Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

Cub Cadet 1864 Starter Problem

1997 Cub Cadet 1864 Kohler CH18S Spec. No. 62509 S/N 2413302087 565 Hours Last summer the starter...

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2966 times

Old 04-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Subscriber

Question Cub Cadet 1864 Starter Problem

1997 Cub Cadet 1864
Kohler CH18S
Spec. No. 62509
S/N 2413302087
565 Hours

Last summer the starter solenoid would intermittently engage, but nor far enough to close the contact to send power to the starter motor. Other times it worked just fine.
I disassembled, cleaned, lubed, and tested the solenoid/starter assembly. All tests passed, found that it would work as expected every time when not mounted to the engine. Solenoid drives the gear out, starter motor spins every time. The gears on the starter and engine don’t look damaged. Could this be an alignment problem between the engine and starter? There is a bit of movement available. Battery is new and fully charged.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Cub Cadet 1864 Starter Problem

I'd say to check all wiring to the starter,and the ground's on the motor and chassis.I've had bad spot's in wires under the insulation before also.The wire's look ok but look for or feel the wires for bumpy spot's or area's where they may have been hot or corroded under the insulation.Mabe the switch is getting bad?? Try jumping past the switch and see what happen's.
The Following User Says Thank You to grub54891:
Old 04-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,602 Times in 2,333 Posts
Exclamation Re: Cub Cadet 1864 Starter Problem

When you test the starter, is it supported as it is mounted on the engine, or is it just laying on the bench? The selenoid coils may be weak. I have had them work fine on the bench, and when mounted, cannot work reliably against gravity, when mounted. As mentioned above, check your grounds. Make sure that the engine is grounded properly, and that the starter mounrs are clean and shiny, where it mounts to the engine Have you checked the motor armature for wear? If the commutater is worn, the mica segment seperaters may be obstructing full contact with the brushes. Just a thought.

Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey:
Old 04-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered-III

Years ago I had a Cub Cadet with the 20hp Kohler, I believe it was a 2072. It was about a 1988 model (I bought it used). I had the same problem in about 2001 and had about 500-600 hours on it. Did all the things you describe. Dealer suggested a new starter. Said Kohler had improved the design in about 1999 or 2000 and his shop would not do anything with a unit with the old style starter except replace it if the tractor had more than 250 hours. I don't know if there was a lot of truth to this or if he was just selling complete starters but the new one was different than the old one and worked good. As I recall it was about $125 then and that unit was such a pain to pull the starter it seemed worth it. That was an opposed 2 cylinder and as I recall you had to remove the shrouds on the right head, bend slightly another shroud, jack up the right side of the engine, engine mounts are h**l to remove and your hands looked like hamburger when you were done. You might check with a good Cub or Kohler dealer to see if your starter has been superseded with an impoved version. That tractor taught me that I wanted power steering on my regular mowing tractor and that i didn't want any more opposed twins.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken karrow:
Old 04-24-2011, 03:15 AM
Subscriber

I just put in 2 new ignition modules, so the engine was removed, cleaned, and all ground connections and mounting surfaces are clean and solid.
I think the starter motor itself is good, since the failure occurs only when power isn't applied to the motor. If the solenoid does manage to throw the pinion gear out far enough to allow the motor contact to close it spins just fine.
I'll look into a new solenoid Monday.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 7,681 Times in 1,238 Posts

Rex, I also own a 1864 Cub Cadet and had the same problem as you. I tried several things as you did but found my problem was the molded cable ends. I cut off the factory ends and bought the old clamp on ends. I am eventually going to replace them with some heavy duty stak-ons and use the marine type battery terminals,the ones with a bolt.
And how is the Fairbanks coming along??? I don't want to steal your thread but inquiring minds want too know!!!

More engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Van Hook:
Old 04-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Subscriber

You have my deepest sympathy for being a 1864 owner. I'll send you pictures of the improvements I've made in an effort to make it actually useable. I already have the clamp on cable ends which aren't ideal, but do work. Send me a picture of the marine type terminals you mentioned.

The 1864 is a short timer here, I'm doing research on a replacement for it.

The Fairbanks hasn't changed since you saw it at Rainesville. It will be resting quietly in the garage until an new cart is made, which won't be any time soon.

Hope to see you at a show or two this summer.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 7,681 Times in 1,238 Posts
Photo Re: Cub Cadet 1864 Starter Problem

Rex, Here is a picture of the cable ends I used on my truck. The gold color grease is Copper Sheild by Thomas & Betts. It helps a little on the connection but I use it more for a sealer to help keep the air out of the connection as it helps slow oxidation. Some guys I know use Never Seize on their terminals.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery Terminals 003.JPG  

More engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
Old 01-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Registered

I had a little starting problem with my 1864 but a new battery solved it, I wish you could be that lucky.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

I had a little starting problem with my 1864 but a new battery solved it.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Subscriber

Mine was a clicker, several times and it starts.I put a small GM relay at the starter. key switch works the relay and it works the starter . I got tired of using a screwdriver to start it. From the key switch threw the blade clutch switch on to the clutch pedal switch, a large plug connector then the start wire goes to the starter. voltage drops as you go from one end to the other. The relay solved the problem. Tom