Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Help Starting Waterloo Hit and Miss Engine

OK. The weather is starting to turn warmer. I am now able to get outside and work on the engine. ...

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1813 times

Old 04-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Registered-I

Default Help Starting Waterloo Hit and Miss Engine

OK. The weather is starting to turn warmer. I am now able to get outside and work on the engine. I have a 1911 Waterlooe 1.5 hp engine similar to this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hR-p...eature=related

I can not get it to fire. I had the ignitor rebuilt. The gas can has a leak so I am not using it at this time. I am squirting a little gas into the wiltry mixer, turning it over, but now kick. All parts move freely. I can see the intake valve move (kinda flutters)

What kind of battery is needed. I bought a brand new coil from Hit N Miss Enterprises. (-battery to side of igniter on engine, +battery to one side of coil, the other side of coil to stem on ignitor

I would think by squirting a little gas in the mixer it would at least fire once. But I get nothing. I will try to get some videos posted.

Please help!

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

My engine is almost exactly the same as the video above. minus the muffler. I have not taken the head off. I do not want to unless I need to. It is on there pretty good. I just don't see why I can't get it to even fire just once. Unless battery/ignitor is giving me problems. Maybe the timing?

How do I check the timing?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,084 Times in 429 Posts
Default Re: Help Starting Waterloo Hit and Miss Engine

first, with the coil wire disconected from the ignitor, turn the engine till just before the ignitor trip clicks off. drag the coil wire across the ignitor stud. you should get a healthy spark, if so, it is not an ignition problem. at the end of the power stroke, the exaust valve should start to open, & close about top dead center. this could vary a little, but you get the idea. the ignitor trip should click or jump off about 10 degrees before top dead center. again, this could vary a little. if all this is good, it's got to be fuel. skip
Old 04-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered-III

Try a bit more fuel into the mixer/engine,Norm
Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Registered-I

I was thinking maybe I was flooding it. I know a lot of people switch the wiltry to a lukenheimer. This egine is all original and i would like to keep it that way. As with my bessy, once i start this a few times, it will become easier. (Had a heck of a tiome with bessy until the first two three pops).
Old 04-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Registered-III

Also,be aware that if you flood a horizontal they can be very difficult to get going.It appears that they have the same problem a lot of our old girls have,worn parts and rings the fuel washes the rings and bore and you lose compression very frustrating!You could perhaps give her a sniff of aerostart/ether and see what happens,(not recommended for Diesels).If no start,drive her with another engine until you get your initial start out of the way then when you have set fuel etc try cranking.Keep cranking,Norm
Old 04-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Subscriber

Does the timing gear and crank gear have marks?,,if not it should fire just before top dead center on the compression stroke,(A few degree's before),,if your battery and coil are working good you should be able to trip your ignitor off of the engine for a spark?,(blue),make sure your getting a good ground,,as far as flooded you should be able to tell if its flooding?,,with your oiler dripping good does it have good compression?,just make sure the cylinder isn't dry,and its not fuel,,its just hard to tell on something like this unless your standing there looking at it?, like Skip has explained,,,Jim
Old 04-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,162 Times in 306 Posts

Firefighter. I feel your pain! I have a 1911 1 1/2 WB with the Wiltry mixer also. I fiddle farted with mine for a whole season till I found the timing was off 1 tooth. Now I can squirt a shot of gas in the choke bowl and spin it over and it will run for hours on end with no hassles. Usually I'll squirt oil on the piston skirt before turning it over to aid in the compression as my rings are worn and it dosn't have a whole lot of compression. Bill Wehrman has one with hardly any compression at all and his starts just as easily. If you need any pics of the gears let me know as I've taken a lot for a fellow stacker. Mark
Old 04-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Registered-I

Mark,
Pictures would be awesome. It has pretty good compression. I can hear a little hiss when piston move completly forward. I would think even with this little leak, there should be enough compression to fire.

Can't get to the engine until two weeks from now. I have to go to Knoxsville, Tennessee next week. Maybe I'll get lucky and see an engine to purchase down there

---------- Post added at 07:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

What kind of battery should I be using? I was using a 6 volt SLA out of my boys john deere tractor. (they made me put it back)

should it be 12volt?