Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Lunkenheimer brass grease cups.

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2882 times

Old 05-03-2003, 11:54 PM
Alex

Default Lunkenheimer brass grease cups.

Okay...just got outbid on some Lunkenheimer brass grease cups on EBAY...no big deal....WAH!!! Sniffle!...Sniffle!...but...it got me to thinking. Does anyone out there know if Lunkenheimer made their grease cups for specific engine makers? Or were they sold on an open market and if an engine maker felt like adding extra cost they went with the quality of the brass grease cups as opposed to the cheap painted ones. All the engines that I've ever fooled around with and have seen usually just have the painted variety of grease cup. And guy's like me for whatever reason..."dress"...their engines up with the fancier shiney ones. So...I like to add the brass ones and specifically Lunkenheimer's cuz I think I get hypnotized by that shiney brass even though I know for sure that the engines that I am putting them on never had them in the first place. Just one of those sort of questions that makes you go..."Hmmmmmm"? Anybody have any insight into this weird thought on this particularly slow Saturday night? Thanks...I'll sleep better knowing what this is all about!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2003, 12:43 AM
Bill Schaller

Default Re: Lunkenheimer brass grease cups.

High quality engines got high quality parts. Most marine engines have brass, too. when the cheap ones broke, people ordered good ones.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Alex

Makes sense Bill. I must of been too tired to think straight. Let me think...Uhmmmm....I guess I've got no high quality engines? No, my DETROIT 3 h.p. come to think of it has alot of brass and also has brass grease cups. I forgot all about it last night. Thanks Bill, I slept all right anyways and didn't let this bother me too much!
Old 05-04-2003, 11:36 AM
Eugene Borsoff

New brass grease cups, oilers, and much more are available. Go to: www.essexbrass.com, their catalog is on line. Give them a telephone call and request a catalog and price sheet. They will sell directly to you.
Old 05-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Bill Schaller

alex, I don't know how many quality engines you have, but what makes you think they have the original grease cups? Those lunkenheimers you are buying had to come from somewhere, they didn't just store them in a warehouse for 75 years waiting for you to need them. They may just have been taken off of a high quality engine at some time, probably the day before the auction, so they could put cheap stamped steel ones on, and sell the lunkenheimers individually. Before the auction, the mags come off, the mixers might come off, the clutch pulleys might come off, and the lunkenheimer oilers and grease cups come off for sure. maximise the profit.
Old 05-04-2003, 12:41 PM
Bill Schaller

Oh, I forgot. they take the primers off, too. I get mad just thinking about it.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:29 PM
DANIEL DORECE

WOW! you must be going to some mighty crummy auctions lately.

DAN
Old 05-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Joe Morris

Don't know about grease cups and what companies used them. But I was suprised to learn the other day when they were doing some maintanance on escalators in a local mall that they still use drip oilers on them. Joe Morris
Old 05-04-2003, 05:40 PM
Alex

Bill,

I've sorta got to agree with you...Not always but alot of times...sometimes it's kinda funny or maybe just coincidence but it is amazing how many engines you do come across that are missing those preverbial very important parts such as mixers, mags and oilers....this occurs at auctions as well as at private sellers....then prospective..."new"...owners come along and spend money restoring these same engines that were..."robbed"...of their hard to find and expensive parts. Well...I guess that's what makes this so fun....Have a good one.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Andy Albrecht

Don't take offence but Essex oilers and greese cups compaired to Lunkinheimer items, is like compairing Volkswagens and Cadilacs. Just my Opinion, maybe being from Cincinnati, Ohio where the Lunkinheimer plant was has something to do with it. Over the years i have rounded up alot of oilers and cups off of old machinery being craped out. More then i have engines for. Kinda like collecting engines.