog blades and get all kinds of mad when i refuse if it would break then it's my a #$&^*...i would go to a welding supplier and ask what they get to rebuild vs new........good luck...john
Old 03-09-2011, 10:47 AM
In Memory Of

Liked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts

About a year ago I ask a local welding shop if I could get a repair kit for a Flow Meter/Regulator on my MiG welder. YOU WOULD have thought I ask to get on a airliner with a box cutter.
I have found a place where you can get kits: www.regulatortorchrepair.com

Kent
Old 03-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Registered-II

Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts

I've paid about $75 to have Victor regulators rebuilt. About 1/2 the cost of new. Sure I could buy a cheap import for less than that but regulators doesn't seem like the thing where cost should be my first consideration.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanks guys, looks like we're just going to get a new set-up, it might even be cheaper than rebuilding. At this point she has no torch, regulators, nothing, so we were going to have to find a torch, which probably needed rebuilding too, and everyone on craigslist is really proud of their torches, add new hose and we might as well buy new, it just doesn't make sense. Tossed all the old regs in a box o'stuff thats headed to the flea market this weekend, its amazing how much junk has accumulated in the shop over 20 years.

Sure is funny how the liability issue has changed, 30 years ago I took a scuba diving course, one of the things we were taught is how to rebuild the regulator. The thinking then was that it was your life at risk so you needed to know that thing would work, you could not trust anyone at a shop. It would not surprise me today that now they stress "never ever try to fix your own regulator, they're very complicated and should only be worked on by qualified personell"
Old 03-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Registered-III

Liked 656 Times in 302 Posts

The only real thing has changed is the over abundance of lawyers today. And the fact that few if any people will take responsibility, for their actions. Also the mind set that if your sued your insurance company has deep pockets. Also the attitude garnered from TV that it's nothing personal
New legal notice dealing with chainsaws, "Don't handle by chain end", or all of the legal disclaimers whether on the commercials or packages.
The juries give out huge settlements. For spilling hot coffee on yourself etc.
Do you what to risk everything you have on your friend, won't turn and say "it's nothing personal," if the rebuild goes sideway's
So many lawyers are out there now that almost every one of the talking heads on national news is a lawyer, and in a lot of other jobs. I know one lawyer that has been a stationary engineer for the last 20 years. Due to the fact that when he was a lawyer, he wasn't making a living wage for the number of hours he was working.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Registered-II

Liked 140 Times in 75 Posts

The last ones I had done were $50. or $60. for each reg. and same for torch end, ---didnt last long, so bought new Chimina made one,---has never worked properly since I have owned it.---For my own use I would re-build my old Victor and Harris units IF I could get the parts!---couldnt be any worse than the new import junk!----Then again the parts are probably made in Chima, so who knows the right route!

Now as for doing it for someone else to use FORGET IT!---can't afford the liability in case of that "what if " were to happen!

I use the Chima cutoff saw a lot and a Mil. Delux sawz-all, also a small band saw for everything I can so I can stretch the oxy.-acy gas as far as possible---last refill for two big tanks was over a hundred bucks,--plus the half day road trip to go get it.---I own my own tanks so I am stuck with the Lindie brand (now Praxair)--and they are jerks!

To get set-up before you can even flick your bic to the cutting head to light it, You are talking several hundred bucks in todays market! Figuring the hardware + consumables.---then there is the learning curve of getting the most use for the least cost of materials.---hope this helps give you some "info to consider" in making your choice! thanks; sonny
Old 03-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Subscriber

Liked 1,149 Times in 353 Posts

toledo torch is top notch. they have done many for us. a bit far from you but you may be able to get them in a flat rate box.www.toledotorch.com
Old 03-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Subscriber

Liked 5,446 Times in 2,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
....Sure is funny how the liability issue has changed, 30 years ago I took a scuba diving course, one of the things we were taught is how to rebuild the regulator. The thinking then was that it was your life at risk so you needed to know that thing would work, you could not trust anyone at a shop. It would not surprise me today that now they stress "never ever try to fix your own regulator, they're very complicated and should only be worked on by qualified personell"
Sounds to me like you're "qualified" and could probably handle rebuilding your own if you were rebuilding scuba regulators 20-30 years ago, but like others have pointed out with the liabilty issues, maybe not a good idea to do so for someone else, no matter how good of a friend they currently are. Of course you could run into the same problems fixing a friends brakes or rewiring their house for them too, so how do you decide what to do and what to pass on

I didn't check the prices on that link that K D Redd provided, but it looks like they have kits for most brands out there.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Subscriber

Liked 1,149 Times in 353 Posts

dalmation girl,

what makes you think they need rebuilt in the first place? have you put them on a set of tanks yet? what are they doing?
are they creeping? gages broken? busted diaphragms?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Subscriber

Otto
Yes but that was a long time ago when I had a real life and had time for things like scuba diving. I've fixed a million things since then, just never tore into a gas regulator. Over 100 people looked at them at the flea market today, only guy that wanted them was only willing to pay $5 for the whole box, I explained to him that I had weighed that box and it was 40 lbs of brass, if they go for scrap I'll take them in. There is something seriously wrong with this world..............

JBoogie
I'm pretty much just assuming they are dead, they were in the drawers of the shop workbenches 10 years ago when I closed the doors, we were not using them then, I would not even try to use one without rebuilding it first.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Subscriber

Liked 433 Times in 224 Posts

I had an old set that I bought used. They seamed to be OK when I first got them but after not using them for a year or more I found that they has leaks. One was leaking to the outside and the other gage was creeping up. I stopped using them for my own safety. I found a new never used set on Ebay for a good price and and bought them. When I went to put them on the tanks they didn't fit. I took them to a local supplier and he seamed to think that were for foreign use. That was not a problem because he was able to fit me out with the correct fittings. It cost me another $15. I can't remember how much I paid for them but it was cheaper than store price. Can anyone tell the quality from the mod. #. They are Victor. The acetylene is SR 460 A , the oxygen is SR 450 D. Thanks , Ron
Old 03-13-2011, 03:24 AM
Registered-II

Liked 151 Times in 123 Posts

The above stories sound too familiar to us in Australia these days. For many years the local (british designed) BOC, CIG or Comweld dealers stocked rebuild kits and we rebuilt our own as needed. Later they became Factory Exchange only, and now we just junk them and buy new.
When Harris became available here they sold kits, but I never heard anyone wh had great success rebuilding them. Like the rest they are now a disposable item. Guess we all suffered the same fate at the hands of the lawyers, Regards, Combustor
Old 03-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Registered-I

Liked 52 Times in 17 Posts

If you want a real laugh, go into a new steel supplier to buy a little 6061 aluminum and mention you are building and airplane. All of a sudden they don't have anything to sell!
Dave Richards