Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Maytag Engine Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Maytag Engine Collectibles Maytag engines, washing machines, mowers and other engine driven tools for the farm.

Maytag Engine Collectibles

Didn't Maytag ALWAYS make gas & electric?

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1405 times

Old 04-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Registered-III

Default Didn't Maytag ALWAYS make gas & electric?

An E-Bay auction makes the following statement:

1934 Electric Maytag washer; minor rust. This is the year that they offered both electric and gasoline--this is electric

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Maytag ALWAYS make a gas or electric washer?

http://ebay.com/1934-Maytag-Washing-Machine-/160571735198
The Following User Says Thank You to wvsky:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Didn't Maytag ALWAYS make gas & electric?

Maytag started building washers about 1907 hand driven and PTO drive. In 1911 they installed the first electric motor. In 1915 they installed the first gas engine and continued with their own engine until 1952-53 Then With a Briggs after that. Despite popular belief they built way more electric drive washers then gas. By percentage of what was built very few were gas drive compared to electric. Maytag Mark

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

That washer has the scarce water pump accessory.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Shulaw:
Old 04-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
That washer has the scarce water pump accessory.
Mark,
Now that you pointed out that this washer has a pump, reminds of the time my dad asked me to bail the basement after a heavy rain. He also mentioned that I had to finish getting rid of the water in the basement before I could do anything else. Furthermore, he and my mother had an errand to do in town and they left.
Now, being an enterprising young boy and no one at home to tell me I couldn't do, I removed the pump along with the motor from the Maytag washer. Yes, I pumped the water out of basement using the Maytag motor/pump assembly. Fortunately I didn't electrocute myself as in those days electric extension cords were only of the two wire type - no ground wire. I placed the motor/pump on a large piece of timber, hooked up a hose to the pump outlet, and turned on the electricity. The basement was dry in a short time.
By the time the folks got home, I had reinstalled the motor/pump on the washer.
Of course, when dad and mom saw that I wasn't bailing water from the basement, I start catching "you know what" for not doing what was told to do. After I explained that the basement was dry, they didn't believe me until they verified it for themselves.
Needless to say, I never told them how I removed the water from the basement until many years later.
The Following User Says Thank You to Francis:
Old 04-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Subscriber

People will say anything to make a sale, ha
Old 04-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,827 Times in 2,468 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Didn't Maytag ALWAYS make gas & electric?

Human ingenuity at its best I love it when a plan comes together.
Andrew
Old 04-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Registered-II

WVSKY, You are right. Maytag did indeed make electric washers. thats where the model F, 15, 10, 110 etc came in including the 30 and 32. Those are where the novice collector dealer has the problem calling a model 92 maytag engine, a model 92. they have the washing machine model numbers on the engine tags. The only difference in engines was the gas tank used to mount them on the washing machine. Anyhow, to get to your point, you are right.
ENGINESILO is also right. If you ll look at the ebay sellers other products, he is a dealer of "antiques". I ve been on ebay buying for years. I have yet to see an "antique dealer" who know what the heck he is selling. he is just trying to make a buck and in doing so embarrasses himself by not knowing his merchandise.

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

WVSKY, You are right. Maytag did indeed make electric washers. thats where the model F, 15, 10, 110 etc came in including the 30 and 32. Those are where the novice collector dealer has the problem calling a model 92 maytag engine, a model 92. they have the washing machine model numbers on the engine tags. The only difference in engines was the gas tank used to mount them on the washing machine. Anyhow, to get to your point, you are right.
ENGINESILO is also right. If you ll look at the ebay sellers other products, he is a dealer of [antiques]. I ve been on ebay buying for years. I have yet to see an [antique dealer] who know what the heck he is selling. he is just trying to make a buck and in doing so embarrasses himself by not knowing his merchandise.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Registered-III

Well... I knew that Maytag didn't start out making both types of washers, but I knew that relatively speaking, it didn't take them long to supply both. I was sort of implying tongue in cheek that this guy was not exactly right on his description.
The Following User Says Thank You to wvsky:
Old 04-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvsky View Post
Well... I knew that Maytag didn't start out making both types of washers, but I knew that relatively speaking, it didn't take them long to supply both. I was sort of implying tongue in cheek that this guy was not exactly right on his description.
Gotcha, Should a figured there was a bit of irony or sarcasm in there, GRINNN. Wow quiet on the forum this weekend. There must be a bunch of spring yard work going on and maybe a few swap meets drawing the fellas away. Nothing around here this weekend except rain and catch up work. Mark