Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

MEP018 10KW generator head availability

After running beautifully a total of some 25 hours last fall, my generator failed with two windings...

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 4003 times

Old 04-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Registered-I

Default MEP018 10KW generator head availability

After running beautifully a total of some 25 hours last fall, my generator failed with two windings shorted. Last week I found a cannibalized mep018 set, but it too had two windings shorted.
I don't think I have the expertise and/or tools needed to repair either one of these and joined your group today to see if any of you know if there are any good 10KW/60Hz/3,600 rpm generator heads to be had.
I'm in Virginia and, obviously, the price has to be right.
TIA

Bjorn
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: MEP018 10KW generator head availability

It wasn't the same two winding shorted, was it?
Old 04-18-2011, 07:10 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
It wasn't the same two winding shorted, was it?
No, on my generator, windings T2-T5 and T8-T11 were shorted. The generator was set up for "split phase" operation to power the house. On the replacement I got, the T3-T6 and T9-T12 were shorted.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Registered-I

Here are a couple of images of my MEP018 as it's mounted on the '69 xm757. In service, a 400Hz generator (MEP023A) was used to power the Pershing 1A that was hauled by this vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
xm757 with new top 052908.jpg   xm757 mep018 test 040711.jpg  
Old 04-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Registered-II

I wish you were closer... I'd love to take a look at the two heads, experience tells me that of the two, possibly one would be repairable...
Old 04-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
I wish you were closer... I'd love to take a look at the two heads, experience tells me that of the two, possibly one would be repairable...
This is the replacement I have, I'll be attempting to take it apart for practice, since my original is in better shape and have nothing to lose, it will come apart later. Just don't know about fixing a short if it's within the stator winding...
Attached Thumbnails
scrap genset 041211.jpg  
Old 04-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornb View Post
... Just don't know about fixing a short if it's within the stator winding...
If the short is in the winding itself, it is virtually impossible to 'fix', you need to rewind. Rewinding a coil is not difficult however, and at least for the MEP-004, the manual covers rewinding the coils. There are a lot of old books on rewinding motors (the process for a generator head is identical) and probably some online too. Look for one of the Audels books for example. I may have a book here, but I don't see it right now (I've about 45 ft of ceiling to floor book cases in my office, all full!)

You are supposed to bake the varnish when done, but with today's available epoxy (two part) varnishes you may be able to skip that part. (or just find an old electric range oven and use it for this purpose only!)

The varnish is intended to keep the winding from physically moving, it is not insulation as such. A moving winding turn would 'rub' against its neighbors and eventually rub the wire's insulation off.

Sometimes (if you are lucky) the fault is at the splice where the winding wire (a solid varnish or enamel insulated wire) is connected to the lead wire (a stranded, rubber/cloth or plastic insulated wire). Sometimes these fail.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Registered-I

Thanks, that reads like an encouragement. :-)
I have access to manuals like the TM 5-6115-275-14 and TM 5-764, but often a "teacher's" quick explanation is the way to go.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:21 PM
Subscriber

The two Voltage sense leads V1 and V4 are common to the output leads so you may have only one ground to find, maybe you will get lucky, certainly worth a good look over. Lloyd H
Old 06-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Registered-I

I know where there is a MEP-018A that might be for sale. It's complete and I even have some pictures of it.

The current owner has never got it running, but he's never tried to get it running. I looked at it for purchase but passed it over.

If you're interested I can get in touch with the owner and see if it's still available. It's located in Blackstone, VA

Bobby,

Pictures of the MEP-018A
Old 06-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Subscriber

Couple of things:

Thing 1. I disagree w/ nehog. Rewinding a generator is difficult. If you do it for a living, and have the knowledge and equipment, maybe not so much. But as a total noob? Wow. I rewound one little 400W generator a few years back. It is not easy. IMHO, a MEP-018 is not worth the grief of a rewind.

Maybe I'm an imbecile - Just curious how many other members have actually personally rewound a generator? Was it easy?

Thing 2. Are you sure these sets have shorts? I've worked on a lot of these sets and never seen a shorted stator. Let alone two with the same issue. Certainly it's not impossible, but I'm just questioning your method to determine it was shorted. How did you determine this? (best way I can think of is to disconnect the big 'dog-bone' cable at the generator and measure between the pins) If a visual inspection turned up burned windings, that would be noteworthy.

Did you overload your set before it failed? Did it emit smoke? Do you have a known-good voltage regulator? If so, then probably you do have a short. Otherwise, let's think this over...
Old 06-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Registered-II

Jim, in many ways you are right, it is not trivial, and I may have implied (or said!) it was.

I've done many motors and generators over the years, and I still will say it is not technically difficult as long as you work carefully. It is tedious, and takes a lot of time, however. Not many special tools are needed (an oven to bake the enamel/varnish is good, but epoxy varnishes are possible without baking.)

It is also possible to repair a winding if one wishes to try it. One bad coil doesn't condemn the others, if (big if...) you can get the bad one out, and a new one in without disturbing the existing winding, and that the existing windings are in good condition (not flaking insulation, for example.)

I also agree with your comment about seeing two failed stators. It is very rare to find one, and to have two is even more rare. But, to be fair, it can happen, I've seen stranger things.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Registered

I have a generator head off an MEP-018 available. Has under 100 hrs on it and was working fine when the nose of the camshaft broke off and trashed the engine. Pm Me... In Lubbock, TX.

Last edited by BTPost; 08-18-2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Policy Violation...
Old 04-06-2012, 05:48 AM
Registered-I

Following some research, my conclusion is that the reason for the generator head failure was an unbalanced load. The unit was set up for 240VAC and using just one leg (120VAC) for an extended period of time running a welding generator, the unit overheated...
Still want to find a replacement head or a complete "parts" mep-018a reasonably close to the western part of Virginia.
Attached Thumbnails
10kw generator head dirt 1 060511.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 07:19 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Following some research, my conclusion is that the reason for the generator head failure was an unbalanced load. The unit was set up for 240VAC and using just one leg (120VAC) for an extended period of time running a welding generator, the unit overheated...
Still want to find a replacement head or a complete "parts" mep-018a reasonably close to the western part of Virginia.
PM sent.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Unbalanced? sure it was unbalanced, but it takes an overload to burn a winding. Unbalance won't do it. Too much current will. (rocks and pebbles flying around in the generator might cause the problem too )
Old 01-17-2014, 09:40 AM
Registered

I suspect I will be looking for a stator for a MEP018A for a reasonable price. I am in the middle Georgia area. Mine has a winding short to ground. The winding still puts out, but when you hook it up, it shorts out the generator. Disconnect that winding and the generator does not load down the engine when the flash switch is applied. Exciter has been taken out for repair. This long wet summer last year caused me a number of problems with my machines. This is one of several I suspect.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Registered

Quadfather, I'm in Douglas, GA and have an MEP-018A genset and need the two electrical whips; one for the engine to control panel; and one from the engine to the generator. The one from the engine to the generator is a 12 wire (round prongs) female to female. And the one from the engine to the control panel is an eight wire male to female (again roung prong) connection. Do you have any ideas there I may purchase these two items. Both would appear to have to be prox one foot long. Appreciate your feedback!

Thanks,

Wayne 912-383-2644
Old 01-21-2014, 02:53 PM
Registered-I

RE last 2 posts, noticed on ebay someone in N Carolina parting out some 018's. Serch Hercules military generator. A one point they had 4.