Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Blacksmithing and Metallurgy
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy Hand-wrought manufacture of metal objects, extracting metals from their ores, or purifying metals and casting useful items from the metals.

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy

Rebuilding Little Giant Power Hammers

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 3049 times

Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Registered-II

Liked 311 Times in 148 Posts
Default Rebuilding Little Giant Power Hammers

I am writing this post because, even though us "old folks" already know this stuff, the new-er comers to the craft may not.

I just noticed that the book "The Little Giant Power Hammer" by Richard Kern is available again at Centaur Forge. (I thought it was out of print for a while).
http://www.centaurforge.com/basket.asp
This book covers a lot of ground for folks who want to learn how to rebuild their little giant hammer, as well as an in-depth history of the company.
It is $52.50 at present.

While I am on the subject, don't forget that Sid Suedmeier also has a recently professionally-produced DVD set on rebuilding Little Giants. I have reviewed it previously and my review can be seen at:

http://www.spaco.org/Blacksmithing/P...ittleGiant.htm

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------
The Following 2 Users Like This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Registered-I

Liked 45 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Rebuilding Little Giant Power Hammers

I'm rebuilding a 50 lb little giant, and purchased the Kern book as well as Sid's DVD. The Kern book is helpful, but recommends some low tech solutions on how to fabricate some of the necessary replacement parts, using easy to find parts instead of machining. Sid's video was very helpful, with detailed information on pouring the bearings, upgrading the clutch system, etc. I found Sid's video much more helpful than Kern's book during the rebuild, and would only purchase the DVD if I were to do it again. Neil
Old 05-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Registered-II

Liked 70 Times in 41 Posts
Default Re: Rebuilding Little Giant Power Hammers

Back when I had a very old 50Lb Little Giant I bought the book & found it interesting but not much help in rebuilding it. The video or going to one of the classes Sid has in Ne. is a better way to learn how to rebuild a LG hammer. I sure wish I still had my 50.

Dave Huffman