Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Hello from the UK

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1341 times

Old 04-15-2011, 05:45:05 AM
Registered-I

Default Hello from the UK

Hi All

I Live in London and collect every kind of vintage electrical gear - so generators are my 'window' on the wonderful world of vintage engines. It's a kind of busman's holiday because my work is electrical and mechanical engineering too, both vintage and modern.

My collection includes a number of Lister gensets and a Crossley oil engined lighting plant from 1923. The largest of the generators is a compound steam set of 60kW - the pic of me below was taken round the back of the boiler. Generators are only part of the story though. Motors, converters, mercury arc rectifiers, lift machinery, telephone switchboards, cinema organs - if it's heavy and has lots of wires I'm probably interested in it. Working on opening a museum soon, I'll tell more about that in later posts....

Cheers
Lucien
Attached Thumbnails
gen_roopers_06_engine.jpg   gen_roopers_06_comm.jpg   Sooty arm.jpg   gen_lister22kw_270408_opside.jpg  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lucien Nunes For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2011, 06:38:27 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 17,092 Times in 3,759 Posts
Default Re: Hello from the UK

Welkom on board Lucien,

Greatings from Holland.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:55:44 AM
Registered-III

Lucien,WOW what can I say other than well done!!Whilst I don't get involved in some strange force that I cannot see until it hurts/kills me good to see a staker doing this,keep cranking,Norm
Old 04-15-2011, 08:23:31 PM
Registered-I

Thanks for the welcome, here are a few more pics of my favourite toys:

The Bellis / ECC compound set - I'm much more into diesel than steam but this is a very user-friendly set that even a steam tyro like me can handle!

My greatest love of all the old electrical stuff - mercury arc rectifiers. This is one of the smaller bulbs in the collection but a very nice looking one - output 60A at up to 290V.

Another Lister JP4 genny, this is a 20kVA 3-phase unit from WW2 radar, whereas the one in the pic above is a 22kW DC searchlight genny.

Then there's the Lister DC Start-O-Matic which really belongs to my friend Dave but one day I will get around to buying it from him...

Once upon a time I fell to wondering what generator I would get if I were only ever allowed to have one. Luckily I am single so that doesn't apply

Lucien
Attached Thumbnails
gen_belliss_06_plant.jpg   mar_nevelinkal_06_bulbside.jpg   gen_lister20kva_0306_set.jpg   gen_listerdcsom_0707_plantarriving.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucien Nunes For This Post:
Old 04-16-2011, 02:30:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,327 Times in 317 Posts

Wow, that is a nice collection! What type of Crossley is that?

Marcel
Old 04-16-2011, 07:44:04 PM
Registered-I

Hi Marcel, it's a type O117, rated 36 bhp at 290 rpm on heavy oil. Built 1923 and installed to provide electricity to Firle Place in West Sussex. The GEC dynamo produces 17kW at 300V DC for charging a 240V battery.

At the moment the engine is in storage since moving - I'm looking forward to unpacking it again this year. Really I should put down foundations and get on with a permanent installation, but there is something very tempting about making it rallyable. I've seen pictures of Martie Koops' O117 on its sled, but this would need a much larger sled because of the generator. It would have to be built up each time on the rallyfield, quite a headache.

Here is the Crossley flywheel on the end of the crane, compared to my smallest engine, a Lister D-type on a 1kW 50/73V Bruston set. It's the oldest original D-Bruston that we know of, spec 11D2 from early 1927.

Lucien
Attached Thumbnails
D type on crane.jpg   gen_roopers_06_flywheel.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucien Nunes For This Post:
Old 04-26-2011, 04:59:49 AM
Registered-I

Greetings from the North of England!! Looks like a really interesting project you've got there.