Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

4 HP IHC Titan Side Shaft is

now in my back yard :) . It went from a Dodge pickup in Pa., to a Ford pickup to New Jersey. It got...

this thread has 248 replies and has been viewed 49236 times

Old 05-13-2011, 07:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,636 Times in 985 Posts
Default Re: 4 HP IHC Titan Side Shaft is

I was fussing with the valves today and decided to fix the broken ears on the exhaust valve guide, after I replace the switch on my Makita 4 1/2” grinder . I got a piece of black pipe, notched it in half about ½” deep with the band saw and then cut it off with the pipe cutter. I dressed the valve cage and the two half pieces with the grinder so they fit pretty good on there respective sides. I then got the MIG welder out and welded the half pieces on, making sure that that the bolts would pass through the hole. Then I finished up the ear profile with the grinder, filed it a bit, put the piece in the bead blaster and then on the wire wheel. Sure looks like it will be A-OK . I thought about making some gaskets, but that can wait because KK wants an old looking S.P.D.T knife switch out of my collection, probably will get the best one I have……… . Which one do you think he wants .
Attached Thumbnails
ExValveGuide.jpg   ExValveGuide (3).jpg   ExValveGuide (4).jpg   100E2591.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Subscriber

I got a chance today and “TOOK A BREAK” from mundane things and decided it was time to start making some gaskets for the Titan S/S. These are just not available on my or anyone else’s shelf . So I dragged out the N.O.S. circle cutter and board I got at the "FLEA MARKET" years ago . The first one was for the igniter and it was really narrow. Once I got the cutter set right I made up a couple extra, just in case. After I traced the outline of the castings for some of the other ones, I used the good old ball peen hammer, a pair of sharp scissors and a set of gasket punches. Some of the gasket surfaces were quite pitted so I cleaned them up a bit on the belt sander. I don’t want to have a problem later. It was another good day, while having fun , even in NJ on the way through.
Attached Thumbnails
gasketmaking.jpg   gasketmaking (2).jpg   gasketmaking (3).jpg   gasketmaking (4).jpg  
Old 06-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Subscriber

Sometime after supper tonight, the UPS man made a delivery from Hit & Miss Enterprises . It was the NEW EXHAUST valve for the TITAN S/S I ordered . It has a 2” face with a 3/8” stem 9” long. I trial fit it tonight as I ordered it a bit long so I can custom fit the length as needed . It will have to wait till after the Coolspring show and getting the piston completed. Here are a few pictures of it, getting me a bit closer to getting it back together .
Attached Thumbnails
NewExhaustValve.jpg   NewExhaustValve (2).jpg   NewExhaustValve (3).jpg  
Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Subscriber

While at the Coolspring show I found a spring real close in size to what I needed for the exhaust valve. After I hunted down Preston who owned it, I got the spring. Thank you, Preston . The only problem is that it was just a tad big for the valve keeper and my engine is now part Bessemer . Today I made a new valve keeper out of a bigger, heavy stock fender washer. I centered the fender washer over the original valve keeper, clamped it tight in the big old Wilton welding vise, fired up the torch, heated just the edge of the fender washer red hot and formed it over the old keeper with a small hammer. It came out perfect . I welded another washer with the right sized hole on it, ground and filed it a bit it so it looks right, bead blasted it and another step in completing the 4HP S/S is done while having fun, even in NJ on the way through.
Attached Thumbnails
Exhaust Valve Keeper (3).jpg   Exhaust Valve Keeper (4).jpg   Exhaust Valve Keeper (5).jpg   Exhaust Valve Keeper (6).jpg  
Old 06-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,408 Times in 1,163 Posts

With that bessemer spring, she should run better than she ever did lol

rod
The Following User Says Thank You to Rod Fielder:
Old 06-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Subscriber

I knew Rob was making me a new piston and it was almost done. He had a core that he sent to Cattail foundry and the castings were back and being machined. I called Rob and he said the piston was done and the new oversized rings fitted. So today I made the 60 mile trip up to his place to pick up the piston, new piston pin, already bored 1/8” over cylinder and rod. I stopped at a Wednesday “FLEA MARKET” on the way, but nothing caught my eye except the nice lightning rod amethyst ball that the guy in front of me picked up. I hung around a bit just in case he put it down. Anyway, he paid the $6.00 marked on it, and it was all over . Back on the road to Rob’s to pick up my stuff. The original piston was 4 ¾” W x 7 1/8” L and weighed 12 1/4 #’s. The piston casting was 5 3/8” W x 7 ½” L and weighed 26 ½ #’s. The new oversize piston is 4 7/8” W x 7 1/6” L and weighs 15 ½ #’s. It took about 10 hours and 11 #’s of chips to make . Just something I can't do. I need to do a lot of paint removal, pick up a few missing nuts and bolts to get started, put other projects on hold, make some more gaskets, and clean up my work area before I start assembly in earnest . Some day this summer I’ll have it back together, and running . Well back to the shop to figure out what's next, now that the Grandkids have left, for the day?
Attached Thumbnails
Piston2.jpg   CYLINDER (2).jpg  
Old 07-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Subscriber

