Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Tractor Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Tractor Talk Vintage farm tractors and mounted implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Tractor Talk

How to shut off John Deere B Magneto

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 4069 times

Old 04-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Registered

Default How to shut off John Deere B Magneto

My son just bought a 1944 John Deere B with a WICO model 'c' mag on it. The mag is new and has excellent spark but whomever installed it did not hook up any wires to any type of switch. The fella we got it from would just shut off the gas and let the fuel bowl run empty. I am not familiar with Deere (only Allis Chalmers and IHC) I would remove the cover of the mag but I don't want to mess the timing up. Is there supposed to be a wire or two from the mag and if so where do they go in the mag? Is it safe for me to remove the cover? All the other mag tractors I've had have a switch that takes the ground away from the mag. thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: How to shut off John Deere B Magneto

hi
I don't think there is anything foreseen to hook it to the ground. On some Deeres you can stop them with just the throttle. We usually just shut off the gas or close 1 needle.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,322 Times in 650 Posts

We had a '49 A with the Wico and that's the way we shut 'er off. The throttle closed enough that it would stop.

My boss's '48 G, we'd just shut the fuel/gas control to "off" and it would die in a few minutes. If I timed it right, I'd close that off and back it into the shed where it would die just about where I wanted it to stop!
Old 04-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Subscriber

If you are wanting a kill switch on the tractor in case your son gets in a jam and needs to shut it off quickly, just hook up a wire from the points to a push/pull switch and then to ground. When the switch is pushed in and the points are grounded the tractor will shut off. I've seen mag caps with a small hole drilled in them to run the wire to the points. Other mags have an external condensor terminal and you can hook the wire there. (same as hooking it at the points)
Old 04-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Registered

thanks, I think I will opt for the kill switch like Gary described. I found a small hole with a tiny bead of silicone on the side of the cap, maybe that'll work for the wire.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Subscriber

Does it have a stud on the side in about the middle? It would probably be about 3/16 bolt size & take about a 3/8 wrench. If so just hook your ground wire/kill switch to this & you are all set.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Registered

I've got a '43 "B" w/ a wico X mag. & it has a terminal on the side connected to the points. ground this & she's dead. But talking to some of the tractor club members who own JD's all recommend turning off the gas to drain the carb. I've done it both ways & if I turn off the gas & then go through a restart it will fire up in a couple of compression strokes. If using the electrical kill it takes awhile to clear the gas(slightly flooded). Sense it is a hand start I prefer to to shut off the gas, especially if will set for awhile.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Subscriber

I agree.......They are much easier starting ,if you turn OFF the GAS.I have several A's & B's & that is how I shut them off. I think,the reason for the flooding or excess gas in the cylinder's,is that with the weight of the flywheel the momentum keeps it spinning for quite awhile,& it is sucking more gas in every revolution.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Registered-III

Wico put shut off terminals on Wico A, C, & XH mags and there were and still are kits with wire, insulators and stud to do so yet today if you want a safety cut off switch of some kind on it. On that Wico C you see a rounded flat spot on the uppper side of aluminum housing that is where you drill a 1/4" hole to add the terminal kit. I put them on mags if people want them and other mag parts places sell those terminal kits or parts for it. They didn't put the shut off terminals on most mags for the JDs because JD recommended to shut down the engine by switching fuel valve from distillate fuel to gasoline that cleans the plugs off and then shut the fuel off and it will restart easier next time. Even running them now only on gasoline it's still best to just shut the fuel off and let it run out when going to be sitting for a while.