Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

Kohler coil too hot to touch --stalls

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 3154 times

Old 05-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Subscriber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry Kohler coil too hot to touch --stalls

My old Cub Cadet with 12 hp. Kohler stops running after 15 minutes of use, can be restarted, and repeats the procedure more and more frequently. I noticed the coil is too hot to touch after several minutes of use. Should I blame the coil or something beyond the coil. I wouldn't expect it to get so hot.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 PM
In Memory Of

Liked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts
Default Re: Kohler coil too hot to touch --stalls

K-series Kohler engine SHOULD be equipped with a internal resistor 12 volt coil. Someone may have installed a NON-resister 12 volt coil. Also check your point to see it you can see any heat damage to the points. I seam to get this problem in cycles. Last year I had three K-series engine show-up that had the wrong coil installed.

Kent
Old 05-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Subscriber

Liked 2,637 Times in 1,358 Posts

If that is the case as Kent stated, and the coil is not completely cooked, an off the shelf series resistor from your local auto parts store will take care of it.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 05-28-2011, 06:59 AM
Subscriber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was aware of resistor coils and and recall from my earlier working days in car shops that we used a porcelin resistor at the coil positive post ,I think it was. So, is there some way I can determine if my coil is a resistor style? Thanks
Old 05-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Registered-II

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

with an amp meter, it will be pulling twice the normal current if it has no internal resistor. The 12 hp kohler i was just working on I noticed the points stayed down for some time during a cycle, longer than I've seen in other engines, that would cause coil overheating if it was running without a resistor. I have run 6V coils on 12V and they worked ok, but they had shorter on times per cycle.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Subscriber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Kohler coil too hot to touch --stalls

Thanks for tip about the amp meter test.--I think the problem is resolved, by replacing the coil. The old coil must have been a resistor coil because when I added a resistor to circuit the engine would not start or run, so I bit the bullet and got a new coil. Appears to run as expected. Interesting though, this new coli also gets hot but certainly not as hot as the original. I can understand the long dwell time may create more heat. Thanks
Old 05-29-2011, 02:27 PM
In Memory Of

Liked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts

The dwell time on a K-series Kohler is, The points close at the beginning of the intake stroke. They then open when spark is needed near the end of the compression stroke. Then they STAY open to the beginning of the next intake stroke.

Kent