On July 3, 20111, I spent a few hours on the Titan S/S under cover as it was raining on and off most of the day . I had already made the cylinder to base gasket so I decided to strip the rest of the peeling paint off the cylinder and get it put back in place. It had been off for a lot of years and never put back on after getting bored 1/8” oversized. I picked up a H/F needle scaler to remove the paint instead of sand blasting and or paint stripper, and it worked quite well as I want to “KEEP” the old rusty look . I thought getting the engine tag off would be a problem, but the rivets holding it in place came loose by banging on them gently from inside the hopper . With a ‘grunt” or two , I got the cylinder back up, in place and bolted down with new hardware since the old hardware had long been lost before I got the engine. Well, that was enough for another good day, even in NJ.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint-Removal.jpg   Paint-Removal (3).jpg   Paint-Removal (4).jpg   Paint-Removal (5).jpg  
Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,110 Times in 298 Posts

Looking good Paul. Better move the engine into the air condition garage with the heat 90 plus these days. Just to let the folks know Sandy Paul's wife keeps the house around sub zero. Was over at Paul's the other day and Paul came out of the garage with a Eskimo coat on.

KK
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin Kusel:
Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Subscriber

Back in post 39 of this thread, I had received the reproduced cam side shaft gear (H230) made from drawings provided by Guy Fay. I previously decided to not get the crankshaft gear made because I thought I could still use it, and didn't really want to remove the flywheel and gear. As I began the engine re-assembly I looked at the gear closely and decided it was really to worn to use, let alone run against the new gear . Soooooo I contacted the gear maker and will get a “NEW” crankshaft gear made. Now I have to remove the flywheel and gear from the crankshaft , measure both the side shaft and crankshaft dimensions, install the side shaft without the gear and take a measurement or 2 or 3 or….. Once I have those dimensions and along with the gear drawing (H4256) I will have the gear made. With the use of some “FLEA MARKET” 1 ¼” wrenches obtained a long time ago I got the flywheel bolt off. The flywheel key is internally threaded for a 3/8-16 bolt so I made an attachment for the slide hammer to pull the key out, after I put a wedge in the flywheel hub split. The crankshaft gear is keyed on with no shoulder or way to get it out from the flywheel side. Maybe if I take off the bearing cap I can get a punch behind it and drive it out. If not I guess I could cut the gear with a trusty H/F 4 ½” grinder with a cutting blade on it down to the key . Maybe tomorrow or the next day I’ll tackle that job . In the meantime, I can still put some parts together and work at getting a cart made from IHC parts just laying around here, as well as working on the many other projects that keep me having “FUN” here in NJ.
Attached Thumbnails
Gear-removal (2).jpg   Gear-removal (3).jpg   Gear-removal (4).jpg   Gear-removal.jpg  
Old 07-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Card Sponsor

Hi Paul, Gear does look a bit worn. Good choice to replace it. No need to wear out the new other 1. Rob
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Charles:
Old 07-07-2011, 09:03 PM
Subscriber

I got the right size chisel and wedged it in the flywheel slot tight enough and the flywheel key, using the slide hammer came right out. I put a piece of 4” x 4” in the crankcase and after a couple of short turns the flywheel came loose and was quickly removed. I pulled off the bearing cap on the S/S side and was able to get a punch to the key holding the gear in place and drove it out. Things are too easy, and that soon changed as the S/S gear wouldn’t budge using a gear puller and some brute force on the other side . I’ll let it sit for awhile before I try again. I cleaned out the crankshaft oil hole and found that the crank pin oil ring was only held on with one bolt and the feed tube was sheared off . I drilled out the feed tube and made a new one like the old one using ¼” copper tubing, soldered it in and bolted the crank pin oil ring back in place. When I took off the bearing cap, the bearing had a few light groves in it, and upon inspection of the crank shaft I found a few, what looked like light hammer marks on it, all in the same plane I took a fine file and polished the high spots off. I went back to the gear, and it’s not coming off easily so I left it soaking with PB Blaster. I cleaned out some of the mounting bolt holes, found a compression relief valve, some piping for the drain and order a few studs I need from McMaster Carr. I guess I’m having “FUN”, here in NJ on the way through .
Attached Thumbnails
100_2796.jpg   100_2800.jpg   100_2794.jpg   100_2803.jpg  
Old 07-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,255 Times in 811 Posts

Paul, I've got the original cart (well, at least wheels and axles) that were under your engine. They are rough though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lcjudge:
Old 07-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Subscriber

Tommy: THANKS.

