Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Tractor Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Tractor Talk Vintage farm tractors and mounted implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Tractor Talk

Ford 8N Transmission Repair

going to repair and 8n ford transmision. What all needs to be removed before the you do the rear...

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 3632 times

Old 03-17-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered-I

Default Ford 8N Transmission Repair

going to repair and 8n ford transmision. What all needs to be removed before the you do the rear split. Do you need to remove the pto shaft or the pto control lever or do they just slide apart like the front split. Looking for some pointers or tricks before I tackle this one.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: 8n ford transmision repair

from what ive learned the engine needs to come off then the transsmission splits from the rear end. there could be other ways but this is what ive seen so far.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:56 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Ford 8N Transmission Repair

My local library has the complete manual,really good info in there,If they don't have something I need they can get it through a exchange program they have up here.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 12,947 Times in 3,068 Posts

Tractor Supply Stores, TSC here, used to carry the basic repair books on that stuff.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Registered-III

I would split the tractor behind the engine. You have to pull the hood off anyway so that you can unbolt and remove the steering column to access through the top if I remember correctly (that's how it is on my 2N). You can remove the input shaft and countershaft by removing the bearing covers inside the tranny housing on the front (engine side), then slide the shafts out through the holes. The gears just slide off, or you can slide out just far enough to tilt the shaft up and pull the whole thing out through the top cover. What exactly are you trying to repair? A chipped/noisey gear?
Old 03-18-2011, 04:00 PM
Registered-I

I shelled the one gear on the bottom shaft in transmission plus missing teeth on another. From what I have heard and read that to change those gears everything comes out of the transmission. But I am also looking into getting a donor tractor and swapping tranny's. The old ford pushed too much snow this winter. I am open to any suggestions If it wouldn't be a tractor that was in the family I would send it over to Bethlehem Steel for a bath in their big tub.

Thank You
Old 03-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered-III

Seriously, you don't need a donor tractor. Swapping the gears out in these things is really easy. I had never seen the inside of a transmission before and I completely rebuilt mine with little more than a socket wrench and a pocket knife. You may wish to call just8ns.com and see if they have any spare parts they could sell you. Very helpful and fairly priced.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:27 AM
Registered-II

They are really simple to do . But you want to watch all bolt lengths when removing and reinstalling bolts. Thats why my gear got taken out. Owner before me put bolts in wrong one was to long, inturn it knoched a chunk of the gearbox off , dropped in the gears when he went to move the old girl CRUNCH..........Just saying..........