Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan Emerald III - Cranks but will not start

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 4649 times

Old 04-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Registered

Default Onan Emerald III - Cranks but will not start

I have a 1987 Holiday Rambler Imperial w/ 454 gas engine.
My generator runs off the main engine gas tank & is a:
Onan Emerald III Genset
Model: 6.5NHE-1R26100A
Serial: K860851752

It quit on me last summer while camping in an unshaded location with the air temp between 95 & 100 degrees. I was running both a/c units among other things. After several days of this, it sputtered a few times and quit. As this was near the end of our trip, I decided to wait until I got home to check it out.

The generator is full of oil & the engine tank is full of gas & the pull-out fuse on the generator is good.
I've have spark but no gas. I have a clear in-line fuel filter that I changed and can see that no fuel is being drawn through it.

I have a small Facet fuel pump mounted on the generator with 1 black wire going into the side of it. If I apply 12vdc to this black wire, my fuel pump operates & my generator will start & run.

Any guesses as to what component may have gone out to cause this problem.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Onan Emerald III - Cranks but will not start

1st Try a oil sending unit. That is usully it. I carry a spare with me it is so common.
Then maybe the brush set, But only if it has HIGH hours OR after sitting A LOT (this only happened 1 time in many years) Keep us posted on how its going
Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to TheToolman:
Old 04-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,899 Posts

I am thinking the fuel shut off, pump & coil are supplied from the same 12V source. You should have power to the fuel pump if you have power to the coil.
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/900-0196.pdf
The above link is to the UN generator manual & has many wiring diagrams. It is slow to download, so give it time.

Last edited by Max Thompson; 04-24-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: add link
The Following User Says Thank You to Max Thompson:
Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Registered-I

trace the fuel pump black wire does it go to the control connector or a small black square or round box with 4 wire connections on it?

A few of the early ones had the fuel pump powered by ac output voltage through a recifier turning it to dc.

others where powered by the control board
The Following User Says Thank You to kg5388:
Old 04-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Registered-II

Unfortunately the UN manual doesn't cover the NHE spec A Generator you have.
Here is the link to your correct Spec A maintenance manual. In it, is a good troubleshooting section and wiring diagrams that should be for your unit. http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/940-0502.pdf
The first question I have for trouble shooting is .... When you got it to run , was it making electricity? If not, the generator will not stay running, unless you hold in the start switch, and if the control board is bad, it may not even crank then. If the manual is as good as the one for my 6.5 NHE FA26100(E) you will find the resistance values for your windings and troubleshooting guides to check out both the regulator and controller card. There are a lot of things that can cause your trouble. try and check your brushes and slip rings first, check all connections for clean tight contacts, etc. Look at the back of your controller card for burnt traces, etc. It will take time but it is worth it . Good luck, and keep us posted. There is a lot of good expert advice on this board.
Good luck!