Today I tried heating the crankshaft gear a few times and its “NOT BUDGING” even when using unusual means to make it move. I got out the $9.95 H/F 4 ½” grinder, put on the metal cutting blade and began cutting the gear right to the open keyway. 15 minutes later it’s finally off. Upon close inspection of the gear keyway, it had a “BURR” along one side right into the crankshaft key way. No wonder it wouldn’t budge . Now to install the S/S and take a few measurements for the gear maker like shaft sizes and the shaft offsets needed for the new gear mesh tolerance. Tomorrow will be another good day in NJ , and I might get this done with no grandkids around .
Attached Thumbnails
100_2807.jpg   100_2808.jpg  
Old 07-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Subscriber

KK showed up with some work for me and to look at "STUFF". While he was here we guessed the weight of the flywheels. I got out the scale and boy are they heavy weighing in at 225#'s. They are heavier than we expected . After KK left, I got the S/S put on and took a few measurements for the gear maker. Tomorrow I’ll take the measurements again and verify that they are the same with a couple of the measuring tools I have at hand. Here is a photo of the S/S mounted and it fits nice and snug .
Attached Thumbnails
100_2810.jpg  
Old 07-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Subscriber

I took all the measurements for the crankshaft driving gear as requested by the gear maker and sent them to him. A few hours later I got a call from him with more questions and I gave him everything he needed. My dimension from shaft to shaft using a stove bolt and a nylon nut reversed was within 0.010 of that he got on a previous gear build for someone else with a Titan S/S. He asked if I was anxious to get the gear. I responded as soon as he can get to it, and sooner is OK with me . Now that that’s out of the way, I decided to fit the new L-O-N-G exhaust valve I got awhile back. I had to put the side shaft, head and exhaust rocker arm on to do it. While doing this I decided to put a bunch of other parts together and see what else may be needed . I had the valve made 8 ¾” long and I had to shortened it to 8 ¼” as I fit it and put a nut and cotter key on the end. While at it, I cleaned up the exhaust valve adjuster on the rocker arm. Now that I have some of the parts together, I find I need to make some bushings, pins, get some nuts and bolts, wire, and make some more gaskets. Sure wish I had that lost/missing can of nuts, bolts, pins, etc…. but so far there is nothing that I couldn’t get or make. Now don’t get excited because I have a ways to go yet before the first “FIRE”. Me, I’m just plugging away at it, having fun, even in NJ , and getting excited as it starts coming together and looking more like a TITAN S/S.
Attached Thumbnails
TrialFit7-12-2011 (2).jpg   TrialFit7-12-2011 (4).jpg   TrialFit7-12-2011.jpg   100_2815.jpg  
Old 07-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Subscriber

I took the Titan back apart to make some pins, drill holes and make a bushing. I cut to size, and set up some 3/8 rod in the mill after centering it, and drilled the hole for the cotter key in each. Then I had to drill an existing ½” pin and used one of my transfer punches to locate the hole. I then moved the mill table back (to the center of ½”, I used my ½” edge finder to locate the fixed edge of the mill vise) and then drilled the cotter key hole. Everything lined up right. One of the bolts needed is a 5/8” shoulder bolt that’s missing . I looked around in the bushing drawer and came up with one ¼” longer that will fit on a 5/8” bolt . I pressed out the old steel one, cleaned it up, put some loc-tite on the brass bushing and pressed it in. Then I put it in the lathe and machined it to length. I then put Loc-tite on the steel bushing and pressed it into the arm. Nice fit using a standard bolt. Now I need to find the right length 5/8 bolt with a 1 ¼” shoulder which I do not have in the shed . With that done, I turned to the next item I want to tackle.
Attached Thumbnails
Pins&Bushings7-13-2011 (2).jpg   Pins&Bushings7-13-2011 (4).jpg   Pins&Bushings7-13-2011 (5).jpg   Pins&Bushings7-13-2011.jpg  
Old 07-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Subscriber

I got out the needle scaler and went to work on removing the paint on one side of the flywheel that’s off. Sure got a lot of paint debris. I thought I would give the air compressor a rest and took my trusty, old and sharp wood chisel and took the paint off the other side making more paint debris before I quit for the day . It sure looks better than with the old flaking paint . I went to the “BOLT” store and got a 5/8” x 3 ½” bolt with the right plain shoulder. Cut it to length and then a wee bit off the inside of the head for a “CUSTOM” fit . I’ll just keep working at it while having “FUN”, in NJ.
Attached Thumbnails
PaintRemoval7-13-2011 (2).jpg   PaintRemoval7-13-2011.jpg   PivotPin7-14-2011 (2).jpg   PivotPin7-14-2011.jpg  
Old 07-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 2,668 Times in 297 Posts

Looking real good Paul, Gonna have her running this weekend?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike O:
Old 07-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Registered-II

Howdy Paul, I'm really enjoying reading all the post and seeing the pictures of the engine going back together. keep up the good work.
The Following User Says Thank You to cowboycook0112:
Old 07-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 2,214 Times in 721 Posts

How aggressive is the needle scaler Paul? Will it just take flaking paint, or will it take any original paint left underneath with it? We have an engine with an old restoration that I want to remove, but I don't know what's left under